Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Important moo discussion; How they have become "construction site groupies"

Posted by kidlesskim 
Important moo discussion; How they have become "construction site groupies"
September 05, 2008
"Do you seek out big machines?....... You know, excavators, graders, rollers, backhoes, cement trucks...we spent 30 minutes at the local site today (not our first visit either) as they fed concrete from a crane down a big tube into the form for the new floor of a building.... I let ds watch construction videos so I can take a shower in the morning. It keeps him out of mischief. So, I was glad today to be a CSG (construction site groupie) and watch the real thing instead of the box at home....."eye rolling smiley

"We're anxiously awaiting warmer, dryer weather so we can walk over to the new houses going up. That kept my son entertained all summer!"

"We (me, DH, and 29-month-old DS) are not only construction site groupies, we're also city bus groupies (my big excitement this New Year's Eve day was taking the city bus to some downtown construction sites -- whoopee!) and trucks-of-any-kind groupies. I can't believe how much I know about this stuff now!" doh face

"I read somewhere that some little ones and I do know at least one little girl toddler who watched FOR TWO HOURS STRAIGHT some street construction going on outside her house, so it's not just these boys!"

"I would NEVER have predicted that I would get so into construction sites and earth-moving equipment. Even when I'm driving alone now, I can find myself going, "Wow, cool hydraulic excavator..." What's happened to me?!"

"Now it's a daily outting. Sometimes, I even go looking for them because I know DS will enjoy watching sooo very much--tractors! Loaders! Lifters! Cranes! CEMENT MIXERS!"

"... I had to put my car in reverse today because we left the scene of a cement mixer too fast for DD's liking! The workers looked at me knowingly, so I know that I'm not the first parent with a kid in a car seat to sit and watch the equipment! Much better entertainment than TV!"

"Hi! My name is Sarah... And I too am a construction site groupie. Not to exclude train yards and big equipment rental yards. I find myself enjoying the experience more than my almost-two-year-old....."

"...And I lust for the GIANT Excevator featured in the My First Truck Board Book......I was thinking it might be fun to rent a forklift for an hour when my son turns two (in three weeks). What do you think?"eye rolling smiley

"Got to admit that the day they put the crane together for our corner site ... they closed off the block to assemble it ... was really exciting. Sat at the window and watched it go up......"eye rolling smiley

"...we'd take lots of pictures at construction sights and made a book to get through those stay at home days... one day my best friend had set up a big surprise with some friends,,we went to have a picnic at a construction site and they were expecting us. Aaron got to get in some of the equipment,,have his picture taken,,even some with him sitting in the big front loader scoop..that was a great day!..."

".....at work we had cranes come twice to install big satellite dishes...we invigted everyone we knew with kids. It was a party!"sleeping

"Front loaders, back hoes, bulldozers,excavators, etc. are the most exciting, thrilling thing in the world right now......."

"Oh yes, garbage trucks (DS knows several different types; seeing one pick up two dumpsters at the MN State Fair this summer was the absolute highlight of that multidimensional experience......"

"...But it's the RECYCLING TRUCK that truly melts DS's butter. Wowee, it dumps, it picks up, it has multiple containers, the guy throws bags, it's noisy -- what more could a toddler want? He was Recycling Man for Halloween......."

"Me, DD and DH have all indulged in it. Lots of sites in midtown Manhattan to choose from. . ."

"....The otherday were lucky enough to come upon an empty work sight where they had moved the house just clear of the basement and hadn't roped it off so we trudged through the mud (in our sunday best mind you) to take a good look at the basement and the underside of the house. She was totally stoked for days about it......"confused smiley

"... I enjoy finding the sites as much as my son does. I am so sad when I pass a good site and he is not along......":bawl

sleeping I would have to think long and hard to dream up an activity that would be MORE boring than scoping out construction sites.sleeping
Weeeell, I have to say I find this rather innocent and charming. I'm probably biased because I find it interesting to see how the stuff I take for granted (roads, sidewalks, buildings) is actually made. And this is sweet:

"we went to have a picnic at a construction site and they were expecting us. Aaron got to get in some of the equipment,,have his picture taken,,even some with him sitting in the big front loader scoop..that was a great day!..."

What could be more charming than tough, burly construction guys who go out of their way to make a kid happy? I thought that was very nice. I wouldn't want to be trapped there for hours with an enthralled kid, though, or any kid. But by myself I might find an inconspicuous spot and hang out a bit seeing how something is done.

And this is an activity for the PNB set I think. They're out, they're taking a walk, having a nice picnic, doing something free, interacting with the guys--nothing about play stations or buying something or upping the ante with the joneses with a new Wii or what have you.

But yeah. For anyone not interested in the process (e.g., normal people) this would be stultifying.
Maybe some of the moms are checking out the construction workers, too. cowboy
I think they're just fascinated by this concept called "work" and want to see it for themselves without actually having to engage in it.

Cristabel.
I think they're just fascinated by this concept called "work" and want to see it for themselves without actually having to engage in it.

Ha! Yeah, like going to the zoo to see the exotic, unfamiliar animals...
"...And I lust for the GIANT Excevator featured in the My First Truck Board Book......I was thinking it might be fun to rent a forklift for an hour when my son turns two (in three weeks). What do you think?"

Lust? Giant? I think someone needs to kick the kids out of the famblee bed and get laid!

Renting a forklift for an hour doesn't really sound all that safe if moo is planning on driving it.

I do have to agree with Clematis, this is a nice, free, educational outing for kids, as long as they're keeping their distance and not bothering the workers. My husband is the type who would have found this interesting as a child.
Re: Important moo discussion; How they have become "construction site groupies"
September 05, 2008
I remember spending a delightful glorious summer at the age of 10 watching them replace the street in front of my mom's house. I have no problems with folks watching construction, because then there's the hope that they might realize that people make these things, and they don't just magically appear. I always enjoyed school field trips to work environments.

"It truly is the one commonality that every designation of humans you can think of has, there's at least one asshole."
--Me
On the other hand, this comment was clearly made by a twit:

"...And I lust for the GIANT Excevator featured in the My First Truck Board Book......I was thinking it might be fun to rent a forklift for an hour when my son turns two (in three weeks). What do you think?"

No one lusts for an excAvator. But I'll betcha dollars to doughnuts she wants to be the first mom on her block--and she wants to let everyone know she's the first mom on the block--to have construction equipment at her son's 2nd birthday party just to be The Cool Mom in the endless Mommy Wars. 'Cause then she'll be so hip to have thought of it when everyone else obviously can't think of anything more original than a cake and some balloons.

Here's hoping Twittina drives the thing right into the side of the house, hits the wrong button in panic, and raises the forks, ripping 10 feet of siding off the side of the wall. Hip!
I have a nephew who loves trucks of all kinds, and I babysat a kid who could name any kind of heavy equipment when he was like 3.

Me, I have a thing for the tow trucks that pick up big rigs.
Jeezus you'd never let a kid linger round a British construction site. Not unless you wanted your 5 year old tugging your sleeve later and asking "Mummy? What's a hairy fah-king cahhhnt?"

- - - - - - - -
"The death of creativity is a pram in the hallway"
- Cyril Connolly
"... I had to put my car in reverse today because we left the scene of a cement mixer too fast for DD's liking!"

Glad to see who's in charge in THAT family. sad smiley

".....at work we had cranes come twice to install big satellite dishes...we invigted everyone we knew with kids. It was a party!"

So, all the breeders and their brats stood around watching the cranes while everyone ELSE continued working. Typical. eye rolling smiley
I hadn't realized that watching construction sites was such a popular past time.tongue sticking out smiley I had to analyze myself to determine why it doesn't appeal to me in the least and it didn't take me long. When I was 4, they paved the gravel circular road around my grandmother's house with a black top asphalt. I couldn't ride my go-cart or bike for a WHOLE week,bouncing and laughing Also, it stunk to high heaven and the tar was always getting all over me for weeks on end. Reason #2 is every time I get near one those sites the grubbiest, nastiest, grossest, will work for cash by the day men bellow out at me and I hate it. Reason #3 is when I see construction, I know there will likely be traffic delays and people drive like idiots around construction areas and I have a severe case of road rage. angry flipping off

If it wasn't for all of that, maybe I'd sling out a red and white checked picnic blanket and a bucket of chicken and just "lust" away after their HUGE "excevators". tongue sticking out smiley
I would think taking Brattina or Bratleigh to see construction equipment cute, but I'd be just as happy if the little fuckers stayed out of public space until they're 18.

I have many intellectual interests but construction equipment is not one of them. Trust Moos to come up with somethin which doesn't involve thinking. OF course, Moos don't think, so this may be the best they can do. Not the brats will make the connection between the equipment and WORK.
This is so goddam obvious. The moos are hanging around construction sites hoping some perverts will whistle at them. They use that as a kind of pathetic validation that their sagging boobs and through-the-ringer looks are still somehow appealing to a may-un. And they get the opportunity to bratstalk too.

Fucking pathetic.
Re: Important moo discussion; How they have become "construction site groupies"
September 06, 2008
Wasn't kids' fascination with construction equipment why Tonka toys used to be so popular? If I remember, they had a great line of dump trucks, bulldozers and various cranes, graders, etc. that were ruggedly built metal and lasted for years, even when played with, dare I say, outside.

So this is not a new phenomenon at all, but it sure seems new to these mommies.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login