Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Placenta story (warning: Gross content)

Posted by kidlesskim 
Placenta story (warning: Gross content)
September 17, 2008
"Placenta medicine...my story

I remember the day my midwife told me about placenta medicine, I cried. I loved that birth had so many blessings to offer our family, and the amazing benifits of the placenta were completely news to me. I was so excited when Patricia told me she would gladly encapsulate my placenta for me. Patricia is an amazing midwife, with five kids and a birth center she still finds time to help Mamas like me honor our amazing placentas, and this is our story.......

On October 14th, at 4:17am 2007 my son Grey Fox was blissfully born in the water at Sacred Waters Communty Birthing Center in Eugene, OR. I was blessed with a beautiful, peaceful waterbirth with my partner and my two year old son. The midwives were respectful of our wishes and let us birth unassisted in the water, the way we needed to. Our birth was a sacred expierance and everyone there was in tune with our babies song.

They waited for the "first mother",tugging on the cord, both midwives asking me to try to expell her. Then finally I just reached inside myself and grabbed our placenta, and my son's loving nurturer was born into my hands and lifted out of the water, just like my sweet baby! I was amazed at how beautiful the placenta is, I could not believe it was just thrown away at our first birth. Leaving the cord and placenta intact for a while felt so right to me! We spent a little over an hour in the tub after the birth, I think about 45 minutes of it was waiting for the placenta, the rest of the time was spent just holding both placenta and baby in my hands and floating them about in the water. I watched my new baby play with his cord and rub his face against it as he had in my womb, I touched all the viens and nubs of the cord and placenta, I put my hand inside the amniotic sack were my child had grown all these months. I smelled that wonderful smell of birth, no one was there to sanitize the expierance, it was so sensual.

Later in the day Patricia brought in this great thick paper to make placenta prints. Because of my water birth, all of the blood had been washed off the placenta, so we painted it! The prints turned out beautifully, the tree of life on the placenta is truely remarkable, and I loved that we were honoring our baby's "first mother" this way. Then, about 12 hours after the birth, when we were preparing to leave the birth center, Patricia helped me sever that sacred connection between me and my son, not with a knife, but with a candle. We slowly burned through the cord with two candles, it was so magical to watch the cord pop and sizzle with life. I like thinking about how my baby was born into water, and separated from me with fire, and embraced by this loving earth! We would have left the placenta intact and done a complete lotus birth, leaving the placenta attached to baby until it is dry and he kicks it off on his own, but I wanted Patricia to make me medicine. She did just that! A few days after the birth at one of many home visits, Patricia brought me a jar full of my encapsulated placenta! Just in time too, because I was having extaordinary mood swings, and afterpains. Within a few days of taking my placenta, I started to feel much better. I have struggled with depression in the past and this was much better than any ati-deppression medication I have ever taken. What an amazing organ! And what a shame it is tossed in the garbage everyday in hospitals! I think every woman should have her placenta encapsulated. It should just be a part of the birthing process. Our bodies are making thier own medicine! Amazing medicine!

I know my body and my baby made this medicine just for me. I was immediatley soothed by the medicine, and my baby blues ended within three days of taking my placenta.My energy started coming back, my milk came in full force, the afterpains faded, the bleeding got much lighter, my irritabity went away, and I was able to enjoy my new baby. My son even seemed calmer and happier after I started taking my encapsulated placenta. No wonder animals eat thier placenta's immediately after birthing!

Someday I plan to tell my son about the medicine he made for me by being born, how I'll never need another anti-deppressant because he healed me, and how nature always provides for us. For now I watch him grow knowing everyday is a blessing and loving every minute of it. With post pardem depression, I would have missed out on so much of those precious first weeks without the aid of my placenta medicine. All women should know about this, it's so wrong that this isn't always done for every Mama. It's so important to honor our placenta's and treat birth like the sacred, amazing event that it is!
thank you for supporting placenta encapsulation and for more information on Placentophagy please visit http://placentabenefits.info/ "
Anonymous User
Re: Placenta story (warning: Gross content)
September 17, 2008
I have not the words.

To me, eating placenta is akin to drinking one's own piss or eating one's own shit. Disgusting beyond words, freaky and wrong.
September 17, 2008
Cats and other animals do that. I saw a cat do it once, and it was still gross to watch. It sounded like a crunchy piece of liver. (I'm eating TJ's mushroom turnovers now, BTW. YUM!) To me, it's more akin to cannibalism, or birds eating their own eggs, or what-ever, but that is still a fucked-up story.

Placenta PRINTS?!?!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"I have learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is easy and fun as hell"

:eatu
Anonymous User
September 17, 2008
So much for human evolution. Disgusting and creepy.
September 17, 2008
September 17, 2008
"my son Grey Fox"

Grey Fox is a wine label. Me thinks they had WAY too much. It sure would explain a lot.

To me, eating placenta is akin to drinking one's own piss or eating one's own shit.

Yup. (And I could also say something equally disgusting involving tampons and pads - but I won't. You get the picture.)
September 17, 2008
It's definitely more like consuming menses than like consuming excrement.

"I have learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is easy and fun as hell"

September 17, 2008
That bitch is really wallowing in her own fantasy.eye rolling smiley

And once again, degraded to being food-making livestock, too.
September 17, 2008
I just went back and read the comments made and some of them are nearly as bad as the original post. Here's my top ten pick out of their 60 or so comments.

1)"I honestly think that every woman should have her placenta encapsulated! It is rediculous that placentas are being thrown away in hospitals...... I think that the birth of the placenta should be honored like the birth of the baby, and having consumed my placenta made birth feel very complete.... All mammals eat thier placentas! It is just so useful, I only took about a third of my capsules after my son's birth and still have 2/3 of a jar in my freezer. I take them every now and then when feeling emotionally drained, and I'm saving at least half for menopause later in life."

2)"... I have had problems with serious depression in the past (complete with suicidal tendencies) and was afraid of PPD after birth.... and I ate mine after the birth. I had one bite immediately after and I cooked and ate the rest (it was surprisingly delicious!) two days later...."

3)"I love that you cooked your placenta! My midwife Patricia recently went to mexico to further her midwifery studies and came back with pictures of women eating thier placentas in tacos! I thought that was awesome....."

4)"...I think the consumption of the placenta is the true final stage of birth, it is coming around full circle! Spread the word! Don't let another woman suffer from lack of information! Tell people about this! Talk about your placenta's birth... This amazing organ needs recognition and appreciation! I seriously wish with all my heart that every woman could have her baby gentely, peacefully, and have her placenta encapsulated! What a wonderful world this would be!"

5)"I am currently taking my own placenta pills and even had 5 bits of it raw after birth. My son was born Aug 5. I have to tell you that I LOVE IT!!!...

Here is how I made my own pills

*Take the membranes and cord out of the placenta

*Place placenta (when there is no more blood) in a blender (it will look like ground meat)

*Take it to an excalibur dehydrator on a teflon sheet (it'll take a whole day to dry) turning it half way onto the regular sheet.

*Place it back to the blender (cleaned and dried)

*I found an empty spice bottle to put the capsules in!"

6)"Yes, it was delicious! It had about the consistency of hamburger meat and tasted just the same. I put some steak spices on it and grilled it on a pan. The only difference is that the membrane and veins are very chewy like rubber bands but otherwise tasty! I think every woman should at least try it."

7) "My feelings about how sacred this amazing organ is seem to be very similar to the OP. The thing is, I actually felt bad cutting up my beautiful palcenta. It just felt wrong. I only ended up eating a small amount in the end...it just didn't feel right. I wished I had left it intact and buried it to honour it. I did end up having some PPD. I am now pregnant with number 2 and am wondering what I will do. I would love to stave off PPD but am hesitant to do that to my placenta again."

8) "If you do it the very first day of birthing you don't need to cook the placenta. I did mine totally raw. I think it preserves the nutrients alive if you do it raw. I did had 5 bits of it raw with sea salt and lemon. Then prepared right away the placenta."

9) "How about consuming your placenta, but burying the baby's cord to honor the placenta? I couldn't eat my cord and I ended up throwing it away which seemed like such a waste. I've seen women curl them into a spiral shape and then dry them. I'd love to do that next time and then either save it for my baby or bury it with a tree."

10) "My son's Cranio Sacral Therapist dried her cord in a spiral and she said it turned out beautifully. You can also wrap the cord around something special and it will dry and harden in place! I have herd of cord being dried and wrapped in hemp to make a necklace....there are lot's of great ways to honor the first mother and that sacred connection between mama and baby!"

shrug I can't decide which is the most strange comment. It's either referring to the afterbirth as "sacred" and wanting to "honor" it by burying it, or drying out the umbilical cord and making a necklace out of it.... confused smiley
September 17, 2008
Water, fire, earth...she forgot the 4th classical element, air. As in head.

Ignorance dressed up in mystical nonsense always grates on my nerves. Nature always provides for us? Hm, one thing she provided was water hemlock, North America's most deadly plant. Just one small bite of the fleshy root can kill--if you're lucky, you might survive, but then will have profound amnesia. Nature also provided that water hemlock is common (in Michigan) and looks almost exactly like Queen's Anne Lace, which has a tasty edible root. Thanks Nature! Nature provided other delights for us: neurotoxic fungi, mind-controlling parasites, and a wide variety of poisonous plants, insects, and animals. Nature couldn't care less about us, much less this abysmally self-absorbed (literally) moo.
September 17, 2008
married with rabbits Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think the women who cook it up in the frying pan
> disturb me most. I'm thinking about Hannibal
> Lector feeding that guy his own brain...

Oh yeah, that was definately the most horrific part of the movie to me too. I don't have a PHD in Placentology or anything, but it would seem to me that IF you are going to do it and IF it has any health benefits like they are claiming, then frying it, pureeing it, drying it out and certainly freezing it for years like some of them do would likely greatly reduce or do away with any of the "benefits", so called. They are claiming that even after they dry it up like herbs and store it in the freezer that it can cure even the most serious post partum depression and I just don't believe it. I think that the whole bottle could be replaced with a placebo and they would still claim they reaped the benefits.

I also find it strange and had never heard it up until I read this today, that they consider the placenta as the "first mother" to the kyd, which is why it's to be considered "sacred" or "honored". I wonder where in the world they came up with that? I can't believe I have lived on this earth for over 40 years and consider myself pretty observant, but have never heard of 90% of this nonsense which appears to be widespread throughout the breeder world. I wonder if I have known women who were fanatics about crap like this, but that they had to the good sense not to talk about it in public?
September 17, 2008
"I don't have a PHD in Placentology"

$100 says classes in "The Placenta in Herstory" or "(Me)at: Eating the Goddess Within" or the like will appear in my local university's women's studies department within 5 years.
bratBgone
September 18, 2008
I went through Dunkin' Donuts drive through this morning and got a delicious breakfast sandwich and a coffee. Yum! Until this:

8) "If you do it the very first day of birthing you don't need to cook the placenta. I did mine totally raw. I think it preserves the nutrients alive if you do it raw. I did had 5 bits of it raw with sea salt and lemon. Then prepared right away the placenta."

I feel sick. I thought I was tougher than that!
September 18, 2008
Ugh...well, here's another reason not to eat dinner at a moo's house: You'll get a placenta taco along with your glass of breastmilk.

two faces puking two faces puking two faces puking two faces puking two faces puking
September 18, 2008
I love how many people (mainly Moos and religious zealots) bash the Church of Euthanasia - which gives details on how to prepare human flesh for consumption - but they think it's just so cool and green to eat their afterbirth. I know they will deny this until they are blue in the face, but they are engaging in cannibalism (I know, it's been said). I bet some of these cannibalistic moos would probably cringe if someone asked them to eat a strand of their own hair or a fingernail clipping, but then again, those are not 'sacred organs'.

I recall seeing something on eBaumsWorld forever ago that dealt with this matter -- it was a video of placenta being prepared, pan-fried and served as finger foods or h'ors-dourves to other people. I can't remember if they were told it was placenta or not. I will post it later (am at school ATM and this video may be NSFW).
September 18, 2008
That is just fucking disgusting. The most digusting thing I've ever read. What a god damned whack job.

I just threw up in my mouth.

Cambion, are you serious? The Church of Euthanasia does that? Fuck, no wonder I've never been a meat eater, that shit is just too disgusting for words.
September 18, 2008
(Just stares in horror.)

Those moos...are...eating THEMSELVES?!!doh face

That...is a MILLION times WORSE than making dairy food from private parts!

:scr
Anonymous User
September 18, 2008
Damn, that was a good lunch wasted.
Gigabyte
September 18, 2008
"I just reached inside myself and grabbed our placenta"

This woman put her hands into her stretched out/mark vagina and dig out her placenta.

That is freightening and Jeezus Holee Criest Scary. I am speechless.
Gigabyte
September 18, 2008
kidlesskim Wrote:
> 6)"Yes, it was delicious! It had about the
> consistency of hamburger meat and tasted just the
> same. I put some steak spices on it and grilled it
> on a pan. The only difference is that the membrane
> and veins are very chewy like rubber bands but
> otherwise tasty! I think every woman should at
> least try it."

It was delicious? This moo actually eat placenta. OMG!

I can see next year the moo is going to make placenta burger from their vagaina then sell the Placenta at Fast-Food Resterants like McDonalds, Burger King or Starbucks.

This is some moo-cannibal thing.
September 18, 2008
KidFreeLuvnLife Wrote:
> That is just fucking disgusting. The most
> digusting thing I've ever read. What a god damned
> whack job.
>
> I just threw up in my mouth.
>
> Cambion, are you serious? The Church of
> Euthanasia does that? Fuck, no wonder I've never
> been a meat eater, that shit is just too
> disgusting for words.

The CoE is a joke that some people take seriously, like Scientology. It just never caught on with celebrities, like Scientology did.
September 18, 2008
Just one more story like that and I will refuse to eat.sad smiley
September 18, 2008
Even the Donner Party, which did not take cannibalism lightly, (it was their ONLY remaining option next to starvation, and quite a few of them chose to starve instead), took extra steps to make sure folks did not consume the flesh of their kin. Despite that, some of the "rescue" parties came partially to grief and there is at least one case of a child who was fed her mother's remains due to the fact that there was NOTHING ELSE available.

That was a matter of survival, and it is a far cry from.... placenta tacos. (The last two words should be read with a ~shudder~).

September 18, 2008
About a year ago I watched a documentary about this new age couple in California, that froze the placenta and then at a later date sauteed it and served it at their birht celebration. Guests were eating it and the parents were acting as if it were the most sacred thing in the world.
I almost lost my wine and cheese watching it, but it was like a train wreck I could not look away.
I have heard that some wacko vegans will consume placenta because it is the one meat product not from an exploited animal, or some such tripe...

Ulp, gotta go. Not feeling too good right now...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login