Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

CF holiday plans?

Posted by randomcfchick 
Re: CF holiday plans?
December 24, 2016
Just Mr S and me this weekend. Winter this year is almost abnormally warm - had the A/C on a few days ago - but a great time for outdoor activities
December 24, 2016
Brought my best friend home when we got off work last night, we got drunk and cooked/cleaned. Got up this morning and cleaned some more, then my folks came over and we made enough cookies to put a small army into a diabetic coma. Tomorrow I'm cooking lunch and my parents will be over again, along with another coworker who is a widow with no family in the state. Then bestie might come over later in the evening again. It's been a fun weekend so far, especially since my friend will be moving to Japan in less than a month, so we're enjoying what time we have left.
December 24, 2016
Spent last night drinking potent homemade red wine and watching animated Star Trek. Had a ummm...bang this morning, had some Chinese pan fried dumplings for a late lunch, napped, ate the last of the office party leftovers, did my nails, prepped food for tomorrow, watched Tank Girl (DO NOT JUDGE ME), occasionally dropped into the bedroom to listen to DH read his game show questions (his dream gig. A Game Show Host but the questions are HARD some of them).....and....drinking more wine then have to cut up the kielbasi for tomorrow so it will be ready to plate.....
So not much really.

Only spending two hours with family as DH still has more questions to go over. And of course will be raising my glass to my personal savior's birthday, the one and only, still rocking barefoot at 70, Jimmy Buffett!
December 25, 2016
Same as last year. Going to a friend's house where there will be other friends (all have grown kids, no kids) All have families who they don't communicate with ... much. So us 'black sheep' have flocked together..... and there will also be 4 dogs in the mix.

Was just telling dh this morning how I am so happy that I dont' have to deal with any KYDS over the holidays. It would drive me nuts and I'd probably be sick for new years.

I am have a get-together at my new house for NYE... some of the same people as Christmas plus a few more... still... NO KYDS!!!

I LOVE a 'kydless holiday'

I remember my mother stressing out every year over what to get the nieces and nephews and when to have them over and how to entertain them. WHY?
December 26, 2016
The spouse and I climbed Balsam Lake Mountain of the Catskills 35. The snow was knee deep at the top and there were a couple of college students up there also.
December 26, 2016
starlady
I remember my mother stressing out every year over what to get the nieces and nephews and when to have them over and how to entertain them. WHY?

My MIL does this about her grandkids (my nieces/nephs) from time to time. What a waste of energy!

Spouse and I figured out in the early years of our marriage that they were mostly ungrateful, inattentive brats who refused to learn manners/kindness, so we stopped with gifts. The couple of them that are well-raised and well-behaved get other stuff from us at other times of year (visits, lunch together, etc) in a one-on-one way, so they're not punished for their cousins' terrible manners and values. MIL seems to have eventually figured out that there's no changing the bratty grandkids, so she's finally given up. It took her twenty years to figure out what the spouse and I figured out in two or three. So there was no spending $ on kids who wouldn't appreciate what we got them, or having to practically bulldoze a "thank you" out of them (usually accompanied by a dead-eyed gaze).

This year we spent the day playing board games, eating Chinese food, and drinking wine. No minors, no need to make the holiday something it isn't, no need to watch my behavior in my own home.
December 30, 2016
I may be the only person here unaware of this but I won't be scheduling any more time off during the holidays due to kiddie breaks.

This is the first time in 10 or so years I've had vacation time during the holidays, so I thought it would be good to take 3-4 days this week. Lesson learned: avoid taking vacation during the holidays, spring or summer break unless you want to be surrounded by parents and kids who are on break. The errands I'd planned (middle of the day with very few people around) involved being in stores much busier than when I make my typical late night journeys.

I did take a trip to an aquarium and even though there were little kids everywhere my love for the aquatic life drowned out their noise. Several of the employees mentioned to me that if I were to revisit then the best time would be spring or fall and not on any school breaks. Funny thing about that is I didn't ask about the times when kids wouldn't be around but yet they were perceptive enough to see I enjoy going to the aquarium alone. It didn't stop my bliss at touching the rays though. Noticed the rays became much more inquisitive once the splashing/thrashing kids were bored and went to other parts of the exhibit. One of the rays had so much personality: he/she would float by, breach and present his chin for petting and then swim another foot or two, breach, and come back for more attention. That one was my favorite! Recommend visiting an aquarium if you are interested and have a chance, just avoid breaks and school holidays!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login