Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

"Let's just give "the chyldren" presents for Christmas", famblees

Posted by kidlesskim 
"Let's just give "the chyldren" presents for Christmas", famblees
September 22, 2008
A trip to wallyworld today reminded me that the God awful famblee holidays are around the corner. My family started up several years ago of the adults drawing one name out of the hat to exchange gifts among ourselves, but with the little rule that ALL THE KYDS are to get individual presents from everyone. Now, I am not a greedy person and honestly couldn't care less if I get a gift or not, and I would get my nieces and nephews a gift anyway, but I resent like hell being told to do so. I ESPECIALLY resent it because I am being told to give with no expectation of receiving, since I have no kyds. Another thing that pisses me off about it is that my cousins and I have NEVER exchanged gifts, but since the new rule was put into law I feel OBLIGATED to buy all of their kyds a present, since everyone else does. I have 6 cousins who show up for Christmas and they have a total of 13 kyds between them. The alleged reason for this moratorium on gift giving is that it's "so expensive", well NO SHIT!

Since their kyd load is pretty evenly distributed, they are basically EXCHANGING gifts, which is different than if you outright give THIRTEEN presents, but have no sprog to get HIS gifts. I realize this sounds greedy of me, but it's how I feel. It was one of my cousins(the biggest breeder) who nominated this "policy" and everyone just nodded in agreement and no vote was taken and it just "went into effect". My sister and I are the ONLY two people who have no children out of 9 cousins, so we are the only ones who are affected by this. My sister is a nicer person than I am and childLESS not by choice, and since she is such a breeder pleaser her response to me was, "Oh, come on......Christmas is for the kyds, don't be such a Scrooge!". I call BULLSHIT on that one, I think that it was my oldest breeder cousin's sneaky way to solicit more gifts for her kyds and practically FORCE me to give her kyd's presents.

Money isn't the issue with me on this but rather it's the principle of it. If this wasn't the only time of year I could see everyone, then I would tell them to leave my name out of the hat and I just wouldn't show up. Does anyone else's family do this shit?
Re: "Let's just give "the chyldren" presents for Christmas", famblees
September 22, 2008
kidlesskim Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have 6
> cousins who show up for Christmas and they have a
> total of 13 kyds between them. The alleged reason
> for this moratorium on gift giving is that it's
> "so expensive", well NO SHIT!

That is completely ridiculous, Kim! And YOU're not the greedy one, THEY are! Surely they can see how unfair this is to you... oops, right, who am I kidding - they're BREEDERS!

And I hate this "Xmas is for the kyyyyds" bullshit too. No, it's not, it's for EVERYONE.
I also resent this concept of "kids must have lots of christmas gifts or else they aren't having a REAL christmas". Bull shit. Its a very materialistic and greedy time of year, that's for sure. I think I will volunteer to work at the soup kitchen this year.
September 23, 2008
Christmas, like all holidays, seem to cater to brats.eye rolling smiley

Valentine's Day - candy and cards for kiddies.

Easter Day - candy and eggs for kiddies.

Halloween - candy and costumes for kiddies.

Christmas - candy and presents for kiddies.

No wonder I feel so left out as an adult who LOVES holidays.sad smiley
September 23, 2008
DH and I color eggs every year. It's fun (and we love hardboiled eggs).

The rule about each kid getting an individual present is a bit overdone I'd say. It would be more fair if their names went in the hat along with everyone else's. Have the 'rents give them more presents if they feel they need more; don't extort them from family members who barely see the kids.
Fuck "Christmas is for the kyds" crap, Xmas is my favorite time of year (I love halloween until Xmas) I love egg nog, the classic Xmas shows (rankin bass, like MWR mentioned) decorating the outside and inside. The xmas music, I only buy presents for my mom, mom in law and wife, THATS ALL. oh, me and my sister do a $20.00 gift exchange for each others dogs, its alot of fun!! there are ZERO kids in my family and its great!!!!
Since WHEN is Valentine's a kiddie present day?! I thought it was just for couples, or the mystery admirers. In my circle, the couples would do stuff, and the singles would congragate in a pub for a night out and roundly abuse their single status and the day (it got nicknamed St. Satan's), all in good spirits.
Is the world nuts? What's next, Take All Kids In The Family For Your Honeymoon?
September 23, 2008
Well, I think at least one holiday was exclusively for kids when I was growing up and now is a huge adult holiday and that is Halloween. I read somewhere that more money is spent by adults celebrating Halloween than for Christmas, which is a tad hard to believe but one indication of how this holiday is now marked by adult parties, costumes for adults, the whole deal.
September 23, 2008
Yea, they do the gift grab here at my company also. That would be the day I give money or shop for a gift for a famblee who has kids that they cannot afford. They tried one year making it a "mandatory" participation thing. Yea, good luck with that.

Sorry, any charity shopping we do is for the animal shelter.
September 23, 2008
I'm not looking forward to all the presents I have to fork over this year. seriously. I've gotten away with the gift card trick but you can only do that so much.
For those of us who are obligated to purchase gifts for bratty relatives, I think we all need to use this as an oppirtunity to expand young minds. Sure, these kids would love to get Barbies, video games, and other expensive crap, but we would be doing an educational disservice if we gave in and bought that shit. What kids REALLY want is a nice Atlas, a shiney new dictionary, or perhaps a nice copy of Pride and Prejudice. Imagine the excitement in their eyes as they open a package much the size of an X-box game, but find a delightful thesaurus inside. The look on their faces will be priceless.
September 23, 2008
Great idea!

It's often possible to find good books like those on discount at bookstores...because they're not so popular. How about "Girl of the Limberlost" to illustrate that kids once played outside? Or any book by E. B. White. One of the best birthday presents I got this year was a big wilderness survival guide. Awesome. I now know how to trap fish and make drinking water from a plant. grinning smiley
They're nuts. Why don't they just do this (this is what my ex's family did). Each kid draws another kid's name...then a present is bought for said kid - age appropriate - and with a $20-25 limit. The kids name is put on, but the "from" is left blank, no signed name. Then on the celebration day, each kid gets one present, I guess kind of like from "everyone". It's really simple. Problem solved...and it's way less expensive and filled with less hassle for everyone.

If anything like what's expected at your gathering was my reality, I'd seriously boycott the entire thing and spend the holidays on vacation somewhere. Seriously. Your releatives would get over it...and really, why would they even care if you guys are around?...you don't have kids, and X-mas to them is all about that, so fuck it.

Honestly, after the initial greetings and the obligatory mindless small-talk, do most people even notice you're there? Even in my very non-breeder family, right now x-mas IS more about my niece and nephew than I would've imagined.

Christmas is a beautiful time to hang out at a lodge or do something different...all the decorations, activities, etc. Take advantage of your situation and child free status and enjoy yourself. You know they will, with or without ya! After all, what do they need you or any presents for...they have their children to stare at and bring them unparalleled joy, more than us CF can ever imagine, right? (smirk)
Even better, go to a dollar store and get 'em coloring books and cheap crayons! A buck each and they'll be soooooo disappointed they'll know better than to try to force your hand in something that should come from the heart. Or, tell 'em you've converted and you are now Jewish! Like me! Haaaahaaaahaaaahaaaaahaaaa!bouncing and laughinggrinning smileydrinking coffee:yeah
Books are actually my favorite gifts to receive. I've always been a bookworm, so when I get my twerpy 14 year old cousin a book instead of the Playstation 3 game that he really wants, I don't think my aunt realizes I'm being a bitch. Oh, but I am, I'm being a big old cousin hating, atlas gifting bitch!
September 23, 2008
I got bitched at for donating to animal rescue. Oh, well.
Oh well is right, Rose Red!
bratBgone wrote:

What kids REALLY want is a nice
> Atlas, a shiney new dictionary, or perhaps a nice
> copy of Pride and Prejudice. Imagine the
> excitement in their eyes as they open a package
> much the size of an X-box game, but find a
> delightful thesaurus inside. The look on their
> faces will be priceless.

I was such a budding dork as a kid that I would have enjoyed a dictionary or an Atlas. One year, among some other things, I got a microscope and a history book that was fun and aimed at kids. Those were my two favorite presents from that Xmas.smiling smiley

I usually got toys every year, but they weren't anything high-tech-Barbies, porcelain dolls, action figures, etc. I used to love getting crayons and coloring books in my stocking.
Rose Red Wrote:
> I got bitched at for donating to animal rescue.
> Oh, well.

RR who bitched you out for that? im sure a breeder or breeder pleaser, tell them to fuck off, YA PIKER
September 23, 2008
This might get you disinvited from next year's gift grab bonanza, but you could take all the money you would have spent on gifts and donate it to a wildlife sanctuary/no kill animal shelter/other worthy cause (Planned Parenthood, maybe?). Then give each child a small box with a little certificate inside saying that a donation was made in their name to that organization.

If any of the parents raise holy hell about this, you can always give them the doe-eyed response, "Christmas is SUPPOSED to be about giving." (insert eyelash-bat here)
Rose Red Wrote:
> I got bitched at for donating to animal rescue.
> Oh, well.

I think that's a wonderful gift, RR.
September 23, 2008
I know a couple getting married and I think i'm going to sponsor a tiger for them. Tiger Creek is an awesome sanctuary. If you are living together and you already have your stuff, why not?
KidFreeLuvnLife Wrote:
> Yea, they do the gift grab here at my company
> also. That would be the day I give money or shop
> for a gift for a famblee who has kids that they
> cannot afford. They tried one year making it a
> "mandatory" participation thing. Yea, good luck
> with that.

Your company can't tell you how to spend your money, and if they try to, you can make a complaint with your state labor board. Some companies in my area have tried to make employees do volunteer work during their time off work, and this is illegal (they can't force someone to work without pay).
bratBgone Wrote:
> For those of us who are obligated to purchase
> gifts for bratty relatives, I think we all need to
> use this as an oppirtunity to expand young minds.
> Sure, these kids would love to get Barbies, video
> games, and other expensive crap, but we would be
> doing an educational disservice if we gave in and
> bought that shit. What kids REALLY want is a nice
> Atlas, a shiney new dictionary, or perhaps a nice
> copy of Pride and Prejudice. Imagine the
> excitement in their eyes as they open a package
> much the size of an X-box game, but find a
> delightful thesaurus inside. The look on their
> faces will be priceless.

I think this is an excellent idea. And btw, Pride and Prejudice was one of my favorite books.
September 23, 2008
To Kill a Mockingbird. First rate rendition of what childhood should be.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login