Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

CF blog I just found: Childfree Africa

Posted by yurble 
CF blog I just found: Childfree Africa
July 14, 2018
This article is an interview with the person who started the blog Childfree African for the purpose of giving a voice to "those of us for whom parenting doesn't factor into our plans." Studies show that childfree women feel the most distress when society deems motherhood to be critical, and according to the blog, "African cultures place great importance on family, and by extension, having children. For those that don't want, or can't have children, the consequences of being childfree can be devastating." She goes on to describe societal disdain toward abstaining from parenthood, and specifically motherhood, as a feminist issue.

I've been reading the blog with interest, because it is extremely interesting for me to read about the challenges people face with being CF in different cultures: some of them ones I don't face, some of them exceedingly familiar, like doctors being unwilling to let people practice reproductive freedom and acquire sterilization.
Re: CF blog I just found: Childfree Africa
July 15, 2018
India sounds worse than the US.

Secondly, too often in childfree circles, I see people talking about how people shouldn’t “breed” if they are poor or “stupid” or if they can’t afford children. I believe, however, that this is a red herring. The issue isn’t that people who don’t fit an arbitrary definition of who should be a parent should not be allowed to, but rather that society is severely lacking in infrastructure to accommodate everyone — infrastructure like decent jobs with paid parental leave, fairly compensated care workers, decent housing and affordable health care.

I don't think most people should breed, period. But expecting other tax payers to foot your breeder bill or other lifestyle choice is beyond wrong. It is right up there with people who keep filing bankruptcy and then the cost of goods for everyone keeps increasing. If any tax dollars are going to be spent then they should go to something like health insurance for complications not caused by lifestyle choices that doesn't limit the qualification to famblees, healthcare is outrageously expensive and (some) people don't choose to become sick. And I've been around more than one tax funded breeder who drags the brats to the doctor every time they sneeze because it is free.

And the day care owners could fairly compensate care workers but parents moan about the cost of daycare as it currently is.
July 16, 2018
This blog is about Africa, but I do think women face more pressure in India (and Africa) to reproduce.

I do disagree with the author on the point you mentioned as well, because I think she is rather pronatalist despite not wanting to breed herself. I consider myself liberal, but I come to very different conclusions.

There is the assumption that parenthood is good and must be supported. I disagree; there are too many people on the planet already, so parenthood should be discouraged. It should not be discouraged at a human cost to people who already exist, but support should be provided to children in a way which does not benefit their parents. Child tax credits are an example of a horrible practice which rewards breeding. I want everyone to be fed and educated, and I don't think rich people are more qualified to reproduce, I just want everyone to breed less.

I also will never get behind the idea of parental leave because it is so discriminatory. Sabbaticals, yes, because I think there would be greater happiness if we all had gaps from working to pursue activities that inspire us.
July 16, 2018
yurble
I do disagree with the author on the point you mentioned as well, because I think she is rather pronatalist despite not wanting to breed herself. I consider myself liberal, but I come to very different conclusions.
I had a hard time placing her because she speaks of living in both NYC and Tokyo so I wasn't sure which society she is referring to specifically. And with the blog out of Africa she could also be referring to Africa. Or maybe all three.
Exactly, she sounds pronatalist. I do like the idea of having a blog for Africa that is for the childfree so that they can have the exposure to a way of life they may not know much about. The Africans I know seem to be pro-natalist for the most part and expect most everyone is having kids. I know of one who isn't because his wife is child free.
July 17, 2018
freya
I had a hard time placing her because she speaks of living in both NYC and Tokyo so I wasn't sure which society she is referring to specifically. And with the blog out of Africa she could also be referring to Africa. Or maybe all three.

From what I read, I gathered that she is from Africa, has lived in N. America and Asia, and now lives in Europe.

freya
Exactly, she sounds pronatalist. I do like the idea of having a blog for Africa that is for the childfree so that they can have the exposure to a way of life they may not know much about. The Africans I know seem to be pro-natalist for the most part and expect most everyone is having kids. I know of one who isn't because his wife is child free.

I'm sure there are a range of views on natalism within the CF community, but as an antinatalist myself I find the pronatalist position hard to understand.

Anyhow, what I liked about the blog was that she conducts interviews with a number of CF people and I find it interesting to read the different ways people arrived at that conclusion, and their experiences remaining CF. It's particularly interesting for me to read about the experience in different cultures, to see what is common and what is different. There was one young man who said he was staying celibate for the time being because he could not get access to a vasectomy, and I was really impressed with his strength of conviction. (I'm not sure I would have had that restraint at his age.)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login