Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rise in Whooping Cough and Measles in Children and Adults

Posted by clematis 
Rise in Whooping Cough and Measles in Children and Adults
October 01, 2008
Whooping cough and measles are on the rise, affecting more children and adults, and medical professionals say that no-vax parents are to blame.

Fortunately, adult vaccines for whooping cough (which the CDC recently added to its "recommended for adults" list) and measles are available.

"Some diseases, such as mumps, can tolerate a herd immunity threshold as low as 75 percent. But other, more virulent diseases, such as measles or pertussis, also known as whooping cough, require collective immunity of up to 94 percent to avoid infection, according to the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention."

"Referring to the protection of the entire population, Offit said he's afraid that "we've already dropped below the level of vaccine coverage where herd immunity exists for some diseases. At some point, we're going to be forced to decide whether it is an inalienable right to catch and transmit potentially fatal infections."

"I am infectious diseases physician. There is NO vaccine that produces eternal immunity. Having said that, the outbreaks of whooping cough and measles have been directly traced to parents who don't get their children vaccinated. Generally, the minute constant exposure in the community is enough to maintain lifelong immunity, after initial IgG has been produced after vaccination. With no specific IgG hanging around, and LOTS of susceptible people (who should be getting their DPT vaccinations on a regular basis, if ONLY to update the tetanus component), it follows that whooping cough (the 'P' in the DPT - Bordetella pertussis) will be seen. Same goes for measles, German measles, etc. PARENTS: Make sure your children are VACCINATED!"

Nurse's blog story of a no-vaxed baby who died from whooping cough.
Re: Rise in Whooping Cough and Measles in Children and Adults
October 01, 2008
MORE bullshit because of these goddamned "no-vax" paruhnts. Why should everyone suffer because of these people. Vaccinations should be mandatory, checked against birth records to make sure of compliance. Take your medieval religious beliefs and go shove them! People should not suffer because of these asshats. You do not have the right to give others illness which can be prevented!

BTW dunno about whooping cough, but measles in adults can be EXTREMELY serious.
October 01, 2008
I find it inexcusable that these people are allowed to CHOOSE not to vaccinate and then are allowed to mingle with the general public. If they don't want their kyds vaccinated, for whatever fucked up reason, then the kyd should NOT be allowed to go to public school or mix with the general population until he has been exposed to these diseases or is past the age where they are generally contracted. They should not be allowed on public transportation, in restaurants, etc.......unless they can produce proof of vaccination. What pisses me off the most is that IF their kyd gets one of these common "childhood" illnesses, they will usually recover with treatment and have no lasting ill side effects. However, if an ADULT gets the disease from them it can be deadly or cause irreversible bodily harm.
I'm very scared of whooping cough. I have very bad lungs and something like that could do me in. Not vaxing is extremely inconsiderate and life threatening to the elderly, people with compromised immune systems, and people with chronic diseases, like asthma.

Thankfully, these people are also homeschoolers, because most school systems won't allow nonvaccinated kids to enter school. I know my state won't. The CDC has stated that public schools are one of the worst spreaders of disease already. I can't imagine if no-vax kids were allowed.

When these no-vax kids die of a disease they could have been protected from, I don't want to hear ANY mooing and lowing about it from the media or anywhere else.
October 01, 2008
I don't want to hear any of it, either. The complication rate from modern vaccines is low, compared to the possible results of contracting which ever disease is being contracted against. I'd love to have all these no-vaxers banished to Appalachia where they fucking belong.

Many childhood diseases are much worse when an adult contracts them. As bratBgone has noted, not vaccinating one's child is extremely inconsiderate and life-threatening to the elderly and immune-compromised. I'm at the age where I'll soon have to start getting flu shots and hope I don't catch something from some brat whose trashmoo was too stupid or lazy to do the same for the brat.
October 01, 2008
because most school systems won't allow nonvaccinated kids to enter school.

bratBgone, I wish that were enforced. However, in my state, (Michigan), all parents need to do is fill out a religious/philosophical objection form (I think yearly) and you're exempted from vaxing your public school child. I understand this is also the practice in many other states.
clematis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> because most school systems won't allow
> nonvaccinated kids to enter school.
>
> bratBgone, I wish that were enforced. However, in
> my state, (Michigan), all parents need to do is
> fill out a religious/philosophical objection form
> (I think yearly) and you're exempted from vaxing
> your public school child. I understand this is
> also the practice in many other states.

Yikes!! I guess I was being naive! I know at the school I worked at our office staff was Nazi-like when it came to vaccines. Any parent registering their kid had to have shot records, or they couldn't register. Kids missing shots had to go get them, or they weren't allowed at our school. I don't think there was any type of religious disclaimer.

There was one incident where a child entered our school mid-year from a foster family. He had up to date shot records, after a few days the health dept. contacted our school to let us know that the birth mother that he had been taken away from was being treated for active TB. He was removed from the school until he was cleared. We all were freaking out until he was deemed healthy.
October 01, 2008
Where public health is concerned there should be NO exemption for religious objections. Public health always trumps stupid things like that. Bu many states allow it...Jeezus Keerist! As if the public schools aren't already a hotbed of disease!
October 01, 2008
My understanding of the "no vax" rule is that at this point it's on a school district by district situation and up to the individual pediatricians if they will accept the no vax kyds as patients and many will not. In my area, all they need do is fill out a "no vax" form and I believe they can object for religious, OR philosophical reasons, much like a conscience objector can get out of being drafted. In the elementary school where my MIL is a teacher, if there is ONE outbreak of any of these communicable diseases then the no vax kyds must be kept at home until it's deemed safe to return.

As we all know though, they could STILL contract the disease and it be in it's incubation and CONTAGIOUS period ranging from hours to DAYS before there is an actual case reported. During that time period the "no vax" kyd could have have leaked shitty diapers all over restaurant booth seats, left puddles of piss on the floor at county agencies, smeared green snot all over display cases at the grocery store, sneezed on passersby waiting on a bus or taxi, rolled all over mats at acrobat/karate classes, dripped snot on skating rink floors, sweated all over playland equipment at Mcdonalds, pissed in public pools and waterparks, breathed all over daycare workers and other kyds,coughed all over grandmoo right as she left to go further spread the disease to other old ladies in her quilting class, etc........

A no vax patient zero could literally indirectly infect tens of thousands of people, or more. This is completely senseless, unnecessary, and VERY VERY selfish of these moos. Since they stay knocked up more than not, are'nt they afraid of birth defects caused by these diseases? NO vax should NOT be allowed, but until that happens they need to keep their diseases AT HOME and stay out of the public domain.
October 01, 2008
Again, BREEDER SELFISHNESS. There should be a LAW that says EVERYBODY NEEDS A VACCINATION REGARDLESS.

But hey, don't worry about anybody but yourself. And who cares if your kid comes down with polio or some other horrible disease that could have been prevented with a simple vaccine. You made your little statement and got your way, right? You showed them you know what's best for your kid, right? And you just know you'll be suing the doctor anyway, it's HIS fault your kid doesn't have his vaccinations.

And hey, too bad to those other people in the general public whom your disease-ridden offspring has infected, they'll just have to deal with it, right?

Yes, MDs with degrees and educations don't know what they are talking about. The Center for Disease Control just doesn't have a clue, right breeder moo? Just because you shot that loaf of flesh out of your stinky twat does NOT mean you know what is best for it when it comes to medicine.

Bottom line: breeder got their way and who gives a flying monkey about anybody else!
October 01, 2008
angry flipping offAwwwwww KFLL doncha know if some poor soul gets a disease from these little germ vectors it's Gawd's Will?angry flipping offhot smileyangry flipping offhot smiley
I wonder if someone could actually sue the hell out of a parunt of a nonvaxed child if their brat made them or a loved one seriously ill?
October 01, 2008
Interesting legal question, bratBgone. Unfortunately I would be suprised if it is possible. Any legal eagles available to comment?smiling smiley
October 01, 2008
Good legal question, bratBgone; I agree with Merlyn H. and would like to know, too. Something like..."willful disregard of a community health standard" or some sort of "endangerment"?
October 01, 2008
Maybe this is just me, but I think not vaccinating your child is a form of Munchausen syndrome by proxy.

I recall an article form forever ago that dealt specifically with the whole debate over religious beliefs being against vaccinations, and how tons of parents would lie and say they were of a particular faith that forbade them from having their kids vaccinated.

I really think it should be mandatory for all non-vaxed kids to be home-schooled. Another thing I wonder about...in the event someone's non-vaxed child contracts something that could be prevented,will that child be quarantined like he or she should, or will the parents cry discrimination and inflict Sickleigh on the world? Can people even still be quarantined in this cushy politically-correct country any more?
October 01, 2008
I work in a public school. Thank heavens my mother is a nurse. She can keep me informed about how up to date my vaccinations are and when I need a booster shot of something. I am chock full 'o vaccinated goodness. grinning smiley

Trust me (as if you need to be told) kids are disgusting. And I highly doubt that a parent of an un-vaccinated sprog would be willing to get off their high moral horse long enough to quarantine their child if the need did arise. I dealt with an un-vaccinated girl my age when I was in college. She and her mother were looney tunes, no doubt about it. Daffy Duck has more brains.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login