Advanced

"Free" meals during school closures

Posted by CrabCake 
Re: "Free" meals during school closures
April 20, 2020
freya
CrabCake
yurble
There's a huge difference between a car for transport, and a relatively new car like mr. neptune described. And that is often one of the reasons middle-class people are one month away from bankruptcy: they "have" to have a new cellphone, new car, new TV, and so on. If they had their priorities in order, they'd purchase used cars - as you described your parents doing, and which my parents also did, albeit because they were frugal rather than poor - and set aside money for emergencies. If you have a new car and are financially insecure, you are failing at adulting.

Exactly. I didn't think I was the only one who noticed this about the long food lines seen on the national news lately. On one, the reporter was talking to a guy in the line driving a late model Cadillac sedan, for fuck's sake. We've all heard the statistic saying that something like 60% (I can't remember the exact number but it was high) of people can't absorb a $400 emergency. OF COURSE there are some who are in dire straits by no fault of their own, but it's almost certain they're in a small minority. And government programs like "free" school meals only enables irresponsibility. IMO.

And I did not grow up rich by any means, quite the opposite. My parents probably could have qualified for assistance (this was back in the 60s and 70s) but as far as I know they never did. They both grew up during the Depression and WW2, my mom in Germany. She knew real poverty and knew how to stretch a dollar. We never went hungry, but we lived in a tiny crackerbox with one bathroom, got a few new school clothes every other year only because we outgrew the old ones, and had nothing name brand. We even shared bathwater if you can believe that. My brother and I NEVER got the reduced or free school lunches (they were a thing even back then). So I guess my perspective, like everyone's, is framed by how my parents did it, which is in stark contrast to a LOT of today's breeders who are looking for a handout at every turn.

I don't know what the verification in this particular instance is but to receive benefits from the state a family/person has to go through a verification process and the amount of assets they can own (per family or per single parent) is very low. If they own a newer car then to qualify for benefits they would have to sell it, live off the proceeds and once that (and all other assets) were exhausted they could then apply.

This doesn't stop massive jerks from trying and some will put all assets under another family member's name (outside immediate) to get benefits. There was a story a few years ago of a famblee living in a McMansion (worth over 2 million) who did just this. I don't care where you live, owning a 2 million dollar house isn't poor. That is wealthy from any perspective.

A person who owns a late model Cadillac isn't poor. It is people like this that give the poor a bad rap. It makes me angry that they are taking food away from a person who is either poor or perhaps a little better off than poor but just lost their job.

And the media has their place in this too, why interview the person in the late model Cadillac other than to piss people off watching the news? You know there are hundreds of thousands of people watching that who aren't poor yet couldn't afford a Cadillac.

I can't help but think people who arrive to unrestricted food lines in their late model cars are just lazy asses who don't want to cook or buy food for their famblees.

And the no restrictions on who can obtain food? Guess that explains why so many charities and food banks are begging for money to support school aged children. With all the people who don't need help claiming any food they can get the poor are being left out.

I agree with you regarding late model cars, still, there are SOME that can and do land in the hands of poor people and through honest means. They are called DIVORCE SALES. A spouse ordered to unload a car then give half the proceeds to her cheating mate can and will sell it for a song. My parents had a friend who, while poor as a church mouse managed to get hold of one of these Divorce Sale cars. It was a beautiful car. My parents also got their hands on an older Cadillac that appeared brand new. The former owner had died, and the son wanted the car gone cuz he was in no place to sell it for what it was worth. He was out of state settling his relative's final matters.

There have been a few times where I have shown up at food banks riding in swanky cars, one a brand new Tesla. The car belonged to a driver who volunteered for an organization called People Who Care. This organization helps out those who are largely housebound and most often poor and physically disabled, the givers can be well off or rich, so you are very likely going to bump into some swanky cars turning up at food banks where I live. Many seekers of food banks don't drive themselves.

After my father died and I received 3/4 of his retirement income as my SSD I very seldom use food banks anymore. One might come in handy if there was an issue with the fridge that destroys my food supply. Power outages are an issue where I live. It, however, has been three years I think since I needed such aid. I do still seek out the aid of People Who Care as I've still transportation issues, and I cannot walk anywhere due to nerve damage and incontinence.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
April 21, 2020
Any one remember about 2-3 years ago Donald floated the idea of "America's Harvest Box" for people receiving SNAP benefits? Critics said that food boxes would be "humiliating" to people and there was no way to distribute them. Now with the virus, why all of the sudden does America have food boxes? People don't seem to be humiliated or embarrassed now.

Oh, and as for expensive cars, I have come to the conclusion only fools buy Cadillacs, I mean spend thousands more for a GM car?shrug
April 21, 2020
mr. neptune
Any one remember about 2-3 years ago Donald floated the idea of "America's Harvest Box" for people receiving SNAP benefits? Critics said that food boxes would be "humiliating" to people and there was no way to distribute them. Now with the virus, why all of the sudden does America have food boxes? People don't seem to be humiliated or embarrassed now.

Food boxes have been around sense I was in my teens. That is generally what food banks give out. However, the problem with Harvest Boxes as I understood them was that there was no means to protect allergic brats who are allergic to the planet from allergy attacks or means to prevent persons of religion from getting 'banned foods'. The Harvest boxes were also a means for the super-rich to make serious bank by filling them with crap from Trump's corporate donors and shit.

mr. neptune
Oh, and as for expensive cars, I have come to the conclusion only fools buy Cadillacs, I mean spend thousands more for a GM car?shrug

I assure you, my parents never shelled out more than $500 on a car, even a Cadillac. Second hand and third hand Cadillacs are out there. It is those who land in the hands of the poor with very few exceptions.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login