Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Getting my Paragard IUD next Friday

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Getting my Paragard IUD next Friday
October 03, 2008
Anyone want to share their experiences? Doc doesn't want me on estrogen-based pills anymore, not ready to go permanent yet...

38, nullipara, married
Anonymous User
Re: Getting my Paragard IUD next Friday
October 04, 2008
Hi There!

I've had the Mirena IUD for about 2 years now and would HIGHLY recommend requesting a Xanax (sp?) beforehand to kind of loosen you up (you will need someone to drive you home afterward) and also plan to take the rest of the day off, since you will be experiencing some cramping (kind of like a really bad period). Reason why you want the Xanax is that they have to dilate your cervix, which is not the most pleasant experience, then use a "sound" to measure your uterus (it looks kinda like a dipstick, only without the JiffyLube logo), THEN they place the IUD. The dim-wit doc told me AFTER the whole thing, "Oh, you know you could've had a Xanax beforehand." Even though my feet were in the stirrups, I was about to haul off and make her soccer-mom head like a soccer ball. Fortunately, I out-ranked her and suggested that first of all, she address me as ma'am regardless of the fact that I was wearing a sheet and second that I would be speaking with the Internal Medicine Division Officer as soon as I got dressed, which I did, about following proper protocols and offering this BEFOREHAND. That and mentioning to her and the Division Officer the fact that I personally knew the Commanding Officer of the hospital knocked her for a freakin' loop. Yes, I know that was probably bitchy of me, but hey, you mess with me and I CAN and WILL make you regret it! Fortunately, I now have a primary care provider who is child-free (BELIEVE IT OR NOT, they DO exist in military medicine) and wrote me a referral to OB/GYN for Essure with NO BINGOES and NO HASSLE and in less than 15 minutes for the whole visit--YIPPEE!! Thanks for listening while I vented by the way.

Also, if you haven't done so already, I would also check with the doc to make sure that if you ever need an MRI that you can do so with the Paragard, since I believe that is the copper one whereas Mirena is plastic. I had to have an MRI on my foot last year and they did ask if I had an IUD.

Good luck and I hope the procedure goes well for you!
Anonymous User
October 04, 2008
I did consider Mirena, but I don't like not having periods and I heard that can happen with Mirena.

They did mention I should take 800 mg of Advil. Do you think I should do Xanax as well?
Since you are going to have to get a prescription for the Xanax I would ask for 2 Tylenol # 3 or a Percocet for the procedure as well. IMHO Advil just isn't enough. There shouldn't be a problem with them prescribing this for you as long as you have someone to take you to and from the procedure.
October 04, 2008
Doctors need to be reminded that nullipara women need something to relax/open their uterus.

After so many medical procedures and problems, I could never be dilated in the office. I had to be knocked out for a simple biopsy.

But I did find a doctor who could get a uterine biopsy out of me--he just doped me up before hand with Xanax. I've had VAGINAL BIOPSIES without even a novacaine shot because the doctor didn't want to wait to numb me up. She brought another doctor in to hold my hand. Barbaric.

The point is, find a doctor who is willing to give you something, or shop around until you do. Many doctors are not in tuned or they feel that suffering is just part of any gynecological procedure. Find one who doesn't feel that way.
Anonymous User
October 04, 2008
I'm assuming they don't need to dilate as much as for an abortion, but yeah, if it can be easier I'd rather have it be easier.

I'll call Monday and see what they say.
CFBitchfromLA
October 04, 2008
I had a tubal a while ago, and it was the best choice I ever made.

You go, CCL!
Anonymous User
October 10, 2008
I just came back from the insertion. It went pretty smoothly, and only really hurt for about 10 seconds total.

Now I'm paranoid it's going to fall out, though
Anonymous User
October 10, 2008
CONGRATS!!:bal
October 10, 2008
Oh, glad you got it all taken care of, CCL. smiling smiley If you don't mind, could you keep us updated on your experience with Paragard? Though I'm now leaning toward the permanent route with Essure, I was interested in this IUD for a long while and I still would love to hear more about it.
cfhistorian
October 10, 2008
Hey CCL, I've had a Paragard for 2.5 years now...the insertion was the worst pain of my life, but overall, this was a great decision. I would have preferred sterilization, but I didn't have money/insurance (and still don't), and I was able to get the IUD at my local Planned Parenthood office for less than $100 (I love sliding scale fees). The periods are pretty bad..heavy, with some cramping, but I love that I'm not on hormones anymore. I was on the pill for 5 years and it made me feel emotionally dead, and took away my libido. With my Paragard, I can actually get aroused enough to orgasm, which is a huge deal.
Anonymous User
October 10, 2008
Thanks, cfhistorian. I had my first non-Pill period in forever last month, and there was little cramping but heavier flow. I guess I'll have to look forward to the first period-on-Paragard.

The doc was very cool. The sounding hurt more than the IUD insertion, imo.
October 10, 2008
CFhistorian, I had the same problems with the pills! I took three different kinds throughout the course of my life, and I experienced similar problems. I had no sex drive at ALL on those things...it was awful (and my husband certainly didn't like it, either! 69 sex

I also carried a bit of unnatural weight when I was on them. It was amazing how I dropped around 8 pounds once I quit them (and this was with no change to my dietary or exercise habits).

Nope, not a fan of the pills...it's so good to be off the hormones now. Of course, I need to either do the Essure or an IUD because our current method of protection (condoms and diaphragm) is the pits. It's worked so far, but yeah, I just imagine how great things would be if I didn't have to worry about anything.
October 10, 2008
I got nuthin' cept to say I hope it goes well!
Anonymous User
October 12, 2008
Cfhistorian, et al, did you have trouble finding the strings? i've been checking myself about twice per day since Friday, and am not sure I'm feeling them. would they stick to the walls, or dangle down? I feel something that might be it, but it is sticking to the walls (sorry to be disgusting).
cfhistorian
October 13, 2008
Most of the time, I have trouble finding the strings...I ask my husband to check for them. Depending on the time in your cycle, your cervix might be higher or lower, and hence the strings would be more difficult to find.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login