Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Teen dies while parents pray

Posted by Rose Red 
Teen dies while parents pray
October 06, 2008
http://www.koinlocal6.com/news/state/story.aspx?content_id=3424bfb7-66fb-4aec-97da-a3e663b544e6
Re: Teen dies while parents pray
October 06, 2008
Just goes to show that fundies are a whole bunch of fruitcake.eye rolling smiley
October 06, 2008
*SIGH* So much for, "GAWD will provide."

Ya know, I think I saw Gawd at the wine tastings out here in PA back in June, lots of parties at the local wineries.

No wonder the teen died, Gawd was busy out here in PA partying with the local wine makers and not taking prayer calls on his cell phone.
October 06, 2008
You know they will be released and the charges eventually dropped based on religious beliefs, as they ALWAYS are. This boy probably suffered MONTHS of pain because my guess is that this started out as a simple urinary tract or possibly a kidney infection, which could have been cured in 2 weeks with a $10 bottle of antibiotics. He probably developed a stone from the lack of treatment and it didn't pass through the urethra therby causing the blockage. So, basically the blockage slowly poisoned his system which would have been a grueling and painful death. I have heard men say that a urinary blockage like this can be compared to contractions in childbirth, only I would imagine it's more painful because it isn't a normal bodily function and there is infection present.

I used to get UTI's frequently as a child due to some pee hole problems I was born with and I can attest to the PAIN that they cause. The pain can be so severe that you will double over in pain, have nausea, fever, and trying to pee feels like hot alcohol coming through an already sensitive pee opening that is embedded with dull jagged razors and smoldering embers. For them to allow this boy to suffer in this manner is cruel and unusual punishment as well as voluntary manslaughter. They need to be injected with the same bacteria which caused his infection and let THEM pray for themsleves without the benefit of basic medical care. One thing that really bothers me about their murdering of kyds via religion, is how can we know it wasn't premeditated? For religious fundies, this "murder by prayer" COULD be their equivalent to the suburban "accidental locked in hot car" murders. Any way you cut it, it's murder to some degree. To what degree and how culpable they are depends on how brainwashed, or not, they are themselves.IMO.
October 06, 2008
I wonder if it was Gawd's will that the kid die...I'm surprised it was not construed in that manner.

Any doctor or human individual with half a brain can tell you that infections are bad if left untreated, and can often be treated with very simple (and cheap, if one has insurance) antibiotics. I know some people like to try and impress everyone else by not getting medication for illnesses, but it is cruel and heartless to subject another human being to those beliefs.

IMHO, I think people whose religion dictates that they cannot seek medical care should be sterilized as part of initiation into said religion. If you want to fucking die from an ear infection that spreads to the brain, then go for it, if it will make you feel proud as you lay in your casket while people talk about how stupid you were for not getting treatment. But do NOT deny your children medical attention...even something relatively minor like a cavity or a respiratory infection could become fatal if it is not treated. People who torture their children like this are mentally unstable - no parent who loves his or her child would put them through such hell for Gawd.
October 06, 2008
Examining the rationale for denying modern medical care: from the church's Wikipedia page:

"The church is Pentecostal in origin, and believes in a literal interpretation of Scripture, including in [sic] the power of faith healing"

Presumably the church denies modern medical care because such practices are not in the Bible and therefore "ungodly."

Lots of other things are not in the Bible if you approach the "literal interpretation" with integrity.

--cars
--electricity

Then there are tons of prohibitions:

--non-scaly non-finny fish (no Red Lobster or White Castle clam strips)
--pork
--no garments of mingled fibers (poly-cotton is out)

And some uncomfortable endorsements:

--stoning adulterers
--owning slaves

I always have to laugh at these literal-Bible people. One wonders if they've ever even read the book.
October 06, 2008
I feel sorry for that kid. I've had UTIs and they are agonising. What he went through must have been far worse. Sadly, these asshats will probably be let off because the government in this country kisses fundie ass. It is disgusting but I don't look for anything to be done about this any time soon. I don't get it because if my memory serves me rightly, Christian Scientists have gotten convicted for this sort of shit.
October 06, 2008
Cambion Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Any doctor or human individual with half a brain
> can tell you that infections are bad if left
> untreated, and can often be treated with very
> simple (and cheap, if one has insurance)
> antibiotics. I know some people like to try and
> impress everyone else by not getting medication
> for illnesses, but it is cruel and heartless to
> subject another human being to those beliefs.

Hell, any animal can tell you that infections are bad if they are left untreated. I have a cat, who when we was a kitten, had a very bad abscess from being attacked by another cat. The abscess formed inward, so nobody saw it until he walked up to us with a leak coming out of his side! Kitten was a big time biter, but he didn't try to bite anyone that day - he just let us carry him to the vet. The vet said that even though he was probably in a lot of pain he just laid on the surgery table while he was being worked on. Even a cat can figure out when it is time to get help, but apparently these fundies can't.
October 06, 2008
I would like to add that I am a believer in self healing because I think that the brain is a powerful natural healer of the body. I always try "mind over matter" first, but when it doesn't work I am the first one in line at the doc in the box to get whatever it is treated. I also keep a VAST ARRAY of over the counter shit under my bathroom sink and do not hesitate to use it to assist in the "mind over matter" healing when necessary, especially when pain is involved. I don't think that "faith healing" should be any different. However, it is HUGELY different in that these freaks think that some supernatural power gets to determine if it works or not and they often blame the alleged lack of faith of the victim for their own demise. I happen to think that this is either insane thinking, brain washed thinking, a sign of low intellect, or possibly a combination thereof.

I don't think there is anything wrong with having "faith" in something or a "belief" in the natural healing powers of one's own mind, or herbs, or God for that matter......as long as this belief or faith is accompanied by common sense and they still have a healthy dose of "faith" in modern medicine and treatment of illnesses/injuries. Does it ever occur to them that maybe GOD guided ole Alex Fleming to discover Penicillin or that perhaps a medical doctor was "called by God" to heal people? These people are such narrow minded idiots that it's very difficult to even begin to understand their ways, much less their thought processes.

Clematis scratched the tip of the iceberg on some of the things which are in The Bible that they choose to ignore or rationalize with comments like, "Oh, that was Jewish law, not meant for Christians.....EXCEPT the part in Leviticus about homosexuals, the part where it says women are to be subservient, and of course the part about going forth to multiply, etc......"eye rolling smiley
k-man
October 06, 2008
Clematis posted about the church involved in this tragedy: "The church is Pentecostal in origin, and believes in a literal interpretation of Scripture, including in [sic] the power of faith healing."

A certain female vice-presidential candidate attended a Pentecostal church...

I remember a sad case years back involving a 3-year-old boy whose parents belonged to some kind of wacko "Christian" sect. As he choked to death on food, the moo called fellow sect members to come to the house and form a prayer circle to pray for divine intervention to save the boy, who of course died. No one in the group had the fucking sense to give the child the Heimlich maneuver, a thump on the back, or proper medical treatment. And I don't believe authorities chose to charge the mother. This was before such tales became more commonplace as weird sects became more visible after Waco in 1993. Now criminal charges are much more commonplace.
k-man
October 06, 2008
By the way, this was a great comment posted in response to the story:

"Of course they're not guilty. God *wanted* the boy to die! How can you blame lack of treatment for that? Oh well, at least that's some mighty fine DNA that won't be doing laps in the ol' gene pool anymore! I guess God *does* work in mysterious ways!"
October 07, 2008
These fucking Pentecostals deserve to be wiped off the face of the earth. I've dealt with several over the years and they are brain dead fucks, but brain dead fucks who are very dangerous. Only in this country
are they permitted to free range and bother the rest of the world, all in the name of "freedom of speech". As far as I am concerned, their freedom of speech ends where and when they start saying I should die because I'm trannygay. Their rights also end when their beliefs cause a child or family member to die. If they're so goddamned pro-life, they would be getting the person to a doctor or doing first aid until EMS can get there. This proves they are pronatalists, NOT pro-life. Their hypocrisy sickens me. They are a good part of the reason that I am working on emigrating to Europe as soon as DW is finished with his automotive training.
October 07, 2008
Merlyn, you're not biased against xtians, are you ; )
October 07, 2008
Me? Biased against Xtians?tongue sticking out smiley If these asshats were live-and-let-live, I wouldn't be as against them as I am. But these people are sick...my greatest ire is reserved for Pentacostals and the fundies...they are the real problem with the religion.
October 07, 2008
Yeah Merlyn, the fundies would love to forcibly make sure "your kind" gets a whole heaping helping o' prayer to wipe that sin right out of you. What a crock of shit.

Did anyone happen to see Bill Maher's Religulous film over the weekend? It was fantastic...both informative and hilarious. One of the best scenes was when Maher had a debate with a 'former' gay male who went to one of those 'Pray Away the Gay' camps and is now married to a woman who was a former lesbian, and they now have three kids. The guy's defense was that no one is born gay, that gay people don't really know who they are on the inside, that they're all just confused, and with the aid of these people and Jesus, all of a sudden they'll realize they were deluding themselves their whole lives.
Maher made him look like such an idiot.
October 07, 2008
Sorry about the double-post, but I thought you all would get a kick out of this picture of a sign carried by a crazy fundie:

Notice right in the middle where it says 'Ankle Biters'. That had me laughing out loud! I always knew children were evil!

Oh, and my other favorite is 'All Non-Homemakers'. Ha ha!
Anonymous User
October 07, 2008
My personal favorite on that sign, RatsNotBrats, is the witch on the broomstick. I've posted before that my grandmother is a pentacostal whacko. They really do believe in the whole witch on a broomstick thing!
Funny shit there! Do they mean Kyds when they say "ankle biters"? And I'm glad to know that sports nuts will get theirs, too. Must mean there won't be Cheeseheads in heaven!grinning smiley
October 07, 2008
"I prayed and prayed for little Timmy to get better, only he ended up dying because there is no god."

Funny how that works out.

"It truly is the one commonality that every designation of humans you can think of has, there's at least one asshole."
--Me
October 07, 2008
CJ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Funny shit there! Do they mean Kyds when they say
> "ankle biters"?

Yeah, what's up with that? Is there another meaning besides brats?
glurk
October 09, 2008
I'm glad the damn kid died. The last thing we need is for these morons to have offspring.
October 09, 2008
Yessirree, I remember the Biblical injunction against dikes on bikes. Lesbiticus 14:5. angel with halo
Anonymous User
October 09, 2008
These sorts of people must surely be mentally deranged. A few years ago there was a case back in my home country where a couple (I forget what branch of nutty xristianity they belonged to, but they were extreme in whichever it was, fundy fruitcakes) who were charged with the murder of their only months-old son, who had died because they had fed him nothing but apple juice over the course of his short life!!! It just boggles the mind. I mean, I know very little about newborns and have never looked after one, but even I know that they require breastmilk or formula to live... What possibly made them think that a newborn would survive on apple juice?! If you fed an ADULT nothing but apple juice it would die, what made them think a baby would thrive on it?
I normally have nothing but contempt for my homeland's justice system, but that time I was proud that they had the common sense and collective balls to prosecute these people and send them to jail (the moo was knocked-up again at the time of the trial and I think they already had some other kids too, but she got shipped off to jail anyway, where she belongs!).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login