Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Jim Gaffigan Is A Schmuck!

Posted by deegee 
Jim Gaffigan Is A Schmuck!
June 19, 2023
Did anyone here see Jim Gaffigan's piece on CBS Sunday Morning yesterday? He went out of his way to claim that childless men are not adults but are instead pampered toddlers. What a Schmuck! I wrote CBS to complain about him, not that I expect anything in return.

Gaffigan on CBS

Here is the text (emphasis mine):

It's Father's Day. Every third Sunday in June we honor all the men who have generously taken on the role of dad in some child's life. Today these men will be the recipients of coffee mugs, neckties, and barbeque equipment which they will cherish for at least a day.

But what about the guys who don't have children? The men who've never volunteered to be a dad-like figure in someone's life? What do we even call these men? I mean, besides "happy," "lucky" or "smart"?

On paper, being a father is a bad investment. Financially, emotionally, physically, mentally … I could go on. It's not surprising some men choose to not be a parent. It makes sense some guys would forego eventually hearing their own teenage offspring whisper, "Can you act like you don't know me"?

At times I envy these non-father men, but we can't compare these men to a father. Heck, I don't even think these men should be considered adults. How are these guys different from a pampered toddler, really? What, a driver's license? A bank account?

What do these toddler-men even do with their free time? They probably just call it "time"!

Are there worries or concerns that keep these men up at night? Like, their child asking, "What am I going to have for breakfast?" They probably just eat their breakfast. In quiet. No screaming. No conflict. Just quiet.

There's no comparison. One man has a rich, fulfilling life, and the other is a dad.

So, sorry, Father's Day is NOT for them. Those childless men will have to sit today out. Sure, they have other days. And, yeah, there are 364 of those days.

But not today.

Today is Father's Day.
Re: Jim Gaffigan Is A Schmuck!
June 19, 2023
I guess this was only a matter of (de)evolution.

Dads used to be somewhat uninvolved but now the same pronatalist society that is telling Moos they are nothing without having shat out a loaf are telling all people if they don't have kids, they are worthless.

ETA: I don't know how old this dude is, but he looks absolutely exhausted and haggard. I'll take my 'empty' life over his any day, as I'm sure you would, deegee.
June 19, 2023
TBH, (trying to keep a very open mind as they are just jokes) I didn't find it that bad, and actually, thought he really painted a rather negative picture of parunthood. I was rather surprised. Yes, assuming all CF/CL men are toddlers who have 0 other responsibilities that make them adult men, is borderline offensive if taken too seriously. I actually thought he woulda totally been "Aw, Shucks, but they are all sooo worth it in the long run" at the end. His whole monologue was what I say, when you're not a father(mother) the rest of the year is very very happy, no reason to celebrate this one day.

And, no, I'm not some big JG superfan. I saw he's touring with Seinfeld, and for once wanted to spring the money for a special event this year, but I stopped myself thinking that JG would ruin it, maybe w/ too many Family Man jokes and his 6 kids. (The only thing I can say about that is at least he puts his money where his mouth is and tries to be hands-on while on the road. He could just tour and leave all the work to his wife.) Now I wonder if he will be less my stereotype of him and be something else. Not sure if I'm willing to risk it. I'm sure the tix are big bux.
June 20, 2023
So who gives a fuck if unchilded men don't get to celebrate Father's Day? I seriously doubt they mind not celebrating it. What would they get if they could celebrate it? A shitty card and a tie they'll never wear from their sprogs? Guilt over what they didn't do for their Moo-wife for Mother's Day? Yeah I'm sure they're so heartbroken over the loss of those things.

Also, based on what I've seen/heard/read, it's the Duhs who are the pampered man-babies rather than childless/childfree men.

Sounds like sour grapes thinly veiled by an attempt at sarcasm/humor.
June 20, 2023
Cambion
Sounds like sour grapes thinly veiled by an attempt at sarcasm/humor.

This is exactly what it was! Apart from the toddler man thing, which was a stupid joke but you know how breeders think that the CF Aren't Real AdultsTM, I thought it was kind of funny. I mean, it was a bit cringe but he did say:

"But what about the guys who don't have children? The men who've never volunteered to be a dad-like figure in someone's life? What do we even call these men? I mean, besides "happy," "lucky" or "smart"?

I thought that was hilarious.
June 20, 2023

There's no comparison. One man has a rich, fulfilling life, and the other is a dad.

This line gives it away as humor. And comics (that have brats) are typically more honest about dealing with them than anyone else.
June 24, 2023
deegee
Did anyone here see Jim Gaffigan's piece on CBS Sunday Morning yesterday? He went out of his way to claim that childless men are not adults but are instead pampered toddlers. What a Schmuck! I wrote CBS to complain about him, not that I expect anything in return.

Gaffigan on CBS

What do these toddler-men even do with their free time?

Uh, you should know what these childless men do with their free time because you were once childless and had free time, remember? But you chose to change that, dumbshit!
June 24, 2023
Children have no future on this dying planet. If you love children don't condemn them to hell.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
June 29, 2023
cfuter
TBH, (trying to keep a very open mind as they are just jokes) I didn't find it that bad, and actually, thought he really painted a rather negative picture of parunthood. I was rather surprised. Yes, assuming all CF/CL men are toddlers who have 0 other responsibilities that make them adult men, is borderline offensive if taken too seriously. I actually thought he woulda totally been "Aw, Shucks, but they are all sooo worth it in the long run" at the end. His whole monologue was what I say, when you're not a father(mother) the rest of the year is very very happy, no reason to celebrate this one day.

And, no, I'm not some big JG superfan. I saw he's touring with Seinfeld, and for once wanted to spring the money for a special event this year, but I stopped myself thinking that JG would ruin it, maybe w/ too many Family Man jokes and his 6 kids. (The only thing I can say about that is at least he puts his money where his mouth is and tries to be hands-on while on the road. He could just tour and leave all the work to his wife.) Now I wonder if he will be less my stereotype of him and be something else. Not sure if I'm willing to risk it. I'm sure the tix are big bux.

Yes, the entire thing is very much JG’s style of humor - it’s pretty self-depreciating. The bit is about his thinly-veiled jealousy of the “toddler man.”

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
"Not every ejaculation deserves a name" - George Carlin
July 27, 2023
Personally, I think Jim Gaffigan is a total dork and I could care less what he has to say.
July 31, 2023
I'm so out of the loop. I've never even heard of this guy until today. I guess the joke's really on him and he knows it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login