Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Teaching kids how to eat healthy promotes eating disorders

Posted by Cambion 
Teaching kids how to eat healthy promotes eating disorders
October 09, 2023
The only way kids are going to develop an eating disorder by being taught about healthy foods is if their fucking parents are retards and obsess over every crumb the kid eats.

I was allowed to eat like a dumbass growing up. I'm talking fast food at least four times a week at school, then maybe an extra 1-2 more times when my grandma would order Pizza Hut or take me to McDonald's, being allowed to eat an entire bag of cookies while watching Saturday morning cartoons and nobody encouraging me to eat anything healthy. I didn't get to be 200 pounds at 14 due to bad luck.

It's not like I lived in a food desert and my family wasn't broke or anything, and I could have definitely used guidance in this regard. I didn't pay my weight any mind until I had to keep a food journal for health class in 11th grade and I saw just how much I ate every day. I needed that intervention years ago.

I think they just don't want to teach kids about making healthy dietary choices because they don't want the parents to bitch about people putting ideas in their kids' heads about eating food Moo and Duh don't want to eat. Breeders don't want to be pestered with "mommy teacher says hamburgers are bad and we should eat kale, I WANT KALE I WANT KALE!" and then the brat eats it and spits it out because it's disgusting.

Of coruse they have to mention the tards because OMFG what if an awtard with sensory bullshit problems finds out their "safe food" isn't healthy?! It means they fucking find a new food, that's what. But that would require the parents to do the jobs they signed up for instead of letting their herpaderp subsist entirely on curly fries its whole life because it's easier.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/09/health/unhealthy-school-nutrition-lessons-wellness/index.html

Children across all grade levels are taught nutrition concepts aimed at improving health, but I find these well-intended lessons can end up backfiring, harming kids’ eating habits and their overall well-being.

Nutrition lessons — largely driven by state education standards — can be damaging because they unintentionally convey the same messages as an eating disorder: cut out certain foods, limit calories and fear weight gain.

In my work supporting parents and guardians whose children have eating disorders, the process of navigating school nutrition units can be particularly fraught. While requesting an exemption or alternate assignment for their child, families I talk with rightly wonder whether it’s safe for any student to engage in these types of classroom activities.

Most teachers don’t realize that delivering a nutrition lesson can be “leading an expedition into a minefield,” according to Zoë Bisbing, an eating disorder therapist in New York City.

Not every student will be harmed by these types of assignments, but there is no way for an educator to know who may be at risk. While certain students may get something useful out of the material or simply not think twice about it after class, for some children, nutrition lessons can be “explosive” and can “catalyze an eating disorder,” Bisbing added.

“Well-intended lessons lead to black-and-white thinking, which leads to disordered behaviors around food,” said Nicole Cruz, a registered dietitian in Agoura Hills, California.

The underlying challenge for teachers is the gap between the nuanced, highly individual aspects of nutrition and the place where kids are in their brain development. While teaching about food might seem straightforward, “nutrition is actually quite complex, and kids are concrete thinkers,” Cruz noted.

Asking students to focus on nutrition details or categorize foods rarely translates into them changing their eating in ways that are beneficial. “When we give kids too much nutrition information, it really takes them away from their body cues and being able to listen to their internal signals,” Cruz added.

School lessons focused on abstract categories such as “sometimes foods” can be particularly tricky for children to understand. Kids may fear having too much of a “sometimes food” and conclude they should never have it.

Trying to please the teacher can then lead them to “go down a rabbit hole of cutting out more and more foods — or eating those foods and then feeling guilty,” Cruz said. In contrast, some students hear guidance around “healthy eating” and then rebel against it by avoiding the recommended items and seeking out the very foods labeled as bad, she noted.

Teaching nutrition to tweens and teens is especially risky. “Research shows most of our kids are already experiencing body dissatisfaction,” Cruz said. Following typical “healthy eating” guidance to try to lose weight can mean “missing much-needed nutrition at a time when teens have a high need for calories and nutrients for growth and development.”

Triggering an eating disorder isn’t the only unintended impact of nutrition lessons. The textbook picture of a “healthy” food simply isn’t the same for every child. Neurodivergent kids, those who live in a food-insecure household, and students whose cultural foods don’t resemble the US Department of Agriculture MyPlate image presented in class may find school nutrition lessons unrelatable or even harmful.

“If you have a kid with sensory differences who relies on certain foods, and they learn that their safe foods are bad or unhealthy, that’s really shaming and confusing,” Bisbing said.

There are ways to address nutrition standards and teach food concepts without risking harm. When covering basic nutrition facts and building familiarity with terminology, the key is to “strive to teach those in a way that is as neutral as possible without labeling specific foods as good or bad,” said Christopher Pepper, a health educator in San Francisco who writes the newsletter Teaching Health Today.

In addition to keeping morality out of nutrition lessons, teachers can make room for discussions about the experience of eating rather than reducing every food choice to a high-stakes health decision, according to Pepper.

“Moving towards lessons that emphasize the joy of eating, the pleasure of sharing food with others, and learning how to prepare food as a way to connect with other people” are worthy goals for educators, he said.

Nutrition curriculum has an impact on students, but families still play a major role in helping kids learn about food. “Classroom lessons are one place that young people get information, but parents are going to have a much bigger influence on their child’s understanding of food and nutrition,” Pepper added.

Having conversations with your children about what they’re learning at school can be the perfect opportunity to explore how they are relating to food and what questions they may have. Parents or guardians with concerns about the nutrition curriculum can approach the teacher with curiosity and with the assumption of positive intent. “Seeing yourself as a partner with your child’s teacher” is the best way to communicate and find a path forward, Pepper advised.

Especially for kids with eating disorders or other special dietary needs, it makes sense to have conversations with their teachers even before the first nutrition-related lesson. Being proactive and building a partnership with the school will not only help your child but may also “plant a seed of awareness in that teacher,” Bisbing said.

As educators learn about the complexities and potential pitfalls in some of these lessons, they are more likely to make adjustments that will be more inclusive and health-promoting for all students.
Re: Teaching kids how to eat healthy promotes eating disorders
October 09, 2023
This kind of thing must have been going on for decades, because on the news whenever there is video about the UAW strike I notice nearly all of the picketers are chubby, even though they say the job is "so hard". I believe it likely is, but it would help if those people made better food choices, but maybe schools in Michigan don't teach nutrition.

If I give my opinion on facebook or you tube about these strikes, I keep hearing autoworkers live "paycheck to paycheck" but they don't have to if they cut back on the Pepsi (although they could use diet Pepsi), don't fast food it so much, cook good food at home, take public transit to work, stop going to the bar, stop having more kids, use cloth diapers, and don't buy the overpriced ridiculous size trucks they make, they could be quite well off. But if I write that, I am devil.
October 09, 2023
I've seen lots of brats beg for junk food all the time. I think parents hope saying yes will mean the brat stops the begging. This usually happens for the two minutes that the brat is wolfing down the food and then the brat is on to the next desired thing to annoy their parents with. If they begging works then the brats will continue to do it, they'll just change what they beg for once the parents give in.

If brats are in the habit of begging for food already then I doubt the nutrition classes will have much of an impact on them because it is all about manipulation. Also, parunts need to be on the same page as the schools when it comes to nutrition. I suspect most of them either lack the time to do this or they lack the inclination to follow through.
October 10, 2023
That's another good point. Parents will often just give their brats whatever they're screaming for to shut them up, food or otherwise. Then the kid learns they can get their own way if they just scream loud enough. Just listen to any brat in the grocery store screeching for candy and how the screeching intensifies each time the breeder says no. Eventually the breeder will get worn down and will give in.

I can't tell you how many times on r/breakingmoo I hear shit like "a fed child is best," implying that the picky shits eating anything is better than trying to make them eat healthy things they don't want. Sure, a fed child is better than starving the fucker, but the issue is when this goes on indefinitely and then the kid won't eat anything other than shit-tier junk food. It's a very, very hard habit to break when it becomes ingrained. Kids are also assholes and will absolutely starve themselves if they can't have cake and chips for dinner, but then they'll be cranky and shitty due to hunger and bitch about it for hours. Sometimes I wonder if the secret is to outlast them, let them go hungry and then offer them healthy things or nothing at all? Will the hunger conquer the willpower?

Makes me wonder how we ever survived this long as a species when a child would rather starve than eat something they don't like, but then they'll go swallow a rock or a dog turd.

Another thing I thought about as far as the awtards: if a kid is fucked enough in the head to have sensory food issues, are they really going to give a fuck about eating healthy or unhealthy?
October 10, 2023
Why even teach anything anymore, since damn near everything is now "triggering"! People my age are raising the wimpiest kids this planet has ever seen.

If I give my opinion on facebook or you tube about these strikes, I keep hearing autoworkers live "paycheck to paycheck" but they don't have to if they cut back on the Pepsi (although they could use diet Pepsi), don't fast food it so much, cook good food at home, take public transit to work, stop going to the bar, stop having more kids, use cloth diapers, and don't buy the overpriced ridiculous size trucks they make, they could be quite well off. But if I write that, I am devil.

Isn't this the truth. The people I know that complain about their financial victimhood are the ones who CHOSE to make bad financial decisions and have zero plans to dig themselves out of it. Easier to blame America, capitalism, the patriarchy, the president, hell I've even seen ageism as an excuse (for those who have done ZERO to save for their futures and are now pushing retirement age - and have had plenty of opportunities to put away money but live in a perpetual "now"). I'm in a heap of debt myself but I bust my ass and budget to pay it off, while putting $ away for the future. I can't imagine just saying, well shit, not my fault and then doing absolutely nothing. Sorry but this topic really grinds my gears! Then you have the younger people who complain about how hard it is to be a parunt today, while complaining about the state of the world. I can't help but to think, are you really this stupid?? God help us all.
October 11, 2023
The average production line autoworker makes $28 an hour. If they live in a LCOL area this is a good to great salary. They can't afford everything but they can easily afford the basics plus some luxuries. And this assumes this salary is the only salary in the household. Now, if this person has four kids, a mortgage, a new expensive car in the driveway and is struggling it has to do with bad choices. Very few people "have it all". The luckiest choose two out of three: kids, money, time.
October 12, 2023

Why even teach anything anymore, since damn near everything is now "triggering"! People my age are raising the wimpiest kids this planet has ever seen.

God that's the truth.

Is the food thing really that hard? If you don't want your kids to eat shit, keeping it out of the house is a start. I remember telling my mom one day that I wanted to eat fun food on the snack break at school because other kids had more fun stuff to eat. She said, no, you get fruit or vegetable sticks and that's it. And when I grew up we didn't have a lot of bad crap to eat in the house. We had choices, and that was to take it or leave it.

On a related note, do you ever watch those shows where there is a 600+ pound person who is confined to bed and is too fat to get out of bed? I watch in rapt fascination and I always think, Fatty didn't get like this on his/her own. Who is enabling this person? Invariably, they have someone living with them who is bringing them multiple orders of fast food on demand because Fatty is going to verbally abuse them if they don't. Jeez, People, grow a spine. If only someone had told Fatty, get it your damn self, then maybe they wouldn't be in this position or at the very least they wouldn't be blaming someone else.

I can't tell you how many times on r/breakingmoo I hear shit like "a fed child is best," implying that the picky shits eating anything is better than trying to make them eat healthy things they don't want. Sure, a fed child is better than starving the fucker, but the issue is when this goes on indefinitely and then the kid won't eat anything other than shit-tier junk food. It's a very, very hard habit to break when it becomes ingrained. Kids are also assholes and will absolutely starve themselves if they can't have cake and chips for dinner, but then they'll be cranky and shitty due to hunger and bitch about it for hours. Sometimes I wonder if the secret is to outlast them, let them go hungry and then offer them healthy things or nothing at all? Will the hunger conquer the willpower?

Fed is the goal, but I certainly wouldn't be going to the ridiculous, elaborate lengths these 99% of these parents are going to. I wouldn't be fixing exotic meals for Snotleigh. "Here's what the rest of the family is eating and if you don't like it, here's a peanut butter (or nut free sunflower seed) sandwich." And make sure to give the kid a vitamin*. It's SO easy for parents today. We had Flinstones vitamins and today we have gummy vitamins. Is the kid is allergic, you can buy him/her gluten free bread.

All these "struggles" around food are just another symptom of the parents not being in charge of their life and household and letting the inmates run the asylum.

*I was watching one of those "Mystery ER" shows where a (too) young couple came in with a 4-ish year old kid. The kid kept screaming when his legs hit the ground. It turned out he had scurvy or rickets or something like that. He was malnourished and it was affecting his bones. The reason it took so long to diagnose was because doctors don't often see it in a relatively affluent country like the U.S. The doctor said he didn't call CPS on the family (probably because they were white) because they "just didn't know" and the kid seemed cared for. It turned out the brat at oatmeal at every meal because that's the only thing he "liked." Again, inept parents.
October 12, 2023
Breeders make it so difficult on themselves. Either they are crazy about the perfect healthy, perfect looking food and spend hours making some bento box with organic rice molded into panda shapes, or they feed their kids any old junk and complain about the school trying to teach them about nutrition.

I was raised on a fairly healthy diet. We had lots of vegetables, snacks were fruit, and candy and sweets were for special occasions. Fast food was like a 1x/year treat. Didn't stop me from eating poorly in my 20s, but at least I had some grounding in nutrition to fall back upon when I decided to improve my eating at about 30.

From what I know, eating disorders have a lot more to do with media pushing certain looks than about learning about nutrition. (However, I would have been bored and offended by the school trying to teach me something that I had already learned at home.)
October 13, 2023
I don't know why these parents do this shit to themselves. I see so many discussions on Reddit from Moos who say that every fucking meal is a battlefield because their brat is such a picky eater. And the do all these songs and dances to try and encourage the child to eat, and then the brat just throws the food on the floor. This isn't even for awtards and their bullshit - it's for totally normal kids quite often. Parents feel like they "can't" feed their kids food that is too smooth, too green, too hard, contains seeds, is not arranged in a particular pattern, is not served on a particular plate and a million other stupid things that no human being should be expected to accommodate.

The breeders indulge these picky bastards and then the kids never outgrow their bad eating habits because they were catered to for years, and then they grow up into picky adults who "can't" eat 95 percent of foods for some stupid reason or another.

Makes me wonder if children in countries where food is scarce are picky or if it's a first-world disease.

And it doesn't help that we live in a culture where every little quirk and hiccup a child has is considered a disorder. Before if a kid wouldn't eat cheese, it would be chalked up to being a picky spoiled turd. Now if a child won't eat cheese, they have sensory cheese reactive perception disorder or some similar crock of shit some lunatic made up. Because I swear to dog every fucking parent seems to want to excuse their kids' behavior away with some kind of illness. I think it's so they can absolve themselves of having to do their damn jobs. Instead of dealing with a picky eater like a real parent, they'd rather shrug and say, "oh I can't do anything about it, Derplina has oatmeal aversion processing detachment syndrome!"

Of course I will make exceptions for kids who have legitimate food allergies and intolerances because forcing a kid to drink milk when they are lactose intolerant is just cruel. But I also know that there are kids who are allergic to fucking everything under the sun, quite possibly up to and including the sun.

This discussion reminded me of this hot mess from r/regretfulparents about a parent who has a horribly picky brat and of course half the comments are "durr hurr child has disorder!" She sounds like a picky snot who needs to starve for a while.

https://old.reddit.com/r/regretfulparents/comments/173wy29/every_single_meal_is_pure_pain/
October 13, 2023
Cambion
I don't know why these parents do this shit to themselves. I see so many discussions on Reddit from Moos who say that every fucking meal is a battlefield because their brat is such a picky eater. And the do all these songs and dances to try and encourage the child to eat, and then the brat just throws the food on the floor. This isn't even for awtards and their bullshit - it's for totally normal kids quite often. Parents feel like they "can't" feed their kids food that is too smooth, too green, too hard, contains seeds, is not arranged in a particular pattern, is not served on a particular plate and a million other stupid things that no human being should be expected to accommodate.

It sounds like these Reddit moos have managed to turn every meal into a battlefield. She is the adult and should know better. When was the last time she did this to an adult?

They could always just send the kid away from the table at the first sign of conflict and let him/her eat at a later or earlier time from a few healthy options. There is no reason why everyone should have to sit around the table and have their meals together. A tradition comes from dead people telling living people how to live their lives.

Also, are these the same moos who whine and complain about their toadler begging for their food or not letting them enjoy a hot meal?

Seriously these parunts need to learn if they're in a tug of war over food with their brat just drop the rope. These same parunts wouldn't be all upset if an adult refused to eat a meal or refused certain food options at a meal. At a certain point they're just ushering in the misery.

Also, if the kid is dismissed and wants to be at the table with everyone else then they can be allowed to sit at the table as long as they eat the same food with everyone else. It gives the kid incentive.

It is no different than a family/friends deciding certain topics aren't allowed at a dinner table such as religion and politics. If everyone ends up in a fight or debating then the meal wasn't enjoyable and why repeat the madness?

I've known a few adults who still insist on eating like kids but most of them grow out of it. The ones I know who still insist on eating childish foods were overindulged as children and are often very immature and haven't had to grow up. If they're capable of ordering a hamburger or sandwich wherever we all decide to eat then they are welcome to do so, even if the point was for us to eat Thai food. We're all eating seafood at a seafood restaurant and one adult eats macaroni and cheese, fine. If we go out to eat and they aren't capable of finding at least one meal on a menu of a restaurant they agreed to go to then they don't get invited to eat out again. Or if they try to insist we change our plans to eat at some kiddee joint (think Hardees, McDonalds, Red Robin) then they won't get invited again. Someone else can cater to them.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login