Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

"Viral DINK trend" makes breeders butthurt

Posted by Cambion 
"Viral DINK trend" makes breeders butthurt
December 18, 2023
Aside from the fact that DINKs are not a new idea and these people think they invented the term, apparently this couple went viral for daring to brag about how they get a full night's rest each night, go on vacations and can afford expensive hobbies.

Even Elon Musk got his nuts in a twist over it, claiming that "there is an awful morality to those who deliberately have no kids." I'd love to know how often he interacts with his TEN kids. I'm sure he can afford to pay other people to raise his kids for him.

Sounds like a whole lot of sour grapes to me. Also, not all double-income childfree homes are wealthy - plenty of CFers work and are still broke, but that can happen regardless of reproductive status. It's just another bingo to assume that people with no kids are rolling in money. Maybe people aren't having brats because it's too fucking expensive to have them? I mean it's always been expensive, but the cost of brat care is going up right along with everything else. And when every precious little dumpling has a laundry list of health conditions and is almost guaranteed to be on the spectrum (either diagnosed by a doctor or by Mommy), that means the cost of caring for them is even higher than it would be for a normal, healthy child.

I also love that it's totally fine for breeders to plaster every moment of their kids' lives across social media for attention, but someone blasts their childfree lifestyle in the same way, the CFers are the selfish horrible ones. How convenient that only one group of people get to brag about their life online and not the other.

The comments on the article are about 50/50 - some bingoes, others who are neutral/supportive/fellow DINKs who do not regret not breeding.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/dinks-love-showing-off-lavish-184522129.html

On December 4, John Eringman, a 28-year-old personal finance content creator, posted a TikTok video bragging about his lifestyle with the caption, "In our DINK era."

The term stands for "double income no kids" and has been around since the 1980s at least, although it's recently seen a surge of attention on TikTok.

In his upload, Eringman, who has 1.3 million followers, could be seen with his partner Paige, as they took turns listing the benefits of being a DINK. They explained they were able to go on multiple vacations, caught up on eight hours of sleep a night, and could indulge in "snobby hobbies like skiing and golfing."

The upload blew up with 2.2 million views and over 3,100 comments. The response is emblematic of the polarizing nature of how DINKs are perceived — many viewers saw it as aspirational and praised the couple, while others accused them of being selfish and criticized their decision to not have kids, saying they'll regret it.

The backlash reached new heights later that day, when a user who goes by @KnoxEndemic re-shared the video to X, formerly Twitter, and described the couple as "genetic dead ends."

The post blew up, receiving 10 million views and thousands of responses. Many were strongly worded criticisms of the pair.

Even Elon Musk got involved, posting in response to a reupload of the video by another account.

"There is an awful morality to those who deliberately have no kids: they are effectively demanding that other people's kids take care of them in their old age. That's messed up," he wrote. (Musk has 10 known children with three different women.)

— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) December 5, 2023

Eringman told Business Insider in an email exchange that the couple did not expect this kind of response. They're not even sure whether they want children, and might do so in the future, which makes the backlash against them even more shocking.

"There is a very clear divide between people for DINKs and against DINKs which creates a lot of controversy. We think this divide comes from the fact that the DINK lifestyle tends to challenge the traditional norms of society," Eringman said.

Ultimately, they just want to enjoy this phase in their lives, Eringman told BI, adding that he thinks people should be able to "do what makes them happy" when it comes to choosing whether to have children or not.

Backlash against DINKs is nothing new, but they're not staying quiet

It's become something of a trend for child-free couples post videos about the perks of the time and money they have thanks to not being parents, pointing to the generous gifts they're able to buy and their freedom to make last-minute plans.

Viewers have consistently chimed in with their judgments on the lifestyle.

In December 2022, TikToker Ness Baker went mega-viral with 10.4 million views when she shared she was a DINKWAD (double income, no kids, with a dog). A popular comment seen by BI at the time read, "Good luck dying alone at 60-70 with no kids or grandkids to take care of you." (How cute of this breeder to assume that reproduction = free caregiver)

But this public pushback hasn't stopped the DINKs from posting. In recent weeks, many more have continued to share their lives online.

The criticism doesn't seem likely to deter people away from the lifestyle either. The number of DINKs in the US has been on the rise, and a Pew survey found that in 2021, 44% of people aged 18 to 49 who didn't have kids were not likely to do so; in 2018, the number was 37%.

With a median net worth of $250,600, it shouldn't be a surprise that they're so thrilled to discuss their child-free lives. The Federal Reserve's Survey of Consumer Finances found that to be more than all the other family structures they researched.

As for Eringman, the criticism hasn't impacted his perception of his lifestyle.

"We are enjoying every bit of this DINK community," he said.
Re: "Viral DINK trend" makes breeders butthurt
December 19, 2023
Cambion
Even Elon Musk got his nuts in a twist over it, claiming that "there is an awful morality to those who deliberately have no kids."

Figures, that he would categorize morality as awful.
December 19, 2023
I have to laugh at the bitter breeder who says the dinkwads will die alone between 60 and 70. They'll probably outlast all their breeder friends because they will have enjoyed their lives and had a lot less stress.

I'm 55, a sinkwad (?) and I have no intention of dying in the next 5-15 years. Also, I don't need anyone to look after me in my old age. If I get too sick to live alone, I'll have a nurse come into my house to help me, or I'll sell my home and move into assisted living.

And Husky Musky oughta STFU. He's becoming a laughing stock.
December 20, 2023
It always makes me laugh when people (usually breeders) take so much issue with others not breeding because it's a decision that does not affect them in any way, shape or form. Like how exactly does me not crapping out a loaf affect some random stranger online who chose to have kids? Here's a hint: it doesn't.

As we've already figured out, having kids is absolutely no guarantee that your child will take care of you if you live long enough to get old. Those kids might leave and never come back, they might be disabled and require lifelong care themselves, they might be deadbeats who mooch off Mommy and Daddy forever, they might wind up spending a good chunk of their lives in jail, or they may very well park their parents in a nursing home and then never visit. Besides, it's very unfair to reproduce with the expectation that your kids owe you. Yes you might have wiped their asses when they were babies, but they didn't choose to be born. You MADE them be born. They do not owe you anything for forcing them into existence.

The only reason anyone would be mad about a pair of DINKs is because they're jealous. They're jealous of income that doesn't have to be spent on brats, jealous of them getting eight hours of sleep, jealous of being able to go to the grocery store and not have it be an ordeal, and pretty much every single aspect of their lives that is 1000 times better because it's not filled with shit diapers and screeching. Breeders can tell themselves all day long that kids are worth it, that we're missing out and all the other worn out bingoes they love to spew. But I've never met a breeder who bragged loudly about how awesome parenthood is who wasn't obviously miserable.
December 20, 2023
The older I get, the more I realize that people get Big Mad if they find out you are happier than they are. So fuck em! They especially get Big Mad if it involves a woman doing what she wants without regard for society telling her how to live her life. Because if it isn't super obvious, women get pounded by all kinds of messaging almost since birth about how we're "supposed" to be - doormats, caregivers, subordinates, human furniture to look pretty and be pleasing to men. Just know if you're CF and living your best life, and people are getting shitty about it, it means you're doing the right thing!

And Elon Musk lecturing us on morality, that's hilarious! He is like King Scumbag who reproduces as if he were a virus.
December 21, 2023
I don't know if I'd want to air my lifestyle as a DINK online. I'd be worried about somebody doxxing me and getting robbed.
December 21, 2023
I agree.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
December 21, 2023
kittehpeoples
Cambion
Even Elon Musk got his nuts in a twist over it, claiming that "there is an awful morality to those who deliberately have no kids."

Musk has less moral authority than Jim Baker or Jimmy Swaggert.

thom_c
kittehpeoples
Cambion

Musk has less moral authority than Jim Baker or Jimmy Swaggert.

Indeed!

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
December 22, 2023
Peace
I don't know if I'd want to air my lifestyle as a DINK online. I'd be worried about somebody doxxing me and getting robbed.

Or assaulted, or having their property vandalized. I'm sure there are plenty of bitter breeders, fetus-humping Christians, pro-liar extremists and sour wanna-breeders who would break into these people's homes to beat the crap out of them, shoot them or wreck their shit for daring to be happy about having no kids. I wish I could say that's an extreme reaction, but looking at the news even briefly will show that people murder one another over less every damn day.
December 22, 2023
My DH and I went on our walk yesterday and there was a house that had a Trump flag and directly across from a house with a rainbow flag. DH was like "Must be a fun place to live" You never know who is repressing what and when they could finallly blow up. Also DH was always against putting bumper stickers on the car. Best to just not be noticed.
December 23, 2023
cfdavep
My DH and I went on our walk yesterday and there was a house that had a Trump flag and directly across from a house with a rainbow flag. DH was like "Must be a fun place to live" You never know who is repressing what and when they could finallly blow up. Also DH was always against putting bumper stickers on the car. Best to just not be noticed.

Exactly. I'll watch childfree YouTubers and post on Bratfree, etc. in the privacy of my home but that is about as far as it goes. If I'm not in like company, not going to be broadcasting it or anything else that could be seen as not "mainstream".
December 26, 2023
Peace
Yes! Once that post is public, you have no idea who might be reading it, and how they might interpret your words.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login