Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Women getting screwed over by DNA companies

Posted by cfdavep 
Women getting screwed over by DNA companies
April 25, 2024
I am reading a fiction book now about this guy trying to solve a murder with some connection to a DNA company like "23andMe"
In it an older woman admits she had a kid in her mid teens and gave it up for adoption. She then married and never told her husband, but one would think he would notice stretch marks.

Her and the husband have one daughter when they were in their mid-twenties. Years later when the daughter was about 35 she signs on to a DNA company to "find her heritage" and finds a half sister that the mother never planned to tell anyone about. The husband leaves her for a marriage based on lies and then the daughter becomes besties with her new half - sister and absolutely demands that her mother develop a relationship with the kid she gave up over 40 years ago, so they "can be a family."

It may be a fiction book, but this sounds like what could happen when women can't abort and want to put the kid in the past and then relatives can stir the pot bringing decades old shit to the surface again.
Re: Women getting screwed over by DNA companies
April 26, 2024
I mean facts are not that far off. I've read plenty of stories of families that were ruined because someone decided to do a 23andMe test, only to find out their uncle was their biological father rather than the man they called Dad, they aren't related by blood to either of their parents, or they have multiple half-siblings because Dad had an entire second family the first family never knew about. In such cases, the parents or grandparents of the people looking to do the test would get really butthurt and beg them not to do the test.

I think you can opt out of sharing your information so you don't get contacted by people who are related to you, but much of the time when people take these tests, it's to locate family members.

DNA tests like those definitely have their uses, but they also have the potential to unveil skeletons in families' closets like kids given up for adoption or children born out of affairs.
April 29, 2024
one reason I will never ever get involved with any dna sites or geneology

two cents ¢¢

CERTIFIED HOSEHEAD!!!

people (especially women) do not give ONE DAMN about what they inflict on children and I defy anyone to prove me wrong

Dysfunctional relationships almost always have a child. The more dysfunctional, the more children.

The selfish wants of adults outweigh the needs of the child.

Some mistakes cannot be fixed, but some mistakes can be 'fixed'.

People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one. Leo J. Burke

Adoption agencies have strict criteria (usually). Breeders, whose combined IQ's would barely hit triple digits, have none.
April 29, 2024
Yes, I’ve definitely seen real life stories of adoptions being exposed via at home DNA tests. A lot of the time it’s women who were promised closed adoptions decades ago who are now being discovered via unknowing family members who have also taken these tests. And of course, the “happy reunions” never go as planned. Adoptees are left aghast when (shocker!) the birth mother who went to great lengths to stay hidden refuses a relationship with them, and family rifts open when half of them side with the adoptee and the other half do not.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
"Not every ejaculation deserves a name" - George Carlin
April 29, 2024
I always felt that those adoptions of kids birthed by kids would result in funny business. The same for donating eggs/sperm, just had a bad feeling that it could somehow come back and haunt me in the future. At least with the egg there is a higher chance I could prove I didn't give birth if I had to but that sounds so invasive.
May 03, 2024
I won't give my DNA to these companies because one, I don't trust their security, and two, I want to keep rights to my DNA. However, some members of my family have done this, and as a result new relatives have been discovered. Fortunately, the incidents in question took place some 70-odd years ago and the people who might have felt shame are all dead. Nobody my parents' generation or later cares about the "scandal" so it hasn't been disruptive.

But yes - another argument for abortion over adoption.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login