Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

email from breeder who wants the pit bull im fostering

Posted by Anonymous User 
Im not sure how a 3 and 4 yr old can take care of a 80 pound pit bull?

here is the email...........

Is this a boy or a girl? I have a 3 and 4 year old (who love to give dogs their attention) and a HUGE backyard. Would this dog do ok with an invisible fence?

Thanks!
Holly
Re: email from breeder who wants the pit bull im fostering
October 14, 2008
Were it my choice to make I would say no adoptions out to any family with kids 10 or under, regardless of the breed. Kids don't know how to handle animals properly, although I know every parent says their kid is so "gentle" (right; wait till Mommie is out of the room) and are often cruel. By the time they're 11 they ideally have been socialized into something approaching a halfway responsible pet owner, though I still wouldn't hold my breath.

Also, the minute the dog growls when one of the kids pulls its ears &c., ooh, bad doggie, must put away! Or imagine if the dog nipped one of the kids torturing it--would YOU be liable for providing an "aggressive" dog? (even though it is sweet as pie and was just tormented by kids). Nah, not worth a lawsuit!

Also, the fact that she asks about the fence suggests that this is the first dog she's owned, or owned as a family (one of the kids probably babbled about "doggie" the other day so now of course they must have a dog). They can get a basic model lab to start with if they MUST have a dog.

Plus think of how many people you could tick off if you said "Adoptions to childfree people only." bouncing and laughing
October 14, 2008
Clematis is entirely right. a pit is not the breed for a family loooking for a starter dog.
Great points, I already declined their offer, stating that i dont think 3 and 4 years could take care of a pet and the fact that they dont have a fenced yard (that electronic fenceless yard shit dont fly with me)
October 14, 2008
Obviously this fambly knows nothing about pit bulls if they want to parachute one into their house with a couple of toddlers around. Pits have a very keen attack instinct for small frightened animals, which they often confuse scared or helpless kids for. The kids don't even have to make the dog angry, they just have to act like cowering quarry and the pit suddenly thinks "mine! i got it!". That's why American pit bulls are banned in the UK -- they ate kids one after the next -- and so the bred lines ran out about 5 or 6 years ago.

- - - - - - - -
"The death of creativity is a pram in the hallway"
- Cyril Connolly
wow, i didnt realize they are banned in the UK
October 14, 2008
Yes -- see if i can recall -- about 12-13 years ago Parliament voted in the Dangerous Dogs Act (which sounds to me like a fantastic stunt you'd see in the circus). Because the American Pits were well-known to attack without warning or overt provocation, they were banned in phases. Owners had to register them, get them 'chipped' and get them sterilised. They absolutely did not have to have them 'put down', so they were able to live the rest of their natural lives but not allowed to breed any more. It has worked -- lots of people thought the breeders would move underground in a sort of black-market operation, but I don't think that has happened. Responsible owners never wanted Pits for fighting anyways.

I think now there are still some quarter-Pits about, bred with Staffordshires which look quite similar but don't have quite the dramatic temprament, but on the whole they have died out here.

Other 'dangerous dogs' on the list like Rotties, Staffies, Dobermans, Alsatians, etc can still be owned ok and bred, but they have to be registered and chipped.

- - - - - - - -
"The death of creativity is a pram in the hallway"
- Cyril Connolly
October 14, 2008
Pitts are very high demand, very intelligent, very high energy dogs who need a job to do, lots of exercise and a firm owner.

They are not the dog for an idiot breeder famblee with shit loaves.
KidFreeLuvnLife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Pitts are very high demand, very intelligent, very
> high energy dogs who need a job to do, lots of
> exercise and a firm owner.
>
> They are not the dog for an idiot breeder famblee
> with shit loaves.

I have been trying for months to find her a home, i get nothing
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login