Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

1199 Bad Baby Names

Posted by KidFreeLuvnLife 
KidFreeLuvnLife
1199 Bad Baby Names
April 11, 2006
I hate the trendiness of baby names. Last year, my brother and his wife named their new son Jayden. The reason they picked this name is because it's an old English boy's name and my family is English. They didn't pick it because it was trendy, unusual, or whatever.

Well, now, suddenly, EVERYONE is naming their sons Jayden. It has become a trendy name and the breeders are starting to get creative in it's spelling. I've seen Jaiden, Jaydun, etc. Fucking pathetic. Take an old English name, overuse it and rip it to shreds.
Anonymous User
Re: 1199 Bad Baby Names
April 11, 2006
Here's a good idea for naming a kid, think of it as an adult, it's going to be one for a whole lot longer than a kid.

Give it a serious proper name, Katherine, Elizabeth, David, James, or whatever, and then you can give it a cyuuute nickname as a kid, but when the kid grows up and wants to be serious, they can use their proper name if they want. I wouldn't take presentation from a Kayle'eigh very seriously.

Ethnic names should only be used if you're of that ethnicity!
April 11, 2006
I agree, Lady Cooper. If parents want to give their kid a "kre8ive" name, they really need to consider how the kid will feel as an adult being addressed with the title. There is no shame in giving the kid a normal first name and a crazy middle name. Of course, most breeders just see this as an opportunity to attribute two 'trendy' names to their spawn.

Some of the more uncommon names aren't too bad - hell, I'm considering changing my name to Suki or Yuki someday, but I digress. It's interesting to choose a name based on the meaning or even the origin. But it's fucking annoying when people will just pick a name that sounds 'cool' and then add eight extra letters to it. Amanda ends up looking like "Aamayundaoh". Changing a couple of letters is fine, but it's nice to be able to know how to pronounce a name too.

An acquaintance of a close friend had a son a few months ago, and she named it Neveah. I'm wondering if she was aware that that's a female name.
anonymous guest
April 11, 2006
Institute for Naming Children Humanely. More breeders need to read a site like this (and the site that was linked by CFScorpio) before naming their children with such horrible names.

Cambion, I've noticed that a lot of people naming their boys after girls names lately. One of my co-workers named her son Misty, and another named his son Ashley. I hope it's just a short trend, since I would hope parents have enough sense to actually name their children with names that correspond to their sex.
April 11, 2006
Gwyneth Paltrow naming her baby Apple should get the Stupidity Award. Looks as if she is pregnant again. What will be the second kid's name? Banana or Plum? Never mind... I just saw on the Rant Page what the new kid is named. If Gwyneth was Jewish, Moses would be an appropriate name. Still, it is better than being named after something in the supermarket's produce aisle!
Anonymous User
April 11, 2006
Cambion Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> It's interesting to
> choose a name based on the meaning or even the
> origin. But it's fucking annoying when people will
> just pick a name that sounds 'cool' and then add
> eight extra letters to it. Amanda ends up looking
> like "Aamayundaoh".

Haha.. that reminds me of that SNL skit where Jamie Foxx plays some kid on Star Search or something, and the host asks him how to spell his name and he replies: "Q-U-A-apostrophe-B-Y-N-N-N-E" (some ridiculously long spelling like that, I don't remember exactly). And then when asked how it's pronounced, he replies, "Kevin".

CF Scorpio
April 11, 2006
anonymous guest Wrote:

>
> Cambion, I've noticed that a lot of people naming
> their boys after girls names lately. One of my
> co-workers named her son Misty, and another named
> his son Ashley. I hope it's just a short trend,
> since I would hope parents have enough sense to
> actually name their children with names that
> correspond to their sex.

Actually, Ashley was a boy's name before it was ever a girl's name. Rememebr Ashley Wilkes in "Gone with the Wind"?
April 11, 2006
I know Ashley is a male name too - wasn't the guy from O-Town named Ashley? That's the only example I can think of because I sadly used to listen to them.

Some names sound fine when they go both ways, but some really should remain gender specific. I never knew that Claire could go both ways until my aunt married a man with such a name. Or, maybe it DOESN'T go both ways and his mother just wanted him to have a feminine-sounding name.

Giving feminine names to males is fine...if they're anime bishies. But people will probably raise an eyebrow to men named Brittany and women named Jason in the future if people fuel this trend. How long will it be before all names can go both ways?
KidFreeLuvnLife
April 11, 2006
Look at Vivian, Leslie. Vivian is an English man's name and Leslie is also used for men.
sprogless
April 11, 2006
My mom and her twin sister both have mens names. Their father wanted boys, and was really disappointed that he didn't get them. My mom recieved a draft notice for Vietnam. We laugh about it, but they both had identity problems growing up. I agree that normal first names are the way to go.
Anonymous User
April 11, 2006
Shirley was also a man's name. Then some time around the 1920's & 30's they started to think it was cute to call girls by boys names. (sounds like the opposite is happening today)

That's why Shirley Temple & many other women now in their 60's & up are called Shirley, and I think that's also when the names Leslie, Vivian and others started being used for girls, too.
Sherz
April 11, 2006
Having been a teacher, I've encountered my share of ridiculous names. My first year of teaching I had a boy named Lover Boy. Lover being the first name, Boy being the middle. He was called L.B. by his family, but I sure as hell didn't know that on the first day of school when I called roll. The class exploded in laughter, and they were third graders! By the way, L.B.'s mom was 13 when she had him. I also had a parent send me a barely understandable note about the pronunciation of her daughter's name. The basic message of the note was that if I didn't start pronouncing her daughter's name correctly, she would be in to school to kick my ass. Her daughter's name was Shoonteatia, and was to be pronounced Shawn-tee-ya. It looked like Shouldn't-eat-ya to me. I figured she popped her out eight years ago while hungry, but decided against canabilism! I think you shouldn't be allowed to give birth if you don't have a clear understanding of phonics.
Oh, I also had a friend who worked as a hospital social worker. She was helping an idiot, who had just given birf, to fill out the paper work for the child's social security number (so she could get her welfare, of course). This dumbass had named her daughter Vagina, to be pronounce Va-geena. My friend couldn't make this woman understand that she was naming her daughter after a a woman's body part. The dumb bitch had probably only ever heard it called a pussy or cunt!
April 11, 2006
I worked with a "Shaunutria" once... eye rolling smiley
sprogless
April 11, 2006
Here's one for the thread- it had me cracking up.

http://tinyurl.com/l64bz
Nour
April 11, 2006
My BF's brother and his wife were going to name their kid "Elliott" I think they said Elliott, my eyes started to glaze over the baby talk after a while). They said the name was some character on the TV show, "Scrubs." They wanted to be able to call it "Ellie." Uh, OK, then name it Ellie? Anyhoo, they ended up having a boy named Wesley "Wes."
CF Scorpio
April 11, 2006
lv67 Wrote:
> Shirley was also a man's name. Then some time
> around the 1920's & 30's they started to think it
> was cute to call girls by boys names. (sounds like
> the opposite is happening today)

That's my father-in-law's name. He's 71 and always prefers to be called by his middle name. Can you blame him?

Since more and more boys names being turned into girls' names (Jordan, Tyler, Corey, Kelly, Adrian, etc. ), pretty soon there will be no boys names left. It's no wonder that today's parents are giving their boys last names as first names (Hunter, Taylor, Gatherer, Mason, Chandler, etc.).
April 11, 2006
leslie, is mans but lesley, is a womans, different spelling, in the news yesterday a couple, who's kids 2 and 4, both need marrow transplants, called them ella, and sam... or as my brother says sam and ella (samonella).

david beckham named one of his sons brooklyn where he was conceived. however i knew a boy called tracy.( normally in the UK a girls name)

**It's a boy for Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris Martin. Moses Martin, the couple's second child, was born during the weekend in New York City, the office of Paltrow's publicist**

i once saw on a site nevaeh heaven. maybe this.. heaven backwards is that hell??

meanings of names
http://www.behindthename.com/

http://www.behindthename.com/top/lists/100us2004.php

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
Anonymous User
April 11, 2006
mercurior Wrote:
> however i knew a boy called
> tracy.( normally in the UK a girls name)
>
>
> Tracy's a girl's name in the US too, Merc. But it's another previously-man's name turned girls name. I actually think it's becoming a man's name again.
>

I think in the U.S. at least, boys are starting to be treated as deffective girls. Besides being given softer-gender neutral names, they're put on Ritalin if they show any of the natural curiosity, energy & robustness they are born with. (Sorry-getting off subject here!) There is a new book written about this watering down of the male gender (sorry-can't remember the title but I'll post it later).

>
>
>

April 11, 2006
Sprogless, that article practically had me rolling on the floor in laughter. How could those parents not see the "other" name in that? "Drew" is a shortened form of "Andrew", is it not? Why could they not just call the kid "Andy"? Or let him go by his middle name when he gets into school? Damn I feel sorry for that kid.

Drew Peacock goes right on that list with Mike Rotch and Hugh Jass. My face hurts from laughing.
CF Scorpio
April 11, 2006
lv67 Wrote:
> mercurior Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > however i knew a boy called
> > tracy.( normally in the UK a girls name)
> >
> >
> > Tracy's a girl's name in the US too, Merc.
> But it's another previously-man's name turned
> girls name. I actually think it's becoming a man's
> name again.
> >
>
I know a man named Tracy. It was a man's name that has now become a woman's name. Also Lynn is another name that used to be male but is now female.
Anonymous User
April 11, 2006
Cambion Wrote:
> Sprogless, that article practically had me rolling
> on the floor in laughter. How could those parents
> not see the "other" name in that? "Drew" is a
> shortened form of "Andrew", is it not? Why could
> they not just call the kid "Andy"? Or let him go
> by his middle name when he gets into school? Damn
> I feel sorry for that kid.
>
> Drew Peacock goes right on that list with Mike
> Rotch and Hugh Jass. My face hurts from laughing.

And let's not forget the immortal "Mike Hunt".

One of the worst names I ever heard about was in a rant on Turtle's now-defunct site. "Amazing Love". I see a career in the sex industry in the future, and she won't even have to change her name.

WTF is the matter with these dumbass breeders, anyway? If you want to give something a dumb name, give it to a pet. At least they won't have to worry about all of the other pets making fun of them in the vet's waiting room, or worry about how their names will look on a college application or job resume.

Sherz
April 11, 2006
I forgot, my neighbor where I grew up was named Hugh G. Peters, no shit!
Nour
April 11, 2006
WTF, indeed! So these dumbasses didn't get the "Droopy" part, but you got to be pretty effing clueless to name a kid any name with "cock" as part of the word.
Anonymous User
April 11, 2006
I wonder if she named apple in honour of the apple that fell out of the tree...smiling smiley
Sherz
April 11, 2006
I just thought of another kid that was in my friend's class last year. Her name is "Sweet Love."

Have any of you ever heard of Jack Mahogoff?
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.