Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

1196 Allergy Story

Posted by KidFreeLuvnLife 
KidFreeLuvnLife
1196 Allergy Story
April 11, 2006
Has anyone here ever noticed how many kids have allergies these days? Jesus tap-dancing christ. EVERYONE has an allergy. When I was a kid, you never heard of anyone having an allergy. No one was wheezing, snotty noses, breaking out in hives, etc. Our school didn't have to watch what they served to us nor did they have allergy warnings all over the place. We as kids ate all kinds of stuff an no one went into anaphylactic shock. We were out in the bushes eating berries that lord knows could have been poisonous. We had peanut butter and jelly sandwiches at sleep overs. It's so out of control anymore. I hate this world we live in.

I don't blame the daycare for outing the kid. I see a lawsuit ready to happen regardless of whether the kid stays or goes.
Anonymous User
Re: 1196 Allergy Story
April 11, 2006
One of the reasons allergies and asthma are so common in kids is that they're not allowed to go play outside in the dirt and develop a proper immune system.
April 11, 2006
I agree...long ago, no one had an allergy because people exposed themselves to everything. These days, parents don't let their kids play with cats or eat nuts, and kids don't want to eat fruit. Their bodies don't become immune to these things, and then these kids all get allergies to foods or animals. I never went outside much as a kid, and I ended up developing an allergy to freshly-cut grass (which mysteriously disappeared a few years ago). I couldn't believe there was actually a skin-prick test to find allergies to grass.

I don't find that it's fair for schools to deprive the entire student body of fruit or nuts or what-not just because one or two kids are allergic. The parents should do the helpful thing called parenting and teach their child why the kid can't eat certain things. That way, the kid goes to school informed and stays away from foods that will make them have a reaction, and no one has to abstain from foods in question. But, since that is way too much to ask of the common breeder, it's usually more ideal for them to be lazy and make everyone else suffer for their little shit loaf.
CF VTer
April 11, 2006
DW and I want to sneak some peanuts onto a plane and start eating them (covertly) during the flight, just to see what happens. There's nothing in the FAR about bringing peanuts on a commercial flight. smiling smiley

I'm allergic to children.
April 11, 2006
Sounds like a plan, CF Vter. Didn't someone on here post a while back about eating a Reese's cup on a bus or plane and some Moo tried to take it from them because her sprog had an allergy to peanuts?
Sherz
April 11, 2006
I have an aunt that drives me crazy!!! She popped out her first, and only (thank God) sprog when she was 43. I'm 42, I don't know how she had the damn energy! Anyway, this little darling is allergic to EVERYTHING, especially peanuts. She has fought with her son's school system since kindergarten to make the school peanut free. Luckily the school system hasn't given in to her. Her kid is such a twirpy, dorky, spoiled brat. She needs to teach the little fucker to stay away from the nuts. Judging from his pussified personality he will probably have a long life of craving the "nuts!" I attribute all of the allergies to OES (old egg syndrome), and to the fact that she LOVES to get attention through her child!!
April 11, 2006
I worked in a call center ten years ago where no one was allowed to bring in tuna or warm up fish in the microwave. I can see the "no microwave" rule since the smell could permeate the entire second floor. The reason for the rule was that this one employee claimed to have a major allergy to fish that could be set off with just the odor. I hate to say it but the woman was a major "attention wh*re". One day, there was a ruckus over a co-worker bringing back cooked shrimp for her lunch from a restaurant. The other woman did not drop dead or have to be rushed to the hospital but words were exchanged. All I can say is, "Ridiculous..." However, I am glad SOMEONE did stand up to this asinine rule that centered around ONE person who just wanted a little attention.
April 11, 2006
yes cambion, http://www.refugees.bratfree.com/read.php?2,1523,page=1

here it is.. i think its partly they use all this kills 99.9% of all known germs, kids arent able to cope with a poor illness, and so they system is more sensitive.. i am allergic to seafood and blueberries, and a muscle relaxant.

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
April 11, 2006
Thank you for the link, Mercurior - I had a feeling that story was on here, but I was too lazy to go look for it. Thank you for countering my laziness.

And I agree with the statement about Moos making sure their kids are squeaky clean all the time. They send their kids to school with those huge bottles of hand sanitizer and bathe them three times a day...and then they wonder why the kid will get twenty-five colds in the course of a year. I think these parents need someone to tell them that letting kids roll around in the dirt from time to time is beneficial to them.
CF Scorpio
April 11, 2006
india_darshan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I worked in a call center ten years ago where no
> one was allowed to bring in tuna or warm up fish
> in the microwave. I can see the "no microwave"
> rule since the smell could permeate the entire
> second floor. The reason for the rule was that
> this one employee claimed to have a major allergy
> to fish that could be set off with just the odor.
> I hate to say it but the woman was a major
> "attention wh*re". One day, there was a ruckus
> over a co-worker bringing back cooked shrimp for
> her lunch from a restaurant. The other woman did
> not drop dead or have to be rushed to the hospital
> but words were exchanged. All I can say is,
> "Ridiculous..." However, I am glad SOMEONE did
> stand up to this asinine rule that centered around
> ONE person who just wanted a little attention.

We have an attorney here in the office who can't stand the smell of food while she is working. You can imagine the complications this causes! If she were a secretary, no one would give in to her, but she outranks us, so we can't eat at our desks.
April 11, 2006
Do you remember when you were a kid?

According to today's regulators and bureaucrats, those of us who were kids in the 60's, 70's and early 80's probably shouldn't have survived, because our baby cots were covered with brightly coloured lead-based paint, which was promptly chewed and licked.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, or latches on doors or cabinets and it was fine to play with pans.

When we rode our bikes, we wore no helmets, just flip flops and
fluorescent 'spokey dokeys' on our wheels.
As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or airbags - riding in the passenger seat was a treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle and it tasted
the same.

We ate chips, bread and butter pudding and drank fizzy pop with sugar
in it, but we were never overweight because we were always outside playing.

We shared one drink with four friends, from one bottle or can and no
one actually died from this.

We would spend hours building go-karts out of scraps and then went top speed down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into stinging nettles a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We would leave home in the morning and could play all day, as long as we were back before it got dark. No one was able to reach us and no one minded.

We did not have Playstations or X-Boxes, no video games at all. No 99 channels on TV, no videotape movies, no surround sound, no mobile phones, no personal computers, and no Internet chat rooms. We had friends, we went outside and found them.

We played elastics and street rounders, and sometimes that ball really hurt.

We fell out of trees, got cut and broke bones but there were no lawsuits.

We had full on fistfights but no prosecution followed from other parents.

We played knock-and-run and were actually afraid of the owners catching us.

We walked to friend's homes.

We also, believe it or not, WALKED to school; we didn't rely on mummy or daddy to drive us to school, which was just round the corner.

We made up games with sticks and tennis balls.

We rode bikes in packs of 7 and wore our coats by only the hood.

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke a law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law.

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers and problem solvers and inventors, ever. The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all.

And you're one of them. Congratulations!

*********************************************************************************************************************************

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
KidFreeLuvnLife
April 12, 2006
A BIG AMEN to THAT mercurior!!! I remember all those things very well. That's when kids knew how to behave and parents actually let us learn lessons on our own.
Sherz
April 12, 2006
Ahhh, old memories of the taste of lead paint, and beating the shit out of my neighbor with no lawsuit!
April 12, 2006
i remembered this as an email i got years ago, and since we were talking bout kids and allergies, i thought it would be good, to remember how it was when we were growing up.

we didnt have allergies, maybe hayfever, but mostly kids were allowed to do anything so long as they werent underfoot, many a time i used to come home with no knees in my trousers, and blacked eyes, or soaking wet from falling in the stream. but kids now are too coddled, too foam padded, to even get ill, to build up immune systems.

Water Lily
April 12, 2006
, I'm a secretary. Ok, so you know my job title.AT my job we can have food, but thankfully, nobody complains....We can bring snacks, because you know, Lunch time may be aways.....and food cravings come. I agree with all of you. This bending backwards to apease someone with some said "allergy" is stupid. If that parent is soooooo afraid her little shit is going to eat the "wrong food" well either pack the damn brats lunch or homeschool him, is she is "so afraid". It doesn't take rocketscience to figure that one out. (Again, I'm just a secretary!)
Water Lily
April 12, 2006
That was good, mercurior. Sadly, I'm younger, and come from a generation, where, the kids are becoming increasingly lazy and spoiled. Sad huh? It embarrasses me! wink
April 12, 2006
strangely enough there is a discussion on health thats spread to allergies and i found this from 1998

http://www.law.uh.edu/Healthlaw/perspectives/Disabilities/981015Peanut.html

M. Fission-Chipz
Childproof medicine bottles can backfire
April 13, 2006
Those monkey-puzzle bottles defeat two classes of people: toddlers too young to have observed someone doing the push-and-turn (or whatever) maneuver, and old folks with arthritic knuckles. So when little Sprogley visits Grandma's house, he's likely to find a row of pill bottles with the tops not locked down. Anyone who proposes yet another of these nanny-state regulations should be required to study some of the nastier examples of the law of unintended consequences. My favorite is the way hard-to-defeat door and steering locks on cars led to the rise of violent carjacking.
Anonymous User
April 13, 2006
I think if the allergy is one of those extremely severe ones (the scent of it and they go into shock types), one really shouldn't be that cruel. (I have a moderate nut allergy, it triggers my asthma. Not fun.) Although most moos try to claim their kids are more severe than they really are.
April 13, 2006
yes i agree, but what is a kid with such a severe reaction doing on a plane. do we stop all peanuts being sold due to a very tiny minority, or do we tell the parents of these kids to maybe not fly but drive/train etc.. and i agree most moos make out their kids illnesses allergies to be more for the reason that people will look at them and their kids and possibly say what a wonderful woman, for coping.

Anonymous User
April 13, 2006
Yeah, although there are some adults too with severe reactions, although airlines are just making sure that no lawsuits pop up at them.

And there's a lot of places you can't drive or train to (like flying across Canada), so we can't ban people with severe allergies from getting where they need to go. It's sort of like saying "why should we take up all this stair space with a wheelchair ramp? They're just a small minority."
April 13, 2006
see its different in the Uk, its a specific mindset here. trains and public transport easy.. planes internally not so common. but we still dont seem to have that kind of mentality, we do a little, and its getting more common.

i can get to manchester or liverpool the 2 major cities near me, in 45 mins, london 250 miles away just over 2 hours, by train.. i keep forgetting it isnt like that there..

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.