Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

"You pinky-promised me!"

Posted by Cheese Louise 
Cheese Louise
"You pinky-promised me!"
October 23, 2008
I went to Target today to pick up a few things. I normally only have time to shop on weekends, so I was looking forward to fewer crowds. It was much better than usual, but there was still the requisite screaming babies and obnoxious kids, including one brat who screamed at his mother "You pinky-promised me!!" He wanted some toy or candy or other piece of shit and was trying to pull one over on his moo with this "pinky-promise" crap. What the hell is that? His moo kept saying "no, I didn't pinky-promise..." Must be yet another creepy breeder ritual I haven't heard of yet.
Re: "You pinky-promised me!"
October 24, 2008
It's nothing new...it's sort of like a "cross my heart" sort of promise, only more childish. As if linking pinky fingers together seals a promise in any way.

I would surmise Snookums tried to make Moomie do a pinky-promise while she was yakking on the phone or otherwise occupied, and Snookums was trying to cash in on his Moo's lack of attention.
October 24, 2008
Cambion Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> >
> I would surmise Snookums tried to make Moomie do a
> pinky-promise while she was yakking on the phone
> or otherwise occupied, and Snookums was trying to
> cash in on his Moo's lack of attention.

I'm with C. Conveniently she "forgets".
October 24, 2008
I wold bet it went someting like, mom was ignoring the kid, the kid asked for something and moo said yes. Moo wasn't even listening, she just said yes.
I sat one day in my parents living room and watched my mom promise my sister a lap top for Christmas. When Christmas cmae around, sister did not get the promised computer. Mom said she never promised it, I corrected her and said she did. Mom got pissed because I called her out on her ignoring her kids in front of everybody.
October 24, 2008
Pinky-promising your kid something????

How about:

"I'm not promising you shit, if I feel you should get it, you will. Now shut up or you'll get nothing and like it."
October 24, 2008
I think the "pinky promise" came from kiddish manga comics those rugrats were reading (yes, anime and manga are VERY popular with the younger generations), where giggling sparkly-eyed schoolgirls joined their littlest fingers together to make a promise. I think that's the custom with Japanese kyds and American kyds doubtless picked that up from the insane youth trend.

I've seen that gesture in a few manga books, BTW.
October 24, 2008
"Yeah, yeah. Just like your dad pinky-promised me that he pulled out in time."

- - - - - - - -
"The death of creativity is a pram in the hallway"
- Cyril Connolly
October 24, 2008
Amethyst Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "Yeah, yeah. Just like your dad pinky-promised me
> that he pulled out in time."

ROFLMAO!
October 25, 2008
I'd pinky promise the little brat that if he didn't stop his tantrum immediately, I would whip his ass but good when we got home and go through with it if Bratleigh didn't behave. Of course, maybe having to be held to a promise would maybe make these idiot Moos more attentive to what their brats are saying.

Kinda OT DH took four years of Japenese and his slut Moo sister gets offered a job as a translator because she can speak anime. Talk about no justice!
October 25, 2008
These "pinky promises" are a childlike version of other juvenile expressions/promises, ie: "Blood brother/sister" promise, "Cross your heart and hope to die...", etc......I think that most promises are over rated anyway and the sooner that brats learn that promises are'nt always kept for various reasons, the better. I avoid making promises that I am not reasonably sure I can keep, but I am also WELL aware that the great majority of people don't give a damn whether they keep a promise or even have the intent to keep the promise as they actually make it. Someone's word used to really mean something, but not so much anymore. It's still important to me and many others, but we have to be realistic in that promise keeping simply isn't of much importance to the majority of people.

I learned at an early age that some people will promise anything in order to get what they want at the moment. I was shocked when I first learned that many people routinely lie, steal,cheat, make promises that they have no intention of keeping, and couldn't care less who they hurt in the process. It's best that this kid learns that a "pinky promise" is about as reliable in the real world as waiting on Santa Claus to come down the chimney and shower us with gifts because we are "good", Praying to religious icons for mercy or help, or accepting a ride from a smiling stranger when we break down in the middle of the night and believing that he is helping out of the goodness of his heart. It's better to have that fantasy shattered with a broken pinky promise now then later on when it could be a life and death situation.
October 25, 2008
While learning that people cannot always be trusted to keep a promise is a hard lesson, it is a lesson that ought to be leaned as soon as possible. The sooner a child learns it, the less traumatic it will be.
October 26, 2008
I learned a long while ago that promises like that mean shit. My mother used to try and guilt me into telling her the truth by saying "You swear to God?" or by making me put my hand on the Bible and saying what I had to say.

Joke was on her, though...because at that point, I had quit believing in God and wasn't afraid of Mr. Invisible, so I happily lied to avoid trouble while my chubby little hand rested on the Bible.

Okay, maybe the religious promises hold a little more significance, but seriously...what kid is going to be afraid enough of some unseen force to not lie? Especially if they, like myself as a child, lied about everything with no remorse?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login