Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Recession

Posted by annie35 
Recession
October 24, 2008
Another reason being CF is so spectacular.
If we lose our jobs, our expenses are low and we will be okay.
Do you think a recession will slow down the breeders and their buying of useless kid crap?

Will any breeders off themself, when their husbands loses his job and the SUV and McMansion is repossessed?
barbara
Re: Recession
October 24, 2008
Just this week, there was an episode of Oprah about parents telling their spoiled teen brats no for the first time because of financial problems. Anyone saw that episode?
October 24, 2008
Yep, the breeders with the most dependents will be hit the hardest. Heck, if I lose my job, the only ones dependent on me are a few rats and a betta. And just as a nod to your "kid-friendly tailgating" post, Annie - my rats don't give a damn what they eat, really. I could cover some wood chips in fruit juice and I bet my adorable little vermin would munch it down without much of a protest. They don't demand little Debbie cakes for every meal (though I'm sure they wouldn't complain if they got those, either).

My husband and I at least have two incomes...so if one of us is down for the count, we'll still have something. The SAHMs will probably be hurting at some point. The big house where Shitney, Mis'taakee', Lil' Pancake, Loolibella, and Princess Peach get to have their own rooms will have to go, as will the gas-guzzling family vehicle.

Ah, well....maybe they can fashion a makeshift house out of all the kindercrap.
Anonymous User
October 24, 2008
I don't know and don't care how hard breedersons are hit.
As someone else here pointed out, some of these bratleighs and shitfords are hearing something they may never have heard in their entitled lives... the word "NO".
Anonymous User
October 24, 2008
In a warped and weird way, I kind of hope things do get REALLY bad...like Great Depression bad. I remember my grandmother telling me a story about her and her siblings having to pass an orange around and each have a bite because they had to share it between the 5 of them for breakfast...and how grateful they were for the taste of the orange and it's wonderful juice. Can you imagine today's kid's reactions to that reality? Unfortunatey, sometimes I think that's what it would take for people to become responsible again and rid this country of these entitlement assholes, which anymore seems to almost anyone under 30-35. Seriously.
deegee
October 24, 2008
As you have read on my "Declaration of Independence" thread, being CF is the main reason why I can voluntarily give up my job and stop working permanently. The wobbly stock market has no negative impact on me. In fact, the depressed value of a bond mutual fund I will buying into will actually provide me with a 10%-15% INcrease in my average monthly income. This more than offsets the slightly lower value of the company stock I will be cashing in.

So, unless there is a HUGE default rate in the hundreds of bonds this investment-grade (not junk) bond mutual fund, I will do just fine.

And if a recession gets most of those SUVs off the road (although with the gas prices on a big decline lately, they may make a comeback), and keeps all those moos from driving so much while yakking on their cell phones, then the world will be a much better place.
October 24, 2008
Yep we can congratulate ourselves on our life choices again!

I'm with Two Cents in that I don't give a toss how hard the Breedersons are hit. In fact I take pleasure in the thought that for many of them a sense of economic responsibility and discipline might actually be featured this holiday season. Fuck em. Fuck em all.

Bye bye to all the shit-tastic businesses that exist because parents are stupid. Serves them right for convincing gullible knucklehead parents that baybees actually need things like speshul what-not with cartoon characters all over them, or thousand-dollar strollers, or half a million 'important developmental' cack which is going to turn their 6-month old lumps into geniuses. Good riddance.

- - - - - - - -
"The death of creativity is a pram in the hallway"
- Cyril Connolly
October 24, 2008
Ah, well....maybe they can fashion a makeshift house out of all the kindercrap.

I can see it now, rows of homes made from Little tyke slides, cardboard boxes, slid n' slides for a roof, and sleeping on $25 burp clothes stapled together. Then there will be us Cf folks warmly nestled in our beds,in actual homes that we can still afford.
Anonymous User
October 24, 2008
there is an element of sadness to it... not noticed by most, save us cf folk..
yes, I can say it, Amethyst can say it.. 'screw em' but I sit and watch them complain, still act entitled (this has not cut down on that, I think it has made it worse imo), and be totally oblivious to the tsunami bearing down on everyone.
Things cannot continue as they are and if this isn't the 'end' then there will be another one in a few years. (I thought 20 years, @ 2020, but maybe I am badly off.) It will be sad to see when the scrounging, the realization that our freedoms and govt will be tossed aside and into the garbage heap just to ensure an illusion of 'the good life'. I just get an impression of grief, incredible grief when it sinks in. Sorry I cannot be more 'factual'.
as a related aside, I recall a story from a holocaust surviver. The individual was a janitor at an exclusive, exclusive school with little princes and princess's from the surrounding communities. I don't know if they were jewish schools or not. He recalled that he saw these kids throw out lovely homemade bag lunches the parents had prepared for them for whatever reason. Later on, when things went south, he saw these same children rooting in garbage for scraps to eat. This is the image that comes to mind...
However, they have been warned and they simply choose to ignore the signs and forge on into disaster. heck with them
allison
October 24, 2008
two cents ΒΆΒΆ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't know and don't care how hard breedersons
> are hit.
> As someone else here pointed out, some of these
> bratleighs and shitfords are hearing something
> they may never have heard in their entitled
> lives... the word "NO".

Early this week, there was an episode of Oprah about parents who are now telling their little darlings the word No for the first time because they are now having financial problems.
me
October 24, 2008
Not all us CF have it worry free. My dependents are dogs. If I lose my job I couldn't even get food stamps and free health care for them.
October 24, 2008
Unfortunately, the harder these breeders are hit, the more they will whine. They'll also be clamoring to get in line to sign up for foodstamps, ADC, etc.
October 24, 2008
me Wrote:
> Not all us CF have it worry free. My dependents
> are dogs. If I lose my job I couldn't even get
> food stamps and free health care for them.

Same here, except with 2 cats. I'm the one paying all the bills and doing everything around here, and I am VERY scared.
October 25, 2008
Yes of course they'll be clamouring even more for food stamps and public money, but guess what. Uncle Government is going to have to say no. There just will not be enough to go round in future. They can't collect tax from people who are laid-off, or whose spending purses have snapped shut, or from people who've sold their cars.

Hey they could always bottle up and sell all the tears of the kiddies who aren't going to get 40 tons of kindercrap for Xmas this year. Japanese businessmen love to buy that freaky shit.

- - - - - - - -
- Cyril Connolly
CFTeen
October 25, 2008
me Wrote:
> Not all us CF have it worry free. My dependents
> are dogs. If I lose my job I couldn't even get
> food stamps and free health care for them.

Same with my kitty...there are some places that will help you with your pet's care if you are in trouble but they are very few and very far between.

Actually, now I'm kind of thankful he's so good at catching rabbits, even if he does try to bring them in the house.
deegee
October 25, 2008
I know there is such a thing as pet health care insurance. My parents had it for their cat in the 1990s. I do not know if it were cost-effective but it wasn't terribly expensive.
October 25, 2008
Amethyst Wrote:
> >
> Bye bye to all the shit-tastic businesses that
> exist because parents are stupid. Serves them
> right for convincing gullible knucklehead parents
> that baybees actually need things like speshul
> what-not with cartoon characters all over them, or
> thousand-dollar strollers, or half a million
> 'important developmental' cack which is going to
> turn their 6-month old lumps into geniuses. Good
> riddance.

I think there will always be a market for that crap.....
October 26, 2008
deegee Wrote:
> I know there is such a thing as pet health care
> insurance. My parents had it for their cat in the
> 1990s. I do not know if it were cost-effective
> but it wasn't terribly expensive.

The big one out there right now is VPI (Veterinary Pet Insurance.) I got a company brochure from the vet when I got my second rescue kitty, but decided against it as it really was more of a catastrophic policy (no pun intended) than an pet HMO. As I recall, it did seem reasonably priced if you signed up a younger pet, but I don't know what happens to the premiums as your pet ages, or what the cost is to sign up an older cat or dog.
CJ
October 26, 2008
It's pretty obvious to even the most clueless people that the economic slide ain't over yet. The fat lady is still warming up. But the daily newspaper now has a twice-weekly shopping supplement, aimed at the fashionista types who think $100 for a blouse is a good deal and extra-high heels are practical for work. No, it's not kindercrap, but it's for the sort of peeps who buy iPods and DVD players for the kyds. Geez, maybe the really clueless folks still haven't gotten the message!confused smiley
October 27, 2008
Has everyone lost their minds??!
There was a bit on the radio recently where they were talking about how the economic crisis was affecting children (blah blah blah...yawn) and making things difficult for teachers in schools because the kids were all stressed out....anyway, a 6th grade teacher said "I talk to kids who are concerned about their parent's mortgage, about the utilities, and I think, when I was that age that I didn't know about the bills". Granted it is radio, they said she was a new teacher, and she sounded relatively young so I believe she was younger than me by at least a few years.

The first thing that popped into my mind when I heard that was that I don't recall a time in my life when I wasn't aware of the fact that things cost money. Even things that I didn't see a direct exchange of money (like electricity), I knew my parents were paying for because they told me "Heat isn't free, put on a sweater".

I can't believe that society as a whole has become so idiotic that parents refuse to even let their children know that things cost money, until now?

"It truly is the one commonality that every designation of humans you can think of has, there's at least one asshole."
--Me
Anonymous User
October 27, 2008
Feh, you are SO right! ...AND I would bet good money that these kids are NOT stressed, that was just said because that plays into the topic.
October 27, 2008
I was constantly reminded of poverty as a kid and so economizing isn't fun, but can be done when you grew up below the poverty line.
deegee
October 27, 2008
Being good at math my whole life, my mom always let me help her out with money matters in the house when I was a kid in the 1970s. This included her showing me her budget notebook with all the monthly bills, how much she paid, and how much of an outstanding balance was left over. I even helped her with her income tax forms. [It is not a coincidence that being involved with financial matters and planning at such a young age has contributed to my being able to plan for my upcoming retirement.]

Times were tough in the 1970s, with the energy crisis, high inflation, and a crummy stock market (which far fewer people invested in back then). But my parents (my mother, mainly) handled it well, and we still had our vacations, a new car every 5-7 years, my brother's rather expensive youth hockey activity, a second floor dormer added to our house, my brother's and my college education (which they paid only 1/3 of the total bills). But I would not discuss this with a teacher or anyone else outside the family; it is a private matter.

My parents insisted I get a part-time, after-school job when I was 16 so I would be able to be responsible with my own money and get a good work ethic.

Bottom line: As many of us have said on many threads on this board, if you are raised properly and with the right values and priorities, you will turn out well.
Anonymous User
October 27, 2008
Feh wrote:

"There was a bit on the radio recently where they were talking about how the economic crisis was affecting children (blah blah blah...yawn) and making things difficult for teachers in schools because the kids were all stressed out...."

Cry me a river 6th graders. Most of them are just worried that moo and duh will have to use all of their money for bills and not have any left over for video games, laptops, ipods, designer clothes, or shoes. A few nonspoiled kids may have real concerns, but the majority are egocentric brats. The teacher should be the one worrying. I'm sure her salary, if she's alone, barely pays for her to live in a shitty apartment in the bad part of town, and she's driving a crappy car, too. That's how it was for me.

Dh and I went to Walmart for cheap toiletries today. They have all of their kid's clothes and toys at drastically reduced prices. Of course other item's prices are being raised because of this. No one cuts the CF a break.
October 27, 2008
Amazing.

When I was in school during the energy crisis, our school had very little heat. It wasn't considered wrong or dangerous or poverty or infringing on our so-called human rights. The thermostat was turned down to minimum because frankly the school district could not afford to give us nice cozy wrap-around caribbean heat. I spent all day every day sitting on my hands at my desk because they were frozen stiff -- and oh yes we looked quite un-cool when we left our snow boots on all day. I distinctly recall mums saying "This is school, not a fashion parade."

Welcome to the real world, kiddies. Wake up!

- - - - - - - -
- Cyril Connolly
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login