Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Baby oil can kill babies

Posted by Cambion 
Baby oil can kill babies
October 27, 2008
Wow, this is my third post in the last 24 hours.

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/parental/babyoil.asp

As with most garbage on Snopes, I'm sure this one is doubtful (despite the "true" warning). But as the story goes...someone's toddler decided to chug-a-lug some baby oil, and Mom figured her kid would get the scoots and little more. As the night wore on, the child ended up being unable to breathe. It turns out that some of the baby oil went into his lungs and, because of the chemical make-up of the oil, it coated his lungs in a way that prevented his blood from being properly oxygenated. The oil entered his lungs when he gasped after being discovered, and a dangerous amount of the oil was inhaled as opposed to ingested.

In the end, the child did not die, but he went into cardiac arrest, suffered brain damage, and now cannot move any of his limbs, can't speak, is mentally disabled and has seizures. All from inhaling a child-friendly product. Yikes.

I have to assume that this was from a time before those child-proof safety lids weer put on baby oil bottles (this story is from 1985). BUT, the second story is from 2001, when I know child-proof lids were put onto bottles of baby oil. And the second story even says the bottle was unopened. It must have been quite an adept child to open it in that case - I sometimes can't open my child-proofed baby oil. Also, if it was fully unopened, would that not also mean the protective plastic seal was still there? Did he break that off as well?

Needless to say, this was a shit-shocker to me...most kid-friendly products are non-toxic. Hell, kids eat crayons, markers, glue and probably their shampoo, among other stuff. I know baby oil is more used by adults than for babies, but wow - talk about irony.
Re: Baby oil can kill babies
October 27, 2008
I know with cats you're not supposed to give them mineral oil for hairballs, for example. As far as that baby, I wonder if he had chugged any type of oil if it would have had the same results.
October 27, 2008
The problem is in the inhaling liquid into your lungs than merely drinking said liquid. Lungs and liquid, they are not friends. There have been instances where children have died hours after being rescued from drowning, or even just after rough housing in the water because of the liquid that got in their lungs.

I'm sure it's possible to do some damage from drinking baby oil, but I think one would have to choke down an insane amount.

"It truly is the one commonality that every designation of humans you can think of has, there's at least one asshole."
--Me
October 27, 2008
So frying my baby in oil, is bad?
Can I bake or grill?
CFTeen
October 27, 2008
BTW, does anyone here know how baby oil is *really* made? \;-}

http://www.hiren.info/funstuff/animations/baby-oil
Anonymous User
October 27, 2008
annie35 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So frying my baby in oil, is bad?
> Can I bake or grill?

Sure, but if you bake it, make sure you marinate overnight in whatever you choose. Buttermilk is recommended.
October 27, 2008
Is it made with real babies?

"You can't slit the throat of every cocksucker whose character it would improve."
-Al Swearingen
Catabat
October 27, 2008
Who was the comedian who said "it takes ten babies to make one bottle of baby oil. But it's less for Greek babies."
October 27, 2008
Catabat Wrote:
> Who was the comedian who said "it takes ten babies
> to make one bottle of baby oil. But it's less for
> Greek babies."

Haha! Very good.

Baby oil can also kill libido. I always wondered why grownups, having a little nookie, ever want to smear it around each other. It smells of babies. Who the hell ever feels sexy with someone who smells like a baby??

Yurch.

- - - - - - - -
"The death of creativity is a pram in the hallway"
- Cyril Connolly
October 27, 2008
Amethyst Wrote:
> Baby oil can also kill libido. I always wondered
> why grownups, having a little nookie, ever want to
> smear it around each other. It smells of babies.
> Who the hell ever feels sexy with someone who
> smells like a baby??

Fingers the Clown feels sexy when he smells baby.

"It truly is the one commonality that every designation of humans you can think of has, there's at least one asshole."
--Me
October 27, 2008
Feh Wrote:
> Amethyst Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Baby oil can also kill libido. I always
> wondered
> > why grownups, having a little nookie, ever want
> to
> > smear it around each other. It smells of
> babies.
> > Who the hell ever feels sexy with someone who
> > smells like a baby??
>
> Fingers the Clown feels sexy when he smells baby.

SCCRRREEAAAMMMMMMM

"You can't slit the throat of every cocksucker whose character it would improve."
-Al Swearingen
October 28, 2008
I saw this on snopes too. If I remember right it was a little container in the kid's sister's purse for using after she went to the gym. I do wonder...I didn't go around drinking random liquids as a kid though I know there was all kinds of stuff in the bathroom drawers, under the sink, &c.--I know kids are curious but it does seem a tad dim to just go around drinking things randomly. It is a bit scary, however, how a benign product can be so deadly, in such a weird way.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login