Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

#1221 H.S. band trip to London

Posted by CF Scorpio 
CF Scorpio
#1221 H.S. band trip to London
April 13, 2006
"What happens if kids get on a train that blows up? We don't have trains blowing up in America," he told the Fort Myers News-Press.

You're right, genius! We just have terrorists flying planes into buildings. Much safer than exploding trains! Dumb fuck...

Which reminds me...hurricane season will be starting up again in a few months. And we all know how "safe" Florida is during that time of year! Much safer than London...NOT!!!
Re: #1221 H.S. band trip to London
April 13, 2006
argh..... terrorism isnt new, at least not in the Uk, i nearly got blown up twice by car bombs. (nearly apart from a feeling and i cancelled it).. london has had many car bombs in the past, even during the IRA campaigns it wasnt as dangerous more people died during the car bombs. than on the train in july.

we have had over 33 years of terrorist attacks, and to change our lives mean they have won. the next day after the july bombs, people went back to work and carried on.

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
April 13, 2006
they are going

http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2006/4/7/152624.html

FORT MYERS, Fla. (AP) - Parents of Fort Myers High School marching band members overwhelmingly voted to send them to London to perform in the city's New Year's Day parade, ending an international spat that had threatened tourism on both sides of the ocean.

The school district superintendent had nixed the trip in early March, citing the threat of terrorism in Europe. The incident drew international media attention, and British officials responded by noting Fort Myers' crime rate and its vulnerability to hurricanes.

Earlier this week, the school board overruled the superintendent and put the decision in the hands of the band parents. Last night, the parents voted 101-3 to approve the trip.

Nineteen marching bands from the United States will participate in the parade, and none of the others raised any concerns about safety.

*********************************************************************************************************************************

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
Water Lily
April 13, 2006
All hell, we could be attacked here in the U.S. Refusing to do their band in London, whether or not London gets attacked, (I doubt it) That lets all those terrorists think all us Americans are so scared. F*ckin' crap!
Water Lily
April 13, 2006
CF Scorpio Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "What happens if kids get on a train that blows
> up? We don't have trains blowing up in America,"
> he told the Fort Myers News-Press.
>
> You're right, genius! We just have terrorists
> flying planes into buildings. Much safer than
> exploding trains! Dumb fuck...
>
> Which reminds me...hurricane season will be
> starting up again in a few months. And we all
> know how "safe" Florida is during that time of
> year! Much safer than London...NOT!!!

Gee, what is sooooooo wrong with a little "London rain" compared to a dangerous, disasterous, HURRICANE????? Hell, *I* would take the London rain over a hurricane ANYDAY!!!!!

April 14, 2006
london rain isnt proper rain try going up north to liverpool or manchester. thats real rain wink..

if anyone visits the UK, visit london by all means, its a good city, but also travel north, we are very friendly, and will help anyone. and people seem to be more accepting of a lot of things, especially cf ness.. spoke to lots of people and they say ok if it suits you, then thats fine.

CF VTer
April 14, 2006
OMG.

Well, as ridiculous as I think this is, I'm kind of happy for London. Who wants a bunch of dopey American high school kids running around their city? smiling smiley

As for heading north, yes, it's nice up there. Well, how far north? DW and I go to Glasgow every once in a while. Irn Bru and deep fried haggis. Can't really go wrong there. (Also been lurking about the Scottish highlands and the Hebrides. Very Vermont-like!)
KidFreeLuvnLife
April 14, 2006
Exactly CF Vter. The rest of the world probably hears how awful the spawn of American pahrunts are and they want no parts of their shenanigans. Besides, everyone in London would be getting sued if one of the precious golden sproggs got injured while over there.
Glad to see they're going. Not going would be accomplishing just what the terrorists of the world want. People can't avoid wonderful opportunities, just because of random fear. I swear, some of the kids these days are fricken' afraid of everything because their parents are soooooo damned over-protective!
April 14, 2006
i live near manchester and liverpool and chester all round me,

Water Lily
April 15, 2006
I always thought the brittish were cool.
April 15, 2006
some are cold (the weather) .. its a good place, better than most,

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.