Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cash for classes mum 'didn't realise it was wrong'.

Posted by CherryBlossom 
Cash for classes mum 'didn't realise it was wrong'.
December 08, 2008
http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/local/5201206/cash-classes-mum-didnt-realise-wrong/

A Sydney mother accused of trying to bribe her son's primary school teacher to help him get into a selective school says she did not know it was wrong to pay teachers.

Speaking through a translator, the boy's mother has told the New South Wales Independent Commission against Corruption (ICAC) she gave her son's teacher an envelope containing $2,000 in cash, in the hope the teacher would give her son extra attention in class.

She says she did not want her son to get an inflated mark, but just wanted extra help to improve his grades.

The woman told the inquiry although she now knows it was not noble or a moral thing to do, she did not realise it was wrong at the time.

The ICAC inquiry had earlier heard the teacher of the year five student at Westmead Public School say she had received "wads of cash" on two separate occasions from the boy's parents, in the hope it would secure their son a place in a selective high school.

Jodie-Lee Pearce told the Commission the boy's mother met with her after school in August and upon leaving handed her an envelope containing $2,000 in $50 notes.

The envelope also had a letter asking for help with English in the lead-up to the selective school exam.

Ms Pearce says she was shocked when she saw the money and ran into another classroom to show a colleague.

She has also told the inquiry the boy's father also visited her at the school in October with another envelope containing $500 and a letter asking for favourable consideration.

It is alleged the parents were trying to get their son into Baulkham Hills Selective High School in Sydney's north-west.

In his opening address, the counsel-assisting ICAC, Don McKenzie, has told the inquiry parents are eager, sometimes even desperate to get their children into selective schools.

Pathetic. eye rolling smiley
Re: Cash for classes mum 'didn't realise it was wrong'.
December 09, 2008
Riiiighhtt, she didn't know that was "wrong". I do not believe that I have ever heard of bribery going on in grade school, regarding parents paying off teachers for special considerations. If their kyd actually can't cut it on his own, will they just continue to pay off high school teachers, then college professors, buy them a certification in their field of specialty after they pay off the test prompter for them to pass state exams or boards, and then BUY them a job as well? If they go that far then they may as well go on ahead and pay people off to become clients, customers, patrons, or patients as well. If this moomie/duddy TRULY thought that the cash was for extra tutoring or whatnot, then they would have and should have asked the teacher if she was available for hire as a private tutor OUTSIDE of and in addition to the classroom. Then, IF she/he accepted, it should have been a competitive wage, not some unmarked bills in a plain envelope.

A parent who attempts (or succeeds) to buy his kyds' way in life is doing that child a GRAVE disservice as well as causing an unfair disadvantage to their kyds' peers, not to even mention the harm which may be caused to potential clients/patients/customers, etc.....due to their kyd's most certain professional incompetence in the future. I would rather have a surgeon who passed his boards with a high C grade on his own merit rather than one who had PEREFECT straight A's across the board, which were bought and paid for by moomie or duddy dearest. What is WRONG with these people?
And speaking through a translator
Fuck them. Learn the language you bunch of foreign breeder assholes.
And, naturally, nothing big will be made of this because after all, she didn't KNOW it was wrong to pay off the teacher. GMAFB.
December 09, 2008
Fucking amoral liars. Way to prepeare your snowflake for the real world.
December 09, 2008
Learn English, insist that your chyldren learn English, ya idiot foreigners! Like hell she didn't realise it was wrong"!!!!
December 10, 2008
My patootie she didn't know it was wrong. What disingenuous horse poo. I'm glad the teachers, none of whom are millionaires I imagine, had the good ethics to refuse the money and turn her in. At least THEY are good examples to the kid.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login