Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Coffee Increases Fertility Problems

Posted by RatsNotBrats 
Coffee Increases Fertility Problems
December 16, 2008
Found at: news.bbc.co.uk

Women with poor fertility may further harm their chances of conceiving if they drink more than four cups of coffee per day, according to a study conducted by researchers from Radboud University in Nijmegan, the Netherlands, and presented at the European Society for Human Reproduction and Embryology conference in Barcelona.

Researchers gave lifestyle questionnaires to all 9000 women who had undergone unsuccessful in vitro fertilization treatment in the Netherlands between 1985 and 1995. Approximately 16 percent of the women later became pregnant through natural means, 45 percent of them within six months of their last treatment. Women who drank more than four cups of coffee each day had 26 percent lower chance of conceiving that women who drank less.

Women who drank alcohol three times a week or more had a similarly reduced chance of conception, while being an overweight person who smokes more than one cigarette per day hampered fertility even more.

A 36-year-old overweight woman who smoked and who drank large amounts of coffee and alcohol would have only one-third the chance of conceiving as a woman of normal weight who had none of those unhealthy behaviors, the researchers calculated.

"We have to remind our patients that they may influence their chance of spontaneous pregnancy after IVF with a healthy lifestyle," lead researcher Bea Linsten said.

Fertility expert Bill Leger of the University of Sheffield, speculated that caffeine might lower fertility by having a mildly toxic effect on sperm and egg cells. In a woman with no fertility problems, the effects might be too small to be noticeable, but "if you're already subfertile it could push you over the edge," he said.

Fiona Ford of the Center for Pregnancy Nutrition agreed that the findings might not apply to women without fertility problems.

"Whilst the results of this study are interesting, there are evidently limitations to these findings," she said, "as post in vitro fertilization patients are a selective group who have already experienced problems with conception."

Someone needs to forward this to our pal antigone. She's always posting about drinking coffee and cutting in line at the coffee shop.

That being said, I'm about to pour myself a nice, hot cuppa joe and add some alcohol to it. Anyone care to join me? :beer
Anonymous User
Re: Coffee Increases Fertility Problems
December 16, 2008
I'll have some please RNB. I prefer mine with Kahlua AND Baily's, thanks! drinking coffee
December 16, 2008
give me a cup or ten.

T wo
H ousehold
I ncome
N o
K ids
E arly
R etirement
December 16, 2008
"A 36-year-old overweight woman who smoked and who drank large amounts of coffee and alcohol would have only one-third the chance of conceiving as a woman of normal weight who had none of those unhealthy behaviors, the researchers calculated."

I am sure there are plenty who match this description who are trying to get knocked up, as we speak. What about all of that talk about "...the welfare of the chyllldren"??? If you are past prime childbearing years, drink alcohol on a regular basis, guzzle coffee, smoke like a chimney, and are a big fat slob with poor eating habits, then you don't NEED to be "TTC". I can't even believe that they would allow women who are not living healthy lifestyles to participate in these EXPENSIVE IFV treatments when it's clear that if they would clean up their acts, they would probably conceive naturally, according to their own comments. That business of coffee/caffeine being linked to infertility and miscarriages has been out since the 1970's, nothing new here.eye rolling smiley

They don't allow alcoholics to get liver transplants (or even get their name on the list) until they are alcohol free for at LEAST 6 months. It should be the same way for these whores who are having insurance or universal healthcare pay for their IVF or other fertility treatments. I guess that a liver that would save someone's life isn't as important as pumping baybee juice up their snatches because it involves a chyyyllllld and HIS 'Potential" life. When I think of the tax payer money that goes to moo cow wannabees to get knocked up when there are HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of adoptable kids out there, it really pisses me off.angry smiley

I read on one "Barren women" support site that one "bingo" they hate to hear is, "You can always adopt". They say that people "..just don't understand.." that they want to "EXPERIENCE" pregnancy, childbirth, breast feeding,etc.... and that they want, "one of their own.". That ENRAGED me when I read that because I could easily read between the lines. They want ATTENTION, special treatment, showers and parties, attentive husbands, oohs and aahs, and of course, they want a self replicant AND a "lifetime bond" with their husbands, translation:A guaranteed paycheck for 18 years as well as a form of emotional bondage with the man, regardless if he wants to ever see their ugly mugs again or not. SELFISH bitches is synonymous with "trying to conceive" moomie wannabees. The LEAST that they can do is stay sober, put down the cigarettes for a coupla months, and drink decaf.angry flipping off
December 16, 2008
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!! Been drinkin' it almost every day since I was 7 years old.
December 16, 2008
I drink it too, but sadly, only sparingly...sometimes not even once a week. Makes me want to just have it pumped into my body via IV instead.
Anonymous User
December 16, 2008
I'm making a Starbucks run. Anyone want something?
December 16, 2008
How nice of you to offer, Marzi. Pick me up about 20 cups of the strongest java they brew, would you? In 'Grande' size, if that's ok. I appreciate it. I've got a bottle of a vodka I'll be pouring into each cup once you bring them.

*grabs the phone*

"Hello? Yes, is this Radboud University? The place that did the coffee/infertility study? Yeah, I've got a question....uh, I was wondering, would it have an even more profound effect on my fertility if I got a turkey baster and just shoved the coffee directly into my....

*CLICK*

....er...hello? HELLO?! DAMMIT, stop hanging up on me!!"

grinning smiley
December 16, 2008
Do you think I could get my own water tower in my backyard and fill it with coffee instead? And pass some of that flavored liquer that you can put in it!
December 17, 2008
COFFEE FOR EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Anonymous User
December 17, 2008
Maybe we need to spike the water supply w/coffee..
eh, wot?? winking smiley
December 17, 2008
Next door to our office is an accupuntureist who offers "natural fertility classes" involving diet, accupuncture, massage and other natural ways for couples to increase their fertility.

I think someone should offer "natural infertility classes" to help singles and couples decrease their chances of procreation without the muss and fuss of birth control. Alcohol, coffee, high fat foods, marijuana...sign me up.

"It truly is the one commonality that every designation of humans you can think of has, there's at least one asshole."
--Me
December 17, 2008
Feh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Next door to our office is an accupuntureist who
> offers "natural fertility classes" involving diet,
> accupuncture, massage and other natural ways for
> couples to increase their fertility.
>
> I think someone should offer "natural infertility
> classes" to help singles and couples decrease
> their chances of procreation without the muss and
> fuss of birth control. Alcohol, coffee, high fat
> foods, marijuana...sign me up.

I am right there with you.

T wo
H ousehold
I ncome
N o
K ids
E arly
R etirement
December 17, 2008
annie35 Wrote:
> Feh Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Next door to our office is an accupuntureist
> who
> > offers "natural fertility classes" involving
> diet,
> > accupuncture, massage and other natural ways
> for
> > couples to increase their fertility.
> >
> > I think someone should offer "natural
> infertility
> > classes" to help singles and couples decrease
> > their chances of procreation without the muss
> and
> > fuss of birth control. Alcohol, coffee, high
> fat
> > foods, marijuana...sign me up.
>
> I am right there with you.

You can add Love T. Lurk to that sign up sheet as well. I don't like coffee, but dammit, I can start.
December 17, 2008
I'll take a dozen, thanks. grinning smiley drinking coffee
December 17, 2008
Feh Wrote:
> Next door to our office is an accupuntureist who
> offers "natural fertility classes" involving diet,
> accupuncture, massage and other natural ways for
> couples to increase their fertility.
>
> I think someone should offer "natural infertility
> classes" to help singles and couples decrease
> their chances of procreation without the muss and
> fuss of birth control. Alcohol, coffee, high fat
> foods, marijuana...sign me up.

LOL drinking coffee

We could also replace their pre-natal vitamins with caffeine pills, their KY jelly with spermacidal gels, and just for shits and giggles we can tamper with their piss sticks so that they ALL show the coveted two pink lines.tongue sticking out smiley I would feel SO sorry for the men in their lives though after they mistakenly passed the piss stick test, once they found out the truth. They would probably file a class action suit against the piss stick people for "pain and suffering."
Soulie
December 18, 2008
I wish I could still drink coffee, but it gives me heart palpitations sad smiley

I can still drink caffeine-loaded energy drinks though grinning smiley

My boyfriend was born with one testicle much higher than the other so he has natural fertility problems, even though they re-adjusted it to its correct position. God bless his biology! (He was also born with his intestines on the outside but that's another story altogether).
December 18, 2008
So friends, did everyone have a nice, hot cup of the good stuff today? grinning smiley

And Kim, LOL at your ideas!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login