Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

If they say no, we are litigating

Posted by annie35 
If they say no, we are litigating
December 19, 2008
My husband and I decided a vasectomy is our best option.
He is going to start calling doctors about it.
We talked about if doctors say no, because we are CF.
My husband said we will sue for our reproductive or lack of rights, if they say no. He is ready to take a stand.
He said he is tired of being dictated by those who think they know best and will sue for everything they have if need be.

T wo
H ousehold
I ncome
N o
K ids
E arly
R etirement
Re: If they say no, we are litigating
December 19, 2008
Excellent! Good luck to you both! My husband had one done in September, and it was the best thing we could have done for ourselves. Try ringing Planned Parenthood - that's what we did, and they recommended an EXCELLENT doctor that never bingoed us and respected our choice. And if you get turned down... Sue-away! If the breeders can sue a doctor for sterilising them when THEY ASKED FOR IT DONE, then the CF should be able to do the same when a doctor refuses to do their fucking job.
Idiocrate
December 19, 2008
annie your doctor is a damn liar. he doesn't do sterilizations because of his own beliefs, period.

as long as you sign the papers stating that this is what you want and it is a final decision, there is no liability for him, he is a damn liar.

annie35 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> I hope. His doctor does not do any vasectomies or
> any other type of sterilization. He said it is for
> liabilty reasons.
>
>
> But hey if we need to make an example out of some
> poor doctor and advance the rights of the CF, I am
> fine with that.
December 19, 2008
Idiocrate Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> annie your doctor is a damn liar. he doesn't do
> sterilizations because of his own beliefs, period.
>
>
> as long as you sign the papers stating that this
> is what you want and it is a final decision, there
> is no liability for him, he is a damn liar.
>
>
> annie35 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > married with rabbits Wrote:
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > -----
> > > I hope you don't have to go that far, Annie.
> I
> > > think sometimes all it takes is lucking out
> with
> > a
> > > good doctor. My brother in law just got his
> > snip
> > > and had no trouble and he is in his early
> 30s.
> >
> >
> > I hope. His doctor does not do any vasectomies
> or
> > any other type of sterilization. He said it is
> for
> > liabilty reasons.
> >
> >
> > But hey if we need to make an example out of
> some
> > poor doctor and advance the rights of the CF, I
> am
> > fine with that.

I know he stopped delivering babies and seeing children and only services adults now. He said his liability insurance for delivering babies and their care was too expensive, so he was going to just focus on general medicine. The breeders made his life hell, so he stopped dealing with him.

T wo
H ousehold
I ncome
N o
K ids
E arly
R etirement
DrDanCorelli
December 19, 2008
Annie:

Call Planned Parenthood for a referral. They usually know the docs who will do a vasectomy with a minimum of drama and nonsense. I usually recommend a urologist to do the procedure. Be aware that some states have mandatory waiting periods for a vasectomy. If so, contact a doctor in a neighboring state. Do not fall for the psychological profile crap either.

Good luck.
December 19, 2008
Excellent -- go for it!

A doctor who turns anyone down for sterilisation is in the same sue-able square as one who tells a child-wanting couple that they can't be allowed to have one because, er, well just because...

- - - - - - - -
"The death of creativity is a pram in the hallway"
- Cyril Connolly
Krishna
December 19, 2008
Annie, be very demanding. That is how I got my tubal. I just went in like a friggin' bulldozer. *I* wanted the snip and did not want to depend on a mate for the Big V as relationships can end. But, it "inhales with great force" for a man to be hassled as well. Stand strong!
Anonymous User
December 19, 2008
Why put $$ in Dr. Breeder's pocket or risk him doing a half-assed job because he's a breeder enabler?

Fuck him. Go to a MD who respects CF people.
RandomCFChick
December 19, 2008
Another vote for Planned Parenthood. They were super-professional and got us with a urologist who basically said "This Friday's full; how about next Friday at 9 AM? Oh, and you realize this is permanent right?"

To which DH said "Yep, that's the whole point."
Doc grinned and said "Good."

Zero bullshit, totally respectful of our decision and our intellgence.
Anonymous User
December 19, 2008
I hope it wouldn't come to that.
If it is the docs personal beliefs, I would just as soon honor what they believe and think. We certainly don't like it when the show is on the other foot.
The point could be made that a docs belief would conflict with our own...
Just check around..
Keep in mind that the doctors who do perform tubals and vasectomies are sued by people who change their mind and wanna breed.
They are in a no win situation.
December 19, 2008
I've never had anything but a good experience at Planned Parenthood. They are indeed, for all my experiences, a no-bullshit facility. The doc I once saw at PP was better than the doc I currently go to at a 'fancier' office at a hospital. Like others mentioned, it probably won't come to that, Annie. They'll probably just give you the old, "Now you know this is permanent, riiiight?" thing and that's probably the most you'll get. Good luck! I bet you can't wait for this to be done! Keep us posted.
December 19, 2008
I have known SEVERAL men who have gotten the snip, no problem. Getting a tubal however, is another matter entirely. If you live in the south and are female, and haven't given birth to at least the magic second kid and get spayed on the birthing table so they don't have to actually schedule a "pro death" sterilization, you are F U C K E D.
k-man
December 20, 2008
Do keep in mind that some states impose a waiting period on childfree people who request sterilization. In my state (East Coast) it's 30 days. It's not just an Eastern/Southern thing, as I understand that California imposes a similar rule.

Funny thing: no one would dare try to impose a significant waiting period on abortion for obvious reasons, nor would anyone tell a wannabe moo she has to wait X months to have a chyld. But that's a topic for another time.
December 20, 2008
Annie I can't understand why you would waste your money "litigating" to force a doctor to do this procedure. He is just as "entitled" (yes, this is a case where it is OK to be entitled to something) to do as he feels he needs to with his business as you are to do with your own body.

If I had to use the court system to force a doctor to do this procedure, I'd ask myself if I TRUSTED him to do it effectively. We know that vasectomies can still allow enough sperm through to cause pregnancy. So what guarantee do you have that this doctor wouldn't "accidentally" do an "incomplete" vasectomy? You wouldn't win in court if you sued him for getting pregnant off the bad snip, due to the reason I mentioned above.

If *I* sued someone, I wouldn't trust them near me under anaesthesia (local OR general) with a knife, no matter what the judge said. But that's just me. It's your money and your (and your husband's) body.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"I have learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is easy and fun as hell"

:eatu
Anonymous User
December 20, 2008
In Iceland nobody over 25 can be denied a tubal or the doctors can face disciplinary actions. I think we should follow suit.

http://unscriptedlife.net/articles/looking-for-sterilization-in-iceland

MIB
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login