Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How about a bratfree recipe thread??

Posted by twocents 
How about a bratfree recipe thread??
December 22, 2008
I saw a nice recipe on another post...
How about it?
I could always post my recipe for my 'hefe and a half'... not...

Take cooked cauliflour florets, canned chopped tomatoes (drained well), and onions sauteed in liberal bacon grease. Put in shallow baking dish so mixture is not very deep and top with Velveeta and then pepperidge farm stuffing. Cover with foil and bake about half hour. (We do this in a toaster oven actually.) 10 minutes from end, uncover pan and continue baking. Keep an eye on it so the stuffing does not burn.
there..

two cents ¢¢

CERTIFIED HOSEHEAD!!!

people (especially women) do not give ONE DAMN about what they inflict on children and I defy anyone to prove me wrong

Dysfunctional relationships almost always have a child. The more dysfunctional, the more children.

The selfish wants of adults outweigh the needs of the child.

Some mistakes cannot be fixed, but some mistakes can be 'fixed'.

People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one. Leo J. Burke

Adoption agencies have strict criteria (usually). Breeders, whose combined IQ's would barely hit triple digits, have none.
Re: How about a bratfree recipe thread??
December 22, 2008
Yum!

I am going to try this.

Here is my recipe.

OJ and Grey Goose. Mix according to taste and enjoy while making other recipes posted.
Cheers!

T wo
H ousehold
I ncome
N o
K ids
E arly
R etirement
December 22, 2008
thats perfect for the patio.. wink in more than one sense

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
December 22, 2008
How bout recipes with lots of nuts in 'em, and honey, and soft cheeses? Heh heh!

- - - - - - - -
"The death of creativity is a pram in the hallway"
- Cyril Connolly
December 22, 2008

Here is my recipe.

OJ and Grey Goose. Mix according to taste and enjoy while making other recipes posted.
Cheers!

Mmmmmmmmmm, that's one of my favorites as well!

I make a killer sweet potato pie...

-6 cups peeled and cut canned yams
-1 cup milk
-1 egg
-1/4 cup butter (softened)
-1/2 cup granulated white sugar

Topping:

-1 cup brown sugar
-1/2 cup flour
-1/4 cup butter (softened)
-1 bag o' chopped pecans

Mix the yams, egg, milk, butter and sugar together until kinda kreamy. It's good to leave a few yam chunks. Pour that mixture into a greased baking dish. Next combine the topping ingredients, 'cept for the pecans. Spread the topping mixture over the top of the potatoes. You can crumble it, drop it by dollops or swirl it onto the top. Then sprinkle on the pecans and bake for 35 - 40 minutes. Mmmmm, yummy!
December 22, 2008
My favorite drinks...

Spicy Apple Cider
In a crock pot, 1/2 apple cider, 1/2 spiced rum (I like sailor jerry's), 2-3 cinnamon sticks and 5-6 cloves. Throw in some ginger root too...heat till warm and start drinking.

The Shaggy DA
Dark rum (super dark, like cruzian), ginger ale, wedge of lime over ice. I usually mix these 1 part rum, 2 parts ginger ale. When mixed properly, this tastes just like an old school Coca Cola. (Use ginger beer, instead of ale, for a Dark and Stormy)

Grape Ape
Grape vodka, lemonaid, ice...yum

"It truly is the one commonality that every designation of humans you can think of has, there's at least one asshole."
--Me
Anonymous User
December 22, 2008
Jose Cuervo Christmas Cookies

1 cup of water

1 tsp baking soda

1 cup of sugar

1 tsp salt

1 cup or brown sugar

4 large eggs

1 cup nuts

2 cups of dried fruit

1 bottle Jose Cuervo Tequila

Sample the Cuervo to check quality.
Take a large bowl, check the Cuervo again, to be sure it is of the highest quality, pour one level cup and drink.

Turn on the electric mixer. Beat one cup of butter in a large fluffy bowl.

Add one peastoon of sugar. Beat again. At this point it's best to make sure the Cuervo is still ok, try another cup just in case.

Turn off the mixerer thingy.
Break 2 leggs and add to the bowl and chuck in the cup of dried fruit.

Pick the frigging fruit off the floor.
Mix on the turner.
If the fried druit gets stuck in the beaters just pry it loose with a drewscriver.

Sample the Cuervo to check for tonsisticity.
Next, sift two cups of salt, or something. Who geeves a sheet.
Check the Jose Cuervo. Now shift the lemon juice and strain your nuts.

Add one table.
Add a spoon of sugar, or somefink. Whatever you can find.

Greash the oven.
Turn the cake tin 360 degrees and try not to fall over.
Don't forget to beat off the turner.

Finally, throw the bowl through the window, finish the Cose Juervo and make sure to put the stove in the wishdasher.
Cherry Mistmas !
December 22, 2008
A favorite of mine and my friends...triple chocolate cookies.

Ingredients:

- 1 cup butter (softened)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups flour
- 2/3 cup baking cocoa
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups (12 oz.) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups white chocolate chips

What to do:

- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in vanilla.
- Combine flour, cocoa and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture.
- Stir in the chocolate chips and roll the dough into 1.5-inch balls.
- Place 2 inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet and bake at 400 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes or until set.
- Cool for 5 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool.

Yield: 5 dozen

Coincidentally, I have a stack of Mum's cooking magazines and books next to me as I intend to copy some recipes onto my laptop for use at school, including a recipe for fast tiramisu that makes use of Snack Pack pudding cups (I wish I was confident enough in myself to make the real stuff, but I'm a moron in the kitchen).

And for those of us who may not be big drinkers but still would like to sip a fancy drink occasionally...a fine recipe for a virgin strawberry daiquiri is to liquify 3 or 4 frozen strawberries, 2 or 3 teaspoons of sugar, lime juice (I estimate 1/4 cup) and International Delight Irish creme coffee creamer (maybe 1/6 of a cup...I don't measure) in a blender. Pour into a pretty glass and garnish with a thawed strawberry or lime slice or whatever you prefer.
December 23, 2008
Hyuk. That recipe was supposed to be mocking CFEZ and what Cambion said they do when they think someone is a troll. It was the first recipe I randomly clicked on after googling "recipe".

I'm glad you folks liked it.

All I have this week are recipes for disaster.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"I have learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is easy and fun as hell"

:eatu
December 23, 2008
This is a favourite of mine that reminds me of home. My husband never heard/tasted this dish before he met me, lol. He loves it... We usually have this on a Friday night. Sadly, I have discovered that lamb mince (or lamb meat) is next to impossible to find over here. Or at least in my area. It's all beef... * sigh *

Shepherd's pie

Serving size: Serves 6 (I usually portion the rest and freeze it up to a month).
Cooking time: More than 1 hour

INGREDIENTS

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 kg lamb mince (or beef)

30 g butter

2 medium onions (300g), diced

3 stalks celery (300g), diced

2 medium carrots (300g), diced

1 cup of peas and corn kernels

2 cloves garlic, crushed

2 tablespoons tomato paste (or you can substitute that with BBQ sauce – like Open Pit. I ran out of tomato paste one day and used it instead. It turned out to be VERY delicious)

2-3 tablespoons plain flour

1-2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce (I usually put in ¼ cup)

1-2 bay leaves

200g sliced mushrooms, optional

1 cup beef stock

1 tablespoon fresh thyme or rosemary, chopped finely (or ANY herb/spice, really. It tastes good with oregano, basil, etc.)

2 tablespoons parsley, roughly chopped

Sea salt and cracked black pepper to taste

1 kg mashed potato (I just use a packet or two of instant mash. Just as good)

2 cups mature cheddar cheese, grated

METHOD

Heat large heavy based pot or pan, add oil and lamb mince. Cook stirring, until mince is well browned and liquid has evaporated. Remove mince from pan and reserve.

Return pan to heat. Add butter, onion, celery, carrot and garlic. Cook over medium heat until soft (3-4 minutes).

Add tomato paste, cook 1 minute then add flour and cook another 2 minutes.

Return meat to pan. Add Worcestershire, bay leaf, tomatoes, mushrooms, stock, thyme and/or rosemary and salt and pepper. Bring to the boil.

Reduce heat, half cover and simmer 20-25 minutes. Mixture should reduce by about 1/3.

Add parsley, season to taste. Remove from heat.

Preheat oven 180°C or 160°C fan-forced.

Fold together mashed potato and half the cheese.

Lightly butter 8 cup ceramic baking dish. Pour in filling. Top with potato mix. Fork the top and sprinkle with remaining cheese.

Bake in preheated oven until top is golden, 20-30 minutes.

Turn once, 15 minutes into cooking time, if top is browning unevenly.

Serve with a garden salad.
December 23, 2008
mercurior
thats perfect for the patio.. wink in more than one sense

sorry, too late...

two cents ¢¢

CERTIFIED HOSEHEAD!!!

people (especially women) do not give ONE DAMN about what they inflict on children and I defy anyone to prove me wrong

Dysfunctional relationships almost always have a child. The more dysfunctional, the more children.

Adoption agencies have strict criteria (usually). Breeders, whose combined IQ's would barely hit triple digits, have none.
December 23, 2008
What prompted this was that artichoke recipe on another thread. I printed it out, but misplaced it..
Who did that and would they please repost it here??
Thanks.

two cents ¢¢

CERTIFIED HOSEHEAD!!!

December 23, 2008
twocents
What prompted this was that artichoke recipe on another thread. I printed it out, but misplaced it..
Who did that and would they please repost it here??
Thanks.

All RIGHT! It was posted originally as a joke!

I got it here:

http://allrecipes.com/Search/Recipes.aspx?WithTerm=artichoke%20dip

I just typed "recipe" into the URL box and clicked on the first thing I saw. I don't remember which one it was.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"I have learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is easy and fun as hell"

:eatu
December 24, 2008
Thanks poofy
Another recipe I make from time to time is prettles. They may be elsewhere, perhaps by different names, but I only found them in the northwest part of Ohio.

1 lb hamburger meat.
1 qt beef stock or use bouillion
1 1/3 cup steel cut pin oats
Pepper, Red Pepper. (to taste)
salt, if the boullion doesn't make it salty enuf.
Put in top of double boiler and set the double boiler top on the heat. Bring to a boil, then set on top of pot of simmering water.
Allow to cook for an hour, stirring occasionally.

Turn out into generously greased (I use bacon fat to add a layer of flavor) loaf pan, pack down and let cool.
Slice and fry the slices. You need just a tad of fat to get it going. If you use a fatty hamberger you don't need much fat.

two cents ¢¢

CERTIFIED HOSEHEAD!!!

December 24, 2008
I have a brownie recipe I have been using for more than 20 years.

1/2 cup of butter or margarine (1 stick)
1/2 cup of unsweetened chocolate (1/2 cup of unsweetened powder or 2 squares of chocolate or 2 packets of pre-melted chocolate)
1 cup of sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon of vanilla
3/4 cup of flour
1 small package of mini-chocolate chips (optional)

Preheat oven to 350F and grease one 8x8 inch pan. Melt butter/margarine and chocolate together (if using squares) or combine them in liquid form.

Then add eggs and vanilla. Then add sugar. Add flour last and make sure all the lumps are out of the batter. Then add the chocolate chips.

Pour batter into pan and bake it for 30 minutes. Test the baked batter using a toothpick. The edges may bake first before the center does. Let it cool for 10-15 minutes and slice as desired.

I often doubled or tripled the ingredients to make 2 or 3 batches, carefully splitting the batter as evenly as possible into each pan. I also would include 2 1/2 times the ingredients (i.e. 5 eggs, 5 squares of chocolate, 2 1/2 sticks of margaraine/butter) but make only 2 batches. If you do this, you need to add another 10 minutes to the baking time because each pan will have more batter in them. It is better to not include the chocolate chips if you make only one batch, I have found.
December 24, 2008
(hustles up to the mike, trips over cord, clears throat) Wow, lots of yummy recipes here. Yes, Married with R, you are sweet to say so; thank you! You are right; I do love to cook! Tonight's dinner was Beef Bourguignonne. It looks complicated but is easy and oh, so savory for these winter nights. We had it over brown rice (can also substitute potatoes). Plus there is always leftover wine that, gosh, you hate to throw away. grinning smiley

Beef B

Equipment: big pan, coupla bowls, tongs, colander, spatula.

1. 3 cups red wine of any kind (not rose, darker reds)
2. 2 coarsely chopped onions
3. 2 sliced carrots
4. Buncha fresh parsley, chopped
5. Few bay leaves
6. 2 tablespoons of chopped garlic
7. Tea/tablespoon of crushed black pepper
8. Salt
9. 2 lbs. beef cubes
10. 4 tablespoons olive oil
11. 1/4 lb. bacon
12. 3 tablespoons flour
13. 1 cup beef broth (bouillon cubes!)
14. 3-6 tablespoons tomato paste
15. 1/4 cup butter
16. 1 lb. sliced mushrooms

Overnight: marinate meat pieces, onion, and carrot in wine w/salt and pepper, tablespoon of garlic, some tomato paste, chopped parsley, and bay leaves in a big bowl. Next day: 1. smell this divine mixture and go "ahhhh!" 2. strain off meat and veggies w/colander; save the marinade.

1. Put a couple tablespoons of olive oil in large pan/Dutch oven and brown all beef pieces on all sides (picking them out from veggie-meat mixture w/tongs), using spatula to hustle them around. Put finished pieces in separate temporary storage container.
2. Fry bacon, add finished bacon to browned beef pieces.
3. Fry/saute onion and carrot in bacon grease and a small sploosh of reserved marinade, until soft.
4. Add flour to cooking veggies and stir gently till flour looks brown.
5. Add broth and reserved marinade to veggies in pan. Add (a tablespoon more) garlic and (a couple tablespoons more) tomato paste and reserved beef and bacon. Stir, bring to a boil. Soon as it boils, put in casserole dish with fitting lid and bake at 300 degrees for 1 and 1/2 hours. Make rice/boiled potatoes in the meantime.
6. Shortly before serving, saute mushrooms in 1/4 cup of melted butter; put mushroom-butter mix on top of beef-veggie mixture just before putting it on the table.

Ummmmmmm.

(slightly adapted from B. B. recipe in food writer Ruth Reichl's delightful autobiography "Tender at the Bone")
December 24, 2008
Oddly enough, that triple chocolate cookie recipe I posted is the one that led to my bannination at CFEZ eye rolling smiley. Apparently it's okay for people to recipe-post to me, but I can't do it back to them.

Does anyone like easy recipes? I try to compile them so I can eat more than Pop Tarts and pasta in my dorm. I have a couple of neat and easy recipes if anyone would like to have them.
December 25, 2008
COFFEE CHAI drinking coffee

4 cups breastmilk
1 tablespoon instant or freeze-dried coffee
1/4 cup brown sugar
3 cinnamon sticks
6 cardamom pods (available in spice section at most supermarkets)
1/8 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon allspice
4 cinnamon sticks (optional)

Directions: Combine all ingredients in a saucepan. Simmer, stirring to dissolve
sugar and instant coffee for five minutes over low heat. Don't let the mixture boil.
Let the mixture steep off the heat for 20-30 minutes. Pour through a clean sieve or strainer. Serve either hot or cold. Use optional cinnamon sticks as stirrers.

Serves 4 servings.

http://www.landmilkhoney.com/recipanr.htm
December 26, 2008
A local dish where i live

Lancashire Hotpot can be made in various ways.

It effectively is made from potatoes, onions, meat (of whatever kind
was available at the time) usually beef or lamb and a deep crust of
pastry.

This dish was made to fill up the hungry people when money was in short supply.

This can also be cooked either in the oven or started off in a pan
and then put into a dish once the crust has been made and finished off
in the oven.

Take some potatoes. If in UK. Maris Piper are wonderful. One or
two onions according to taste, and some meat (this can be diced and
browned with the onions before adding to the diced potatoes in
preferable an earthenware dish for authenticity.

Put all ingredients into the dish and cook slowly in the oven. Once
the meat is cooked through then add the crust this is made from:

Flour,
Margarine
An Egg and some milk and water.

Put flour in a bowl and mix in the margarine with a fork till well
mixed and looking like breadcrumbs. Then add the egg, milk and water
to make a paste (not too wet) turn out onto a floured board and
shape into a lid for the hotpot dish Bake till golden brown.

You can also include diced carrots and turnips (swede) if you wish.

There is a quick way to do this.

Cook the potatoes and onions in a pan with salt and pepper, when
cooked put into a dish add a tin of Steak stir into the potato
mixture and top with a crust.

If in UK. Casserole Steak is the best.

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
December 27, 2008
1 head cauliflower
2-3 cloves garlic, sliced thinly
1/4 onion chopped
2 Tbspns. olive oil or half olive oil, half butter

Remove leaves from cauliflower, separate into flowerets and steam or boil until crisp-tender.

Saute onions til light golden brown, add garlic, cook about 5 minutes more, add cauliflower, season to taste (I use salt and pepper) and saute until tender. This is really simple but really tasty and fairly quick to make.
December 27, 2008
Maybe I should distill all these recipes into a sticky bratfree recipe thread... hmmm. That bourgin..what recipe looks divine.
and heck, I gotta try the brownies.. my mom loves brownies

two cents ¢¢

CERTIFIED HOSEHEAD!!!

December 28, 2008
Southern Roast Beef (serves 2)
1 cup onions, chopped
2 Ib chuck arm roast
I can Campbell's cream of mushroom soup (undilited),
I cup water
(potatoes and carrots optional)

Brown roast in a frying pan on med-high heat until brown on all sides. May make slits with a knife and add 1 clove garlic, sliced and inserted into slits for gourmet taste. Place on top on onions in crock pot. Add cream of mushroom soup and 1 cup water. Cook for 8 to 10 hours.

lab mom
December 28, 2008
I read my mum's cookbooks and food magazines a lot when I'm home, and I find I love retrieving dessert recipes. Here's one for a cookies and cream cake:

Cookies ‘n’ Cream Cake

Ingredients:
• 1 package (about 18 ounces) white cake mix
• 1 package (4-serving size) white chocolate-flavored instant pudding and pie filling mix
• 1 cup vegetable oil
• 4 egg whites
• ½ cup milk
• 20 Oreos or other chocolate sandwich cookies, coarsely chopped
• ½ cup semisweet chocolate chips
• 1 teaspoon vegetable shortening
• 4 chocolate sandwich cookies, cut into quarters for garnish

What to do:
 Preheat oven to 350°. Spray 10-inch fluted tube pan with nonstick cooking spray.
 Beat cake mix, pudding mix, oil, egg whites and milk for 2 minutes in a large bowl with an electric mixer until ingredients are well-blended.
 Stir in chopped cookies and spread batter into prepared pan.
 Bake 50-60 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 1 hour in the pan on a wire rack.
 Invert cake onto serving plate and cool completely.

Chocolate glaze:
 Combine chocolate chips and shortening in glass measuring cup. Heat in the microwave on high for 1 minute. Stir.
 Continue heating at 15 second intervals, stirring, until melted and smooth.
 Drizzle glaze over cake and garnish with quartered cookies.
Anonymous User
December 29, 2008
kidlesskim
COFFEE CHAI drinking coffee

4 cups breastmilk

1 tablespoon instant or freeze-dried coffee

1/4 cup brown sugar

3 cinnamon sticks

6 cardamom pods (available in spice section at most supermarkets)

1/8 teaspoon grated nutmeg

1/8 teaspoon allspice

4 cinnamon sticks (optional)

http://www.landmilkhoney.com/recipanr.htm

doh face

two faces puking
December 30, 2008
Here's an easy and fun pita (actually not a PITA grinning smiley), one what you can stuff with everything from chicken and tuna salad to rice & beans, tabbouli, hummus & greens, or pita tacos:

3 cups tepid water;
1 packet yeast;
1 1/2 tablespoon salt;
6 1/2 cups flour (any kind, white or wheat)

1. Put yeast and salt in the water in bowl. Mix in flour with spoon till uniformly moist/more or less a big ball. No kneading needed. Cover with dishtowel & let rise 2 hours at room temp. Now you can bake it, or pop it in the fridge for a few hours later.

2. Preheat oven to 500, use baking stone (or 4 ungreased cookie sheets). Cut off 1/8 of the dough and with floured hands roll it into a ball and then roll it out with rolling pin on a lightly floured surface into a thin round 1/8 inch thick.

3. Put the 8 flattened rounds on baking stone/cookie sheets and bake for 5-7 minutes, as you hustle your planned, pre-prepared fillings from fridge to table. Bring hot & tasty fresh pitas in a dishtowel-envelope on a plate (to conserve wamth) to table with a flourish, modestly accept raves from DH. grinning smiley

Nice part: You can easily make the dough ahead of time and let it sit in the fridge for even a day or two, no harm. You can also use 1/2 of the dough for 4 pitas and make the rest later. Anyways, it's only minutes to roll 'em out for the treat of fresh bread--easy way to accumulate cooking cred with DH. grinning smiley

Edited to add: this is a good way to use up leftovers. I will be making some of these tonight and we have some leftover chicken barley veggie stew that I'll warm up & use to stuff 'em.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login