Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Afghan parents selling their sons to survive

Posted by mercurior 
December 22, 2008
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/afghanistan/3901941/Afghan-parents-selling-their-sons-to-survive.html

The trade in children is spurred by the battered country's economy and the failure of foreign aid to reach beyond the coffers of central government in the capital Kabul.

While girls are are rarely traded, boys can fetch substantial sums - at least in the eyes of the poor couples who give up a child simply to allow the rest of the family to survive.

A cameraman working for Channel 4 News, Mehran Bozorgnia, witnessed the sale of an eight-year-old boy, Qassem, to Sadiqa, a wealthy woman from Kabul, outside the northern city of Mazar-e-Sharif.

As the meeting began, the boy's father, Nek Mohammed, knew he only had a final few moments with his son. Sadiqa was business-like. "Kiss your father and mother goodbye now - it is time," she said, before handing over $1,500 (£1,000). Mr Mohammed began to weep.

The translator accompanying the cameraman said: "Sadiqa, this is wrong!"

"Yes you're right. It's cruel, " she replied, before claiming: "But I have two aims here. First, to give this boy a bright future and a good education. And second, to save their other children. The winter's coming and I've given them money so the children don't die of hunger."

Mr Mohammed said: "I sold a piece of my heart to stop my four other children dying of hunger. I don't have an elder son. I'm also sick.

"My kidney is failing. My body is in pain."

For Mr Mohammed, selling a child was the only way to keep his other children alive.

The plight of many Afghans is now so desperate that selling a child is increasingly routine. But there is another threat to the welfare of the young – and their parents.

Afghanistan's boom business is kidnapping. At least 180 documented abductions in the past seven months in Kabul alone. The going rate is around $50,000 (£34,000) to release the sons of the wealthy.

One kidnapper in Kabul who would speak openly about his trade said that he had no problem targeting the rich.

"We're not dealing with poor people," said the man, who claimed his name was Mateen Khan. "We are only going to kidnap people who have foreign money from all around the world and who have taken it for themselves.

"We are going to take their children. You see their six year olds sitting in the back seat of a Lexus - the latest models. People abroad couldn't afford these cars. So we kidnap these type of children to get the money off their families - the money they've stolen."

In a stable he showed off a teenage boy, who was blindfolded and bound and plainly terrified.

"We'll sell him or take his eyes out and bring him to the eye hospital and call his relatives. Or we'll sell him to the Taliban," said Mateen Khan.

Although he said his gang has no formal ties to the Taliban, his admission that he does business with them appeared to confirm speculation surrounding the Islamist group's involvement in the trade in children.

His threats were all made within earshot of the teenager, whose fate is unknown.

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
Re: Afghan parents selling their sons to survive
December 22, 2008
Wow, if they're selling boys, things must be bad. Usually, in such situations, it's the girls that get sold off.

"It truly is the one commonality that every designation of humans you can think of has, there's at least one asshole."
--Me
and NOT ONE of these goddamned charity groups would dare suggest that Mohammed or whatever the fuck his name is, get a GODDAMNED VASECTOMY so the children that are already there have enough to go around, this time next year, mama Mohammed is going to be knocked up again.

Another reason to hate charity.
December 22, 2008
Wow, mercurior...that's scary as hell. Not surprising though.

"Momma Muhammed"...teehehehe!
December 22, 2008
If that wealthy woman was a halfway decent and a charitable person, rather than a selfish whore, then she would have found the duddy a job on her property or something, contingent on one or both of them getting sterilized. I don't think that what that woman did was charitable in the least, in fact I think it was downright cruel, but then so is having kyd after kyd when you are well aware that they have a good chance of starving to death. However, this woman basically kidnapped their son with a voluntary ransom being a trade off of money to keep the other kyds alive. That was a pretty damned shitty thing to do. At least though, he won't die of starvation or be subjected to poverty. Then again, if that woman is raising him with those types of values, poverty might be in his best interest. Either way, you have a cruel bitch who wants a boy child for God only knows what selfish reasons, and a couple of idiots who continue to have kyds when they KNOW that they can't even feed them all. This boy doesn't have a snow ball's chance in hell. As for these people forcibly STEALING kyds, selling their body parts, selling them into slavery, etc......I would be willing to bet that when they go home at night that they have three or four little shitterlings chirping out in unison, "Duddys' home!". These people are all such cruel and selfish idiots, the whole lot of them on all sides of this shit.
December 23, 2008
yes, but its what jolie did, madonna did, buying humans..

its just filtered down to the less affluent now.

so rather than help the village so to speak, they help themselves.. give jobs to people make a true community.. and as more and more need for body harvesting more and more of these gangs will do it.

look at max headroom the tv series and films..scary stuff

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
December 23, 2008
Humans bring good profits but it is interesting that it is boys.
December 23, 2008
ih8breeders
and NOT ONE of these goddamned charity groups would dare suggest that Mohammed or whatever the fuck his name is, get a GODDAMNED VASECTOMY so the children that are already there have enough to go around, this time next year, mama Mohammed is going to be knocked up again.

Another reason to hate charity.

Our own government here in the States has forbade 'family planning groups' from suggesting abortion...lest the federal funding is cut off. I would not be surprised if certain forms of contraception or sterilization are also banned for discussion. What is pitiful is how our government would prefer people to suffer and live in squalor rather than be free of the burden of too many or any children. The religious right feels how every sexual encounter is to result in birth. My own feeling is how this is done by the RR so there is more control over the people. Easier to control a population who is starving. JMNSHO... lurking
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login