Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Teacher throttled by pupil

Posted by mercurior 
Teacher throttled by pupil
December 26, 2008
Victim of the 'can't touch' culture: Teacher throttled by pupil as colleagues looked on By Laura Clark
Last updated at 12:01 PM on 26th December 2008

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1101743/Victim-touch-culture-Teacher-throttled-pupil-colleagues-looked-on.html

Comments (29) Add to My Stories A teacher who won £250,000 compensation after a pupil tried to strangle him has criticised a 'can't touch' culture in schools after other staff initially refused to intervene.

Colin Adams, 50, was attacked by a 12- year- old boy, who knocked him to the floor before punching and kicking him, and grabbing his neck. But despite other teachers yelling at the boy to stop, no one stepped in to help.

Mr Adams's ordeal ended only after another teacher eventually came to his aid by forcing the boy's thumbs back to release his hold. Later, the unnamed teacher admitted to Mr Adams that he was afraid the boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons, would accuse him of assault.

Ordeal: Teacher Colin Adams, pictured here with wife Sharon, had to fight for compensation after being attacked at work
It later emerged the boy had a history of violence, having previously attacked pupils and a security guard at a library opposite Kingsford Community School in East London.
However, he was not properly disciplined over the assaults and staff were not warned about his past.

Mr Adams yesterday criticised Government-backed 'inclusion' policies, which he claimed had led to pupils with severe behavioural problems being taught in schools where staff are not trained to cope with them.

His comments come only days after figures released under the Freedom of Information Act revealed police were called to schools 10,000 times last year to deal with violent incidents.

More...Teachers banned from using 'confrontational' red ink in case it upsets children

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1101790/Teachers-banned-using-confrontational-red-ink-case-upsets-children.html

Mr Adams's attacker was expelled after the assault in 2004 and given a referral order by the courts, which involved him being supervised for six months.

It is rumoured he was sent on a holiday as 'a reward' for completing it.

As a result of the attack, which lasted for several minutes, Mr Adams, of Ockendon, Essex, was forced to give up work after suffering severe stress and back problems.

His distress was further compounded by a lengthy court battle to win compensation, charted by his wife Sharon, 47, in a diary she started after the assault.

Four-and-a-half years later, he secured £250,000 in an out-of-court settlement from Newham Council.

Writing in her diary, Mrs Adams said the boy had been misbehaving in another teacher's class and Mr Adams, as head of department, had gone to his aid. He ordered the boy to leave but the pupil refused.

Mr Adams then left the room and was attacked by the boy from behind.

She wrote: 'He came around to find the boy strangling him. The teachers told the boy to let go, but he did not.

'Teachers are very wary of touching children these days as children all know their rights and they can take a teacher to court.

'It only came to an end when a male teacher grabbed hold of one of the boy's thumbs and caused him pain and made the boy let go.

'This teacher didn't want to admit what he'd done for fear of being accused of assault.

'The police informed the school they could have kicked the boy in his back to make him let go, but I am not sure there is any teacher anywhere who would be willing to do that for fear of repercussions.'

Mr Adams, who has two grown-up children, added: 'The whole thing has left a bitter taste. We are trying our best to move forward but it's a slow process.'

A Newham Council spokesman said: 'Our staff have the right to work without fear of assault or harassment.

'In this particular case, an appropriate financial settlement was agreed following advice from our insurers, which was based on Mr Adams's loss of salary, future loss of earnings and damages for the injury he suffered.'

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
Re: Teacher throttled by pupil
December 26, 2008
Several years back at my old high school, the basketball coach intervened and physically broke up a fight between two 16-17 y/o male students. He ended up being suspended without pay for 30 days, but I am not quite sure what he was allegedly guilty of doing. Then I had an acquaintence who was a math teacher at a high school and two 16 y/o girls began physically fighting in the aisle between their desks and as she walked up to intervene, she caught a stray punch to the face and had to receive medical treatment for a broken nose and some other injuries. When she returned to school several days later, the girls were STILL in her class and had received no punishment. The teacher appealed their lack of punishment to the board of education, and they agreed with the original school principal's decision;

"... We have determined that Mrs. McCreedy was partially responsible for her own injuries in this case and that the injuries sustained by her were accidental in nature. She was unaware and ignorant of the two students' racial and ethnic background, so she inadvertantly was attempting to break up what she believed to be a physical altercation, when it was nothing more other than cultural horseplay. The two students who were involved have expressed remorse at the teacher's accidental injury and the board hereby finds that to be a satisfactory resolution......"
Anonymous User
December 26, 2008
mercurior
It is rumoured he was sent on a holiday as 'a reward' for completing it.

As a result of the attack, which lasted for several minutes, Mr Adams, of Ockendon, Essex, was forced to give up work after suffering severe stress and back problems.

His distress was further compounded by a lengthy court battle to win compensation, charted by his wife Sharon, 47, in a diary she started after the assault.

Four-and-a-half years later, he secured £250,000 in an out-of-court settlement from Newham Council.

A holiday, huh? "Joey, have you ever been in a Turkish prison?"

Also, the compensation isn't nearly enough. And the brat's handlers should be paying it.
December 27, 2008
This is disgraceful. As far as I am concerned, kyds HAVE NO RIGHTS. They need to shut the fuck up, sit down, do as they are told. If I had attacked a teacher in that way, my parents would have beaten the shit out of me--and I would have deserved it, WTF is with this "kyds all know their rights shit?!
December 27, 2008
We in the US are looking at our future by watching Britain. Sorry brits, but I think you are lost. France and the rest of Europe will not be far behind. And you will lose it to the breeder diaperheads and thence, any reproductive choices. The diaperheads WILL beat you because by the time they make their move, the population will be so cowed by their own gubmint, liberal goody two shoes, and those who hate the west more than they hate the diaperheads; you will have NO resolve and NO means to fight back. Some of the 'anti' Islam sites I've seen have come to this conclusion. The only debate is whether or not Europe will fight back. I regret the loss of a culture that produced more riches (not necessarily material), spirit, and progress then any of these shit for brains dickhead muslim countries. I have come to the belief that muslim culture NEVER discovered anything, NEVER achieved anything. What passes for so-called muslim discoveries and 'advanced civilization' was what they stole and looted from the civilizations they destroyed.

BTW, I am waiting for a case where it will become illegal to lock doors and windows because thieves (who were these fucktard children in these undisciplined mires laughingly called 'screw y'alls') might injure themselves.

two cents ¢¢

CERTIFIED HOSEHEAD!!!

people (especially women) do not give ONE DAMN about what they inflict on children and I defy anyone to prove me wrong

Dysfunctional relationships almost always have a child. The more dysfunctional, the more children.

The selfish wants of adults outweigh the needs of the child.

Some mistakes cannot be fixed, but some mistakes can be 'fixed'.

People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one. Leo J. Burke

Adoption agencies have strict criteria (usually). Breeders, whose combined IQ's would barely hit triple digits, have none.
December 27, 2008
Teachers need to be given their power back, because too many breeders aren't disciplining their spawn. Some brats, like the one in the original post, need external motivation (i.e. the threat of a beating) to behave and not act like an ass.

Here's a school district that doesn't fuck around:

North Texas school district will let teachers carry guns

Associated Press
Aug. 15, 2008, 4:27PM

HARROLD, Texas — A tiny Texas school district may be the first in the nation to allow teachers and staff to pack guns for protection when classes begin later this month, a newspaper reported.

Trustees at the Harrold Independent School District approved a district policy change last October so employees can carry concealed firearms to deter and protect against school shootings, provided the gun-toting teachers follow certain requirements.

In order for teachers and staff to carry a pistol, they must have a Texas license to carry a concealed handgun; must be authorized to carry by the district; must receive training in crisis management and hostile situations and have to use ammunition that is designed to minimize the risk of ricochet in school halls.

Superintendent David Thweatt said the small community is a 30-minute drive from the sheriff's office, leaving students and teachers without protection. He said the district's lone campus sits 500 feet from heavily trafficked U.S. 287, which could make it a target.

"When the federal government started making schools gun-free zones, that's when all of these shootings started. Why would you put it out there that a group of people can't defend themselves? That's like saying 'sic 'em' to a dog," Thweatt said in Friday's online edition of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

Thweatt said officials researched the policy and considered other options for about a year before approving the policy change. He said the district also has various other security measures in place to prevent a school shooting.

"The naysayers think (a shooting) won't happen here. If something were to happen here, I'd much rather be calling a parent to tell them that their child is OK because we were able to protect them," Thweatt said.

Texas law outlaws firearms on school campuses "unless pursuant to the written regulations or written authorization of the institution."

It was unclear how many of the 50 or so teachers and staff members will be armed this fall because Thweatt did not disclose that information, to keep it from students or potential attackers. Wilbarger County Sheriff Larry Lee was out of the office Thursday and did not immediately return a phone call seeking comment, the newspaper said.

Barbara Williams, a spokeswoman for the Texas Association of School Boards, said her organization did not know of another district with such a policy. Ken Trump, a Cleveland-based school security expert who advises districts nationwide, including in Texas, said Harrold is the first district with such a policy.

The 110-student district is 150 miles northwest of Fort Worth on the eastern end of Wilbarger County, near the Oklahoma border.
December 27, 2008
Aside from my original digressive rant, yes. The biggest problems are the kids, because they rule everything. including their idiot parunts who'll back them on everything.

two cents ¢¢

CERTIFIED HOSEHEAD!!!

people (especially women) do not give ONE DAMN about what they inflict on children and I defy anyone to prove me wrong

Dysfunctional relationships almost always have a child. The more dysfunctional, the more children.

Adoption agencies have strict criteria (usually). Breeders, whose combined IQ's would barely hit triple digits, have none.
December 28, 2008
http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/news/article-1075809/No-barbed-wire--hurt-thieves-allotment-holders-told.html

already been done

'They shouldn't be trespassing in the first place but the council apologised and said they didn't want to be sued by a wounded thief.

'I told them to let the thief sue me so at least that way I would know who was breaking into my allotment but everything I said fell on deaf ears. It seems as though they are so wrapped up in red tape, they are unable to help me.'

Mr Malcolm said he had been robbed three times since June, along with around 16 of the 50 allotment keepers on the site.

*********************************************************************************************************************************

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
December 28, 2008
I stand by my conclusion: Britain is lost. And this will be the underlying reason no one will fight back. Same thing as prevented the other teachers from helping.
Question now: is this mentality being cultivated deliberately.

two cents ¢¢

CERTIFIED HOSEHEAD!!!

December 28, 2008
Twocents - a few years ago I would have called you a conspiracy theorist and a pessimist, but nowadays I am right there with you.
December 29, 2008
yes twocents.. read 1984, newspeak, ministry of thoughts..theres nothing better to the government(of whatever party or whatever country), of a mindless drone population.

December 29, 2008
And it is only getting worse...

two cents ¢¢

CERTIFIED HOSEHEAD!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login