Advanced

Toilet Seat Mishaps on the Rise for Little Boys

Posted by kidlesskim 
Toilet Seat Mishaps on the Rise for Little Boys
December 29, 2008
Heavy toilet seats can be a danger to little boys
Wooden toilet seats' popularity may lead to rise in 'crush' injuries, doc says

updated 4:40 p.m. ET, Fri., Dec. 26, 2008
Parents of newly toilet-trained boys should take a few simple steps to keep their sons' penises safe when they go to the bathroom, a team of UK urologists advises.

There's evidence that crush injuries due to falling toilet seats may be on the rise, Dr. Joe Philip of Leighton Hospital in Crewe in England and colleagues warn in a letter in BJU (British Journal of Urology) International.

While he and his colleagues typically see just one or two such cases a year, if any, Philip told Reuters Health, they treated four different 2- to 4-year-old boys with penile crush injuries in the past several months.

"Thankfully all of the four had only the foreskin swelling, but obviously there's a lot of anxiety for the parents and the kids," Philip said. All of the boys were kept in the hospital overnight until they were able to urinate, but none of them suffered lasting physical damage, he added.

In each case, the youngster was trying to urinate on his own and had lifted the toilet seat, only to have it fall back down. An industry report states that wooden toilet seats are becoming more popular as a possible explanation for the increase in injuries.

Philip and his colleagues offer the following tips to help families of young boys prevent these injuries from happening:

Install "soft fall" toilet seats in every bathroom in the home, and ban heavy toilet seats made of wood or ceramic from homes with young boys.
Leave the toilet seat up at all times, until all of the boys in the household can hold the seat up on their own.
Supervise children every time they visit the bathroom.

shrug Okay, I don't have a penis so I can't possibly understand. So, I asked my husband and he laughed and said, "No, I was not an idiot child",. To begin with, if a boy is getting his penis "crushed" by a toilet seat or lid, then wouldn't he have to actually just be laying it on the rim of the bowl? If so, then he is TOO small to be using an adult sized toilet without supervision and these parents need to back off and give the boy a kiddie potty. He can be "potty trained" and still use a kiddie potty chair can't he? I agree with the docs' advice that a "soft fall" seat would be good and I certainly think that the kyds anywhere near potty training age need toilet supervision. HOWEVER, it is a STUPID idea to allow a boy to be potty trained and not also teach him to put the damned seat lid down, like this "tip" from the doctors advise. Not having a penis, I hate to say this, but isn't it a bit stupid for a boy to lay his dick on a toilet rim? Most of these boys don't get potty trained until they are 3-4 and older, wouldn't they be tall enough and smart enough to keep their OWN dicks out of harm's way? I thought that this was something that men just always "knew". I suppose that all of this molly coddling of little boys by their moomies with the breastfeeding until they are school age, co-sleeping, not letting them ever cry or want for anything, has turned them into little sissified dummies, or something.

God help society when these boys who can't protect their own dicks, become men.doh face
Re: Toilet Seat Mishaps on the Rise for Little Boys
December 29, 2008
So... They have only treated four cases in several months and people felt this was newsworthy? WTF? I guess they'll find ANYTHING relating to children to report about. eye rolling smiley
December 29, 2008
They talked about this on Fark about a week and a half ago. I mean, there's a lip there already- how bad can it be? I'll have to check this with the old man when i get home.
December 29, 2008
They can also stand on a step-stool, which they would have to do anyway to get up there and take a dump. And, this applies to girls as well, for a change.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"I have learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is easy and fun as hell"

:eatu
December 29, 2008
kidlesskim

I suppose that all of this molly coddling of little boys by their moomies with the breastfeeding until they are school age, co-sleeping, not letting them ever cry or want for anything, has turned them into little sissified dummies, or something.

God help society when these boys who can't protect their own dicks, become men.doh face

Kim makes a very good point here--we now have a generation of babified sissies, both male and female, and it only seems to be getting worse. DH often has to deal with employees at the plant that don't have the first clue as to how to use a crescent wrench or locking pliers. I'm not suggesting that every American know how to tear down and rebuild a car engine, but as a society people have become collectively lazy. Most don't even do simple things like change their own oil or handle even the simplest of car maintenance. Many adults have no idea how to do routine maintenance on their homes either, and have NO interest in learning, giving the excuse that they'll just hire someone to fix it. This learned helplessness has rubbed off on their kids as well, as there is this perception that manual labor is somehow beneath all of them.

But rest assured, they ALL know how to use a cellphone.
December 29, 2008
If the kid is too stupid to put the seat and lid ALL THE WAY UP then they deserve an injury, I'll bet next time they'll make sure it's all the way up. Hopefully the stupid ones will be rendered sterile after their injury.
December 29, 2008
Yeah, KFLL said what I was thinking...maybe it'll teach him not to do that next time. I find it hard to believe any mom would drag her kid to a DOCTOR about it--why? It's just a bruise or a thump--likely hurts a lot but doesn't seem serious to me. Buy a "soft-fall" toilet seat? Are they serious? Why not just wrap the kid in bubble wrap for the rest of his life? There's also something in this story about protecting her golden boy-sire's magical generative organ, for the next generation of kids, that makes me queasy.
December 29, 2008
OUCH!!!

two cents ΒΆΒΆ

CERTIFIED HOSEHEAD!!!

people (especially women) do not give ONE DAMN about what they inflict on children and I defy anyone to prove me wrong

Dysfunctional relationships almost always have a child. The more dysfunctional, the more children.

The selfish wants of adults outweigh the needs of the child.

Some mistakes cannot be fixed, but some mistakes can be 'fixed'.

People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one. Leo J. Burke

Adoption agencies have strict criteria (usually). Breeders, whose combined IQ's would barely hit triple digits, have none.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login