Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

a question? characters in tv shows that dont have kids

Posted by mercurior 
a question? characters in tv shows that dont have kids
January 11, 2009
i had an idea, i know i have mentioned detectives without children, but how many characters from tv series can you name that dont have kids.

charlie from two and a half men
the ropers from george and mildred (uk),
norm from cheers
samantha from sex in the city.

just wondering how many can we all think of.

hart to hart
columbo
sherlock holmes
miss marple
hercule poirot

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
Re: a question? characters in tv shows that dont have kids
January 11, 2009
The "Seinfeld" characters were all CF. Furthermore, that show is IMHO a good one for CF people because it frequently portrayed kyds negatively. I can think of many episodes where kyds were show as brats or otherwise treated badly by the major characters (Jerry, George, Elaine, and Kramer).

A few quick examples:

Jerry curses out a kyd who ruins a cassette tape of his stand-up act.

George tosses kyds aside while he escapes from a kitchen fire.

Elaine babysits a kyd who dumps juice into her pocketbook.

Kramer beats up kyds in a karate class.

Then there was that ugly ("breathtaking") kyd at the friends who had the home in the Hamptons.
There is that obnoxious "bubble boy" who asks George's G/F Susan to take off her top.
January 11, 2009
Bob and Emily Hartley from the original Bob Newhart show. I guess at one point the writers wanted Bob and Emily to have kids, but Bob wouldn't allow it. I'll have to search for the clip where the late, great Suzanne Pleshette discussed that.
Also, Bob Newhart's next series, "Newhart" (the one set in a Vermont inn). He and his wife (played by Mary Frann) remained blessedly childfree throughout the series. In fact, NO characters on that series had children, until Stephanie did in the last season. A real joy to watch!

And, amazingly for the baby-loving 1950s, the series "Topper" didn't have children as regulars either. Okay, Mr. and Mrs. Topper were probably past breeding age, but clearly they had always been childfree. And, okay, the ghostly couple were dead, but they had been married five years before their death and remained fun-loving--BECAUSE they were childfree. Even back then, writers knew: for interesting stories, keep the kids away!
January 11, 2009
Well, CF cognitive science-psychologist-linguistics dude Stephen Pinker was on the Colbert Report once, if that counts.

Hm, most of the guys on "WKRP in Cincinnati" didn't have kids, with the exception of Herb, to my recollection.
January 11, 2009
Dr. Gregory House
Everyone on the original CSI except Willows, and her child is constantly portrayed as a liability to her career.

Monk. Hates, fears, is repulsed by kyds.

Det. Benson on Law and Order: SVU. Says she doesn't want kids because she's afraid of repeating her alcoholic mother's mistakes.

Carrie and Big on Sex and the City.

Frickin' DR WHO! Technically, he's mentioned children in previous incarnations, but it's brought up extremely rarely and his children are long dead and gone.
How about The Big Man himself?

Captain Jean Luc Picard.

In fact lots of the Star Trek crews from all the shows were CF.

Of course Kirk was a duhdy - he was never around for his son, too busy chasing anything remotely sexually compatible.
January 12, 2009
Konkurrent
How about The Big Man himself?

Captain Jean Luc Picard.

In fact lots of the Star Trek crews from all the shows were CF.

Of course Kirk was a duhdy - he was never around for his son, too busy chasing anything remotely sexually compatible.

YES. THIS. Picard is my God. :inw
January 12, 2009
Nobody hit me if I say Spongebob. grinning smiley
January 12, 2009
Gladys and Abner Kravitz, Cousin Sabrina, Dr Bombay, Ezmarelda, Aunt Clara, and Uncle Arthur, from Bewitched. Aunt Bea, Barney, Clara, Helen Crump, Otis and his wife, Howard Sprague, Thelma Lou, Goober,Gomer. Emmet who owned the fix it shop and his wife, and old man Mr Weaver who owned the dept store, from The Andy Griffith show. Sgt Joe Friday from Dragnet. Alice and Sam from The Brady Bunch. The Baldwin sisters from The Waltons. All of the angels on Charlie's Angels, although they gave the impression that they would sprog if they got married. Steve Austin from The Six Million Dollar Man and Jamie from The Bionic Woman. Mr Bentley and Florence from The Jeffersons. A bunch of characters on CSI, Law and Order, The Practice, Raising the Bar and other similar shows. Like has been mentioned there's Seinfield and Cheers, and up until they had little Grace or Mildred, or whatever the kyd's name was, Mad About You USED to be a good childfree show. NOTHING ruins a good sitcom more than when they write in a pregnancy for a main character.
January 12, 2009
its interesting how the shows have changed, from children not being mentioned, to being a breederfest.

mad about you is a case in point, it was good, then died after the kid was sprogged

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
January 12, 2009
(throws a Nerf brick at Cambion) boink! bouncing and laughing
Robert Barone (Everybody Loves Raymond) Capt. Don Cragen (Law and Orderconfused smileyVU), George and Martha Wilson (Dennis the Menace) and Mr. and Mrs. Milburn Drysdale (Beverly Hilbillies) didn't have children.
I'm not a huge Sex and the City addict, so I could be wrong, but Carrie was more CL if you ask me. She was single so in theory, she shouldn't be sprogging by herself unless her BC fails like her stupid friend.

With most of these shows, I think was really should only count married and divorced people, (at least w/ the Classic shows) because who knows if they would remain CF if they found Mr/Ms Right and then take the plunge, unless they verbalized something about it. If we count everyone unmarried, then the whole (younger) cast of that 70's Show 'cept Michael was CF and Michael's was an accident, and a boring story line, so I stopped watching. Niles and Maras were CF, but not Niles and Daphane in Frasier. Also, a very boring story line. Puke.

I also noticed that all the Seinfeld members seem to be only children as they never deal w/ siblings at family events. Just an observation.
BTW the Drysdales did have an adult child, see the first year of Hillbillies. Here is a synopsis below of "Ellies first date"

Elly May is set up with Sonny Drysdale, who is at first unsure about it until he sees her by the pool. At the mansion, Elly is learning about courting and sparking. When they meet, the date ends very soon, after Sonny tries to kiss Elly’s hand, but she thinks he is trying to bite her. He runs away to his mother, and the Clampetts visit to make peace. At the end, the Drysdales join the Clampetts for Thanksgiving supper.

they actor is now in Curb Your Enthusiam.
CF Uter
I'm not a huge Sex and the City addict, so I could be wrong, but Carrie was more CL if you ask me. She was single so in theory, she shouldn't be sprogging by herself unless her BC fails like her stupid friend.

By the time the movie came along, Carrie had been with Big for five years continuously. If they'd wanted kids, they would've had them. Plus, when Sarah Jessica Parker got pregnant, the show made every effort to hide her pregnancy and released statements separating Parker from her character, saying something like "Sarah Jessica Parker is having a baby. Carrie Bradshaw is having another cocktail." The show's creators refused to write Parker's pregnancy into the storyline because it didn't fit the character.

Personally, I liked Samantha much better, because there was absolutely no question about her CF status.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login