Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Calf vs calf, now with attempted vehicular manslaughter!

Posted by Anonymous User 
From the Wichita Eagle.

A 2-year-old boy is in critical condition at Wesley Medical Center after being struck by a vehicle in northeast Wichita this afternoon.

Sgt. Brad Agnew said the accident occurred about 3:45 p.m. in the 1900 block of North Lorraine.

The vehicle was parked in a driveway when another child, age 3, got into it and knocked the gear shift into neutral. Because the driveway was on a steep slope, the car rolled backwards, striking the 2-year-old.

Agnew said no adults were outside at the time of the accident. Though the incident is still under investigation, no one was taken into custody, he said.

The 2-year-old was admitted to Wesley in serious condition. His status was changed to "very critical" Sunday evening, a nursing supervisor said.

Is anyone surprised that there were no adults present? I checked a map; the general neighborhood the incident took place in is very well-to-do, so it's not like the adults could claim they can't afford a babysitter.

Who wants to bet the vehicle was an S-Moo-V?
Re: Calf vs calf, now with attempted vehicular manslaughter!
January 12, 2009
There is no excuse for this type of thing to happen. Cars should be locked, keys should be out of reach, and toddlers should be supervised at all times. WHERE was either of these kyds moomies, duddies, or baybeesitters? Whoever wasn't paying attention or watching EITHER kyd and, whoever carelessly left the car easily accessible should be prosecuted.
January 12, 2009
Seconding KK, and adding...weren't these kids taught to keep HANDS OFF the vehicles? If I'd have pulled this stunt with my mom or dad's car growing up I wouldn't be typing now I daresay.
January 12, 2009
I wonder what kind of spin the parents are putting on this?
January 12, 2009
Rose Red
I wonder what kind of spin the parents are putting on this?

I'd venture to guess...
"I thought they were with the other parent"
"We're just soooo busy, they got away from us"
"We can't afford a babysitter, our house is in foreclosure. I can only get one manicure a month now"

I'd guess the truth is... "You kids play outside while mommy drinks her medicine"

"It truly is the one commonality that every designation of humans you can think of has, there's at least one asshole."
--Me
January 12, 2009
LOL:drkbddy
I remember playing in vehicles when I was a kid (particularly my grandpa's boat, which was on the trailer and not going anywhere regardless of what we might do).

I also remember getting the bejesus scared out of me by my terrified parents the one and only time I managed to combine playing with mommy's keys and playing in the car. I didn't even get the key in the ignition though - my parents loved me. Sure, I could duck dad's radar but mom... mom was supernatural. I bet right now I'd get a phone call from her before I could get a fork 3 feet from the electrical socket and she's two states away.

It's so simple. Keep a manual transmission car locked all the time. Keep the parking brake on whenever it's parked. (But since you don't need a key to release the parking brake or shift a manual transmission into neutral, thereby allowing it to roll, keep the damn thing locked. Mischievous teens could roll your car into a ditch or something, anyway.)

If you've got an automatic, like a lot of parents since it frees one hand to fish for pacifiers and such, keep it in park and don't give the keys to the kids. Standard safety interlocks keep the transmission from being shifted out of park without the key being turned and often the brake being pressed. And of course any vaguely competent parent is aware of whether or not those interlocks are working properly (they actually don't on my car but I don't care because children aren't allowed near it.)

Cars are more dangerous than guns. You don't let kids play with a loaded gun...

Actually, there's an idea...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login