Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Go ahead and give in because it's a "primal urge"

Posted by Seacreature 
Go ahead and give in because it's a "primal urge"
January 12, 2009
Hey ya'll... I finally had a chance to catch up on some advice columns. Here's a lovely one for you to pick on:

DEAR MARGO: I have been married to my husband for two years, and we have been together for seven. My husband is almost four years younger than I am. When we met, he was adamant that he did not want a child of his own, ever. I have two teenagers from a prior relationship. I asked him more than once if he was sure, because I would rather have a child sooner than later. He assured me: no children. Now that I am 35 and have almost raised my children, he has decided that he really does want a child of his own. I am afraid if I do not give in he will resent me later. I have been a mom since I was 18 years old, and I was looking forward to some time for me. What do I do?

--- THOUGHT I WAS DONE

DEAR THOUGHT: There are two conflicting desires here that will require a great deal of thought and discussion. I am sympathetic to your position, as I think many women will be, and find it totally defensible. While today's fathers are much more involved than the previous generation, raising kids winds up the primary responsibility of the mother (in a two-parent household). Your husband's change of heart is not that unusual. The thing is, while such men can be reminded of their earlier declaration, when they change their minds, there is almost a primal longing that comes over them. It can become a source of friction. (Do not ask me how I know this.) I think that if you decide this man is your heart's desire and he seems determined (and you are certainly young enough to belt out another child), then perhaps you can negotiate things so that you somehow maintain some time for yourself, whether it's his pitching in or hiring a helper. As a woman, I can tell you this will not be an easy decision. Good luck.

Yes, at 35 you're certainly young enough to "belt out another child". How nice. Uh-huh, negotiate with him. That oughta last 'til the new one's about 2 or 3. Maybe. You think? Great advice, breeder pleaser Margo.
Any relationship that needs a kid in it is really a relationshit. When will people realize this?
Re: Go ahead and give in because it's a "primal urge"
January 12, 2009
This doesn't sound promising. She had her first kid as a teenager. The marriage, if she was married, apparently fell apart. She met someone who is a flip-floppy flibbertigibbet about the single most far-reaching and expensive life decision. Sounds great. Good luck to her...
January 12, 2009
Yep, because she is going to need all the luck she can get. If she doesn't want more kids, she should just make it clear she doesn't by getting her tubes tiedl Too bad if the may-unn doesn't like it...he'll be the one sitting on his ass, doing nothingl.
January 13, 2009
That is why I do not want to be in a relationship or marriage, ever.

The so-called "Prince Charming" may suddenly want kyds right out of the blue or even "oops" me!yawning smiley
Yeah, just go ahead and unthinkingly 'belt out' another little resource sucker!

Shit-for-brains "Margo" has NO understanding or sympathy for the letter-writer's point of view, It's all about breedin' and pleasin' the almighty may-unn.

Fuck Margo.

(No, not literally, as she'd likely 'belt one out' for the team).
January 13, 2009
could he have accepted because of her nagging at him for a kid, over and over and over. you only hear from one side,

i know if i was with someone who nagged me over and over and over i want a kid are you sure you dont want one. eventually i would have given up and said yes go on.. i wouldnt have meant it, but just for her to shut up nagging me.

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
January 13, 2009
Does not sound good. I wish Margo had a little more starch in her shorts. It's not "difficult", it's virtually impossible.
This whole thing is about validation. Validate me as a person by marrying me. Validate me as a person by procreation.

Please, please, won't someone make me feel important?

For fuck's sake, it's called SELF-esteem for a reason! No amount of dating, marrying, or breeding is going to make you feel good about yourself if you don't feel good about yourself. You don't get self-esteem from other people.

How many 300lb moos do you see at Walmart on a given day with three "free-range" fuck trophies orbiting her planetary mass? "No really, despite all evidence to the contrary someone once found me attractive enough to have sex with me!"

Yeah, cause the male of the species is ever so discriminating in their selection of sexual partners...

If you feel like you need children to "complete your life" your children need you to not have children.
Um, she should totally change her mind, because he did. I don't bloody think so.

If I was her, I'd be telling him to suck it up and stick by the decision he made, because she's done. 35 with 2 teens, I'd be done too.
January 13, 2009
Hang on.

They've been together seven years -- since she was 28ish and he was 24ish, maybe 23ish. Seven years and a pair of wedding bands later, the honeymoon is over. He's itchy.

Apologies if I offend any of our CF fellas on the board, but perhaps you can confirm a cynical suspicion I'm having. After claiming for several years not to be interested in children, he 'suddenly' is? I think the only thing hubby 'suddenly' decided is not that he loves kiddies but that he is bored with his missus. He doesn't know what to do with her, but has settled on trying to put her into cow pasture. Find some use for her. Keep her busy. "Make one of ME, honey." What do you think? Two years down the road, and the squalling infant and flabby lactating breasts at home drive him to -- oh just let me guess! -- start banging the hot 27 year old next door? I think he's trying to set himself up so he can use the friction and unpleasantness that fatherhood entails to back out of his situation because he has the seven-year-itch.

- - - - - - - -
"The death of creativity is a pram in the hallway"
- Cyril Connolly
January 13, 2009
This has 'I gotta make sure my dick works' written all over it. (To alter a previous phrase I typed in another thread.)
She has no promise that once the sacred sprogg emerges, he won't disappear and never be around his f'-trophy.
We also snarked something like this earlier, from TMC, wasn't it?
"You wanted and whined and whined and whined about waaaanting a child. I gave you one and now you never come home. F*** you, I'm packed and ready to go. You come home I am out the door and you can keep the friggen kid."
trainwreck

two cents ¢¢

CERTIFIED HOSEHEAD!!!

people (especially women) do not give ONE DAMN about what they inflict on children and I defy anyone to prove me wrong

Dysfunctional relationships almost always have a child. The more dysfunctional, the more children.

The selfish wants of adults outweigh the needs of the child.

Some mistakes cannot be fixed, but some mistakes can be 'fixed'.

People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one. Leo J. Burke

Adoption agencies have strict criteria (usually). Breeders, whose combined IQ's would barely hit triple digits, have none.
Amethyst
Hang on.

They've been together seven years -- since she was 28ish and he was 24ish, maybe 23ish. Seven years and a pair of wedding bands later, the honeymoon is over. He's itchy.

Apologies if I offend any of our CF fellas on the board, but perhaps you can confirm a cynical suspicion I'm having. After claiming for several years not to be interested in children, he 'suddenly' is? I think the only thing hubby 'suddenly' decided is not that he loves kiddies but that he is bored with his missus. He doesn't know what to do with her, but has settled on trying to put her into cow pasture. Find some use for her. Keep her busy. "Make one of ME, honey." What do you think? Two years down the road, and the squalling infant and flabby lactating breasts at home drive him to -- oh just let me guess! -- start banging the hot 27 year old next door? I think he's trying to set himself up so he can use the friction and unpleasantness that fatherhood entails to back out of his situation because he has the seven-year-itch.

I dunno. Of course I don't want a brat, but it's far less likely that a man would look for a kyd as a "fix" for a bad marriage.

The more masculine viewpoint would tend to be "thank god we don't have any kids... I can cut and run more easily this way." If he's getting bored the lack of biological kids makes him freer to get what he wants.
Nope, sounds to me like early onset mid life crisis. As in, ZOMG, I iz getting old, better make a mini-me to carry on the DNA and all that crap.

I'm with Konkurrent - if he was gonna bail, then he'd be a shitload better off doing it before child support kicked in.

Better believe it, guys get baby rabies as bad as and worse than women.
January 13, 2009
to me it sounds like she nagged him to change his mind, and he is agreeing just to shut her up

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
One other thing: it's not fair to give a kid a job right out of the womb. I don't want kids, I don't like kids or parents and I know that.:sbx
January 13, 2009
"relationshit" Heh. I likie. I likie verr' muuch.
January 14, 2009
Another vote for konkurrent's POV.
January 14, 2009
Catabat
Nope, sounds to me like early onset mid life crisis. As in, ZOMG, I iz getting old, better make a mini-me to carry on the DNA and all that crap.

I'm with Konkurrent - if he was gonna bail, then he'd be a shitload better off doing it before child support kicked in.

Better believe it, guys get baby rabies as bad as and worse than women.

I agree.

"It truly is the one commonality that every designation of humans you can think of has, there's at least one asshole."
--Me
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login