Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Breeder Grocery Shopping

Posted by Theresa 
Re: Breeder Grocery Shopping
January 17, 2009
One of our assignments when I was working on my Bachelor of Science degree in Nutrition was to create a one-pot meal that had an average cost of less than 75 cents per serving, but still had the Recommended Dietary Allowances of essential vitamins and minerals such as Vitamin C, Vitamin A, iron, etc. AND could be prepared in under 30 minutes.

Wow! What a great and practical and fun (and challenging!) assignment! Can I take a stab at what some of the dishes were?

1. Pot of vegetable soup with carrots, rice, broccoli/spinach, cabbage.
2. One-pan stirfry of mixed carrots, cabbage, broccoli with one thawed, sliced frozen chicken breast from bulk pack of breasts.
3. Vegetable quiche, light on the (pushing 75 cents) eggs.
4. Mixed fresh cut-up carrot, potato, onion drizzled with olive oil, dusted with herbs, roasted on cookie sheet...num!
5. Baked potato with cooked mixed veggies on top.

I'd love to know what some of the real dishes were!
January 17, 2009
clematis
One of our assignments when I was working on my Bachelor of Science degree in Nutrition was to create a one-pot meal that had an average cost of less than 75 cents per serving, but still had the Recommended Dietary Allowances of essential vitamins and minerals such as Vitamin C, Vitamin A, iron, etc. AND could be prepared in under 30 minutes.

Wow! What a great and practical and fun (and challenging!) assignment! Can I take a stab at what some of the dishes were?

1. Pot of vegetable soup with carrots, rice, broccoli/spinach, cabbage.
2. One-pan stirfry of mixed carrots, cabbage, broccoli with one thawed, sliced frozen chicken breast from bulk pack of breasts.
3. Vegetable quiche, light on the (pushing 75 cents) eggs.
4. Mixed fresh cut-up carrot, potato, onion drizzled with olive oil, dusted with herbs, roasted on cookie sheet...num!
5. Baked potato with cooked mixed veggies on top.

I'd love to know what some of the real dishes were!

I'd like to know what they are too! What kills me about these welfare moocows who buy the junk food. are obese as well as their kyds are fat, then they blame it on not being able to afford nutritional food but when THAT lie is busted, they claim that because they grew up poor, they never learned how to cook properly. One time when I combatted THAT lie by saying that they can read labels and figure it out, THEN I was told that many poor people didn't know what a calorie was or even how many that they should even have in a day. You just can't win for losing with these die hard bleeding heart liberal do gooders. Anyway, not being one to give up easily, I said then why can't they ONLY eat food that is as close to it's original form as possible. I mean SURELY they know that whole kernal corn comes off of a cob and a corn CHIP does not, right? SURELY they know that a chicken has a leg, but doesn't have "fingers" or square little body parts, right? If the shit wasn't in The Garden of Eden, then DO NOT eat it! I don't know how it can get any easier than that.

They may be poor, but they generally go to church. So, I don't understand why they can't ask themselves, "Did God make a Nestles Crunch bar? Did God make frozen pizzas? Did God make a Dairy Queen Blizzard? If GOD didn't make it, then don't fucking eat it, the end. I thought it was an EXCELLENT and easy to understand idea and I was completely serious. Then they attacked me from a religious angle and said that I was being sacriligious. I just don't get it, I suppose. They have nutrition guides at the welfare office and social workers who can assist them, free medical care where they are free to ask for healthy diet lists and charts (which ALL doctors have), and then there is ENDLESS info on the internet, which they of course can all afford. I guess it's easier to eat themselves into oblivian and blame it on their upbringing, society, or anything or anyone else except for where the blame actually belongs, which is of course on them.
Anonymous User
January 17, 2009
The wife and I spend quite a bit more than we actually need to on food, mostly because we find it far more relaxing to shop without obsessing over prices or whatever. We buy based primarily on what we like and what is the best quality for the price.

But we eat a fair amount of "luxury" foods like crab, higher-end steak, and so forth. We're THINKERs so it's not like we can't afford it. We're frugal in many categories so that we can be more frivolous in others. (Like we live in a small, very inexpensive apartment but fill it up with nice electronics. And just in case any unscrupulous people were to get the wrong ideas, the other thing we tend to buy more than we need of is guns.)

The main thing, in my experience, that will allow you to eat exceptionally well from your palate's point of view is to learn to cook. If you eat out every meal or buy nothing but "open and heat" food packages you're going to spend a fortune and get abysmal nutrition.

One of my favorite foods is broccoli cheese soup. Get a couple cans of cheese soup, a can of cream of mushroom soup and a bag of chopped broccoli (if you want to go quick... chopping your own fresh broccoli is better but takes awhile). On top of that you'll want some nice melting cheeses (perhaps half a pound) and some ham (quarter pound).

It's as simple as combining all that in a big pot and heating it up. I like to puree the cheese, ham, and sometimes the broccoli as well in a food processor first. If you get the ham really finely blended it completely vanishes into the soup.

You have to be careful with this soup though... a little goes a long way. It's very hearty.
January 17, 2009
Hamhocks are in my local Kroger and local Meijer's, along with other pork cuts in the pork section of the meat depts. They are fist-sized and brownish tan (usually smoked, yum) sometimes with a visible bone coming out one end. Packed on a styro tray like the other meats. You can just toss the whole hock into a big pot of split pea or other soup and let the meat dissolve off the bone, and then trim off any remainder, yum. Gives the soup a hammy, smoky flavor.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login