Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Daughter gives mom a poke in the eye

Posted by Amethyst 
Daughter gives mom a poke in the eye
January 17, 2009
SAHM-cum-budding-journalist writes who-gives-a-fuck article about how her daughter gave her a poke in the eye. Between mommy and DD, I'm not sure which one is the adult.

(Italic comments by me...)

- - - - -

On my way to volunteering for PTA duty at my 13-year-old daughter's middle school, I saw a picture of her staring at me from the main school bulletin board, and it stopped me in my tracks. Marina is the school's student-body president, and she was featured along with the other council members. In the picture, she had a confident smile and that "I can do anything" look I've seen on her face so many times before. Curious, I read the profile below her photo and smiled at her answers. "Favorite food: sushi. Favorite sport: soccer." Then, "Role model: my dad." I did a double take and peered closer. Surely it said "my mom," too? Nope. Just two lonely words: "my dad."
[Ouch.]

Half of me swelled with pride, knowing I'd made the right choice of a husband and father to my children. The other half of me screamed, Wait a minute—how come I'm not her role model also?

Yes, my husband, Mike, is a generous and loving father. But I'm the Room Mom and the Team Mom! I chaired a school fundraiser that took months of preparation! I plan all the birthday parties! I scour cookbooks for nutritious dinner recipes! And who's there for the kids every day when they come home from school? Me!

[Gee ya mean ya actually DO THINGS on your 365-days-off-a-year?
BTW it's 'I am!', not 'Me!'. Learn some grammar if you want to be a journalist. Cretin.]

But I don't bring home the bacon—and I had to wonder if that's why Marina chose her dad. After all, his successful career has provided us with a nice home, extravagant vacations and private sports clubs for her and her little brother. Also, Mike works hard at a career he enjoys, something we have taught our children to value and take pride in. He also devotes almost all his free time to his kids.

[Yeah in and around the time Mike spends banging his successful glamorous childfree colleague in the 5-star downtown.]

Of course, he doesn't spend as much time with them as I do. I became a stay-at-home mom when my daughter was born—a role I never expected to have and one that, like many women in my position, left me conflicted. I felt blessed to be with my new baby, but I was also terribly lonely. I had sacrificed not only my career as a teacher, but also all my friends and my social network. I missed my students and the sense of purpose I got from my job. Every morning, I watched Mike with envy as he left for work. Little had changed for him. He still got to interact with adults and attend leisurely business dinners with uninterrupted grown-up conversation. Me? I went to the library for toddler reading time and sang "The Wheels on the Bus" at Mommy & Me classes.

[Hang on while I blow my nose. Ok go ahead.]

But soon enough I grew accustomed to full-time motherhood and it became my life. I wasn't a paid teacher anymore, but I was still teaching two young people to become kind, conscientious, responsible individuals. In other words, I was Supermom—and some day my kids would appreciate me for it!

[You forgot the bit about wiping their pooey arses 15 times a day for five years.]

Apparently, though, today is not that day. The evidence was right up there on that bulletin board.

I was disappointed, to say the least. Maybe more than I should've been—after all, any time teenagers say something nice about their parents, it's practically cause for a parade—but what can I say? When I saw my husband's name on that board instead of mine, I was disappointed. Still, "disappointed" was nothing compared to how my girlfriends reacted when I brought up the subject recently over lunch. They were both shocked. "I would have been pissed off if my daughter didn't name me," one said. We spent the rest of our lunch discussing the qualities that made someone a role model. By the end, I found myself defending my daughter's choice of her dad.

[That's three 'disapponteds'. Still she ends the lunch telling her best friends to fuck off. Nice work.]

I probably should've let it go after that, but the issue kept nagging at me. So finally, I went straight to the source.

[Who, Mike? No hang on, he's still humping away at the five-star. Oh you mean your daughter. The evil bitch.]

When I worked up the nerve to ask Marina why she chose her dad, she looked surprised. Ever the diplomat, she said I was her role model, too, and she didn't know why she hadn't included me. Now I was making her feel bad, so I threw in the towel. "You spoke from your heart when you chose your dad," I said, "and that's what's important."

[Oh I think I hear the shrill call of a martyr...]

I may have swallowed my pride—or pretended to—but part of me will always wonder why this beautiful young woman didn't choose her mother as her model for womanhood. But I think I'm finally getting over it. Because I have gotten to thinking more about role models lately I'm proud to say I have two in my life: my husband, because he is pretty amazing, and my daughter, because she's got a marvelous independent streak that keeps even her mother guessing.

[Hey what about your OTHER child. You hateful bitch.]

- - - - -

- - - - - - - -
"The death of creativity is a pram in the hallway"
- Cyril Connolly
Re: Daughter gives mom a poke in the eye
January 17, 2009
familiarity breeds contempt. mom probably stopped her from doing stuff. dad wasnt around to ban her so dad is a good guy..

(i rarely get good captch's ktxn9)

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
Anonymous User
January 17, 2009
Boo-fucking-hoo.

Somebody break out the violins.

Moomie should be happy this girl's role model isn't Britney Spears or some shit. But seriously, how petty can you get?
I'd poke my eyes out if I had a daughter whose role model was a SAHM with a life only spent on kids.
Anonymous User
January 17, 2009
mercurior
familiarity breeds contempt. mom probably stopped her from doing stuff. dad wasnt around to ban her so dad is a good guy..

Exactly. and putting a 13 year old on the spot like that is just petty. A 13 year old isn't gonna recognize mom because she scours cooks books and give all the kids a ride home from school. All she knows is "mommy disciplines me, daddy takes me for ice cream"

Both of my parents are muscians and when I was in elementary school I chose to play cello cause I wanted to be like my dad. But my mom wasn't upset or offended that I didn't pick the bassoon. In fact I think she was relieved because she dind't have to give me lessons.
January 17, 2009
Jesus, she goes ON and ON about the SMALLEST incident! Talk about having a tiny, narrow little world! Get a life already!

Just take pride that she mentioned a parent! The school probably said something like "Name ONE person whom you look up to..." and perhaps the daughter thought she could literally name just one. She is probably too young to really appreciate all her mom does do for her, or perhaps so close to her that she doesn't think of mom as one of "those people out there" commonly named in "who do you look up to" questions.

When I worked up the nerve to ask Marina why she chose her dad, she looked surprised. Ever the diplomat, she said I was her role model, too, and she didn't know why she hadn't included me. Now I was making her feel bad, so I threw in the towel. "You spoke from your heart when you chose your dad," I said, "and that's what's important."

Major, major no-no. First, she majorly put her kid on the spot for some stupid school thing that her daughter may have filled out in 4 minutes so that they could get it on the bulletin board. Second, GUILT TRIP! And how emotionally fragile do you have to be to try and make a CHILD feel guilty? This is so immature! "Waah! She wuvs HIM more!!" God, GROW UP! And aren't parents supposed to be a source of stability and strength to kids? Why is she displaying emotional vulnerability and making parental love a fucking COMPETITION to her child? Sick!

Had the daughter named "mom" as her role model, of course, likely there would have been no problem.
January 17, 2009
...... " Then, "Role model: my dad." I did a double take and peered closer. Surely it said "my mom," too? Nope. Just two lonely words: "my dad."
(SURELY she wants more for her daughter than for her to be a worthless SAHMoo, like herself? I saw this coming before I finished reading it. This girl is outgoing, popular, and a class leader, so NATURALLY she wants a successful role model, not a self important lazy whore)

"...Half of me swelled with pride, knowing I'd made the right choice of a husband and father to my children. The other half of me screamed, Wait a minute—how come I'm not her role model also? Yes, my husband, Mike, is a generous and loving father. But I'm the Room Mom and the Team Mom! I chaired a school fundraiser that took months of preparation! I plan all the birthday parties! I scour cookbooks for nutritious dinner recipes! And who's there for the kids every day when they come home from school? Me!"
(Further evidence that a SAHM is NOT TMIJITW, or their own kyds would see this, In the grand scheme of things, room moomies, begging the community for school money, setting out birthday cakes and balloons, and reading recipes is NOT that big of a deal no matter how long she "scoured" over cookbooks or sweated blood tossing some mac and cheese into the microwave)

"Of course, he doesn't spend as much time with them as I do. I became a stay-at-home mom when my daughter was born—a role I never expected to have and one that, like many women in my position, left me conflicted. I felt blessed to be with my new baby, but I was also terribly lonely. I had sacrificed not only my career as a teacher, but also all my friends and my social network. I missed my students and the sense of purpose I got from my job.,,,,,,, . Me? I went to the library for toddler reading time and sang "The Wheels on the Bus" at Mommy & Me classes."
(Of course he doesn't spend as much time with the kyds as she does, he works! SOMEONE has to work to pay for this luxurious lifestyle that she has created for herself and those kyds. Here she goes with the whining about all of her "sacrifices", which obviously no one cares about, not even the ones for whom SO much was sacrificed. She brought this shit down upon herself and now she regrets it because she realizes it was a complete waste of time because it won't bring her the burnt offerrings and undying love and adoration which she had fantasized that it would.)

"...But soon enough I grew accustomed to full-time motherhood and it became my life. I wasn't a paid teacher anymore, but I was still teaching two young people to become kind, conscientious, responsible individuals. In other words, I was Supermom—and some day my kids would appreciate me for it! Apparently, though, today is not that day. The evidence was right up there on that bulletin board."
(Even prisoners of war can grow "accustomed" to their lives as can people on death row, or just about anyone can adjust to being held in captivity. Her life is much like a monkey at the zoo, only they don't have to cook and clean up baybee shit. Oh, I like how she gives herself a pat on the back and tries to convince herself that her teaching these two kids all that they know (don't they HAVE teachers?) is more important than the 1000+ kyds she could have positively nurtured and taught had she stayed with her teaching job. The truth comes out that "supermom" was in it for the attention afterall, what a surprise. At least she sees "evidence" on the bulletin board, right there in black and white, what a mistake she made when she threw her life away. Only "today" isn't the only day that her grand sacrifices will not be appreciated, it's going to be every day. Kids see it as it's her JOB, since she does nothing else, so just like they won't say, "THANKS for bringing home your paycheck dad!", they won't be thanking her for cooking or cleaning either, or for any of her other lofty and so called "sacrifices".

"...I was disappointed, to say the least. Maybe more than I should've been—after all, any time teenagers say something nice about their parents, it's practically cause for a parade—but what can I say? When I saw my husband's name on that board instead of mine, I was disappointed. Still, "disappointed" was nothing compared to how my girlfriends reacted when I brought up the subject recently over lunch. They were both shocked. "I would have been pissed off if my daughter didn't name me," one said. We spent the rest of our lunch discussing the qualities that made someone a role model. By the end, I found myself defending my daughter's choice of her dad.
( So, she got support from her friends and at least they were honest about it, then she betrays them by taking up for her husband when SHE feels the exact same way and SHE brought it up! WHAT A BITCH and it's no wonder that she lost friends)

"...I probably should've let it go after that, but the issue kept nagging at me. So finally, I went straight to the source."
(NO SHE DID NOT........ this is so wrong right here.....)

"...I may have swallowed my pride—or pretended to—but part of me will always wonder why this beautiful young woman didn't choose her mother as her model for womanhood. But I think I'm finally getting over it. Because I have gotten to thinking more about role models lately I'm proud to say I have two in my life: my husband, because he is pretty amazing, and my daughter, because she's got a marvelous independent streak that keeps even her mother guessing."
(aaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. She just sealed her martyr-moo status with that one. In spite of her heavy ladened heart, she STILL chooses the one who caused her the pain and the source of her painful lost competition as HER "role models". How can a 13 y/o be a role model for an adult anyway? If she believes that SHE is the reason for everything good about that kyd (which I think that she does) then in essence she is saying that she places HERSELF in high esteem. She has already admitted to lying twice; Once to her friends at lunch and then a second time when she "pretended" to "swallow her pride" and be happy that the kyd "chose" daddy over moomie. I have every reason to believe that she is lying AGAIN with the daughter-daddy duo being her chosen "role models". It's clear that she is jealous of their relationship and that in and of itself is weird too.)

eye rolling smiley This woman is a stereotypical martyr-moo in the classic sense. HER "sacrifices" and HER "job" of SAHMoo, is more important and more deserving of appreciation than her husband's contributions. When she sees evidence to the contrary, she puffs up like a pit viper. She wants awards, attention and accolades for every little thing that she does and wants her husband to simply blend into the woodwork, as long as he keeps her bank account full and the bills paid. This is one of the types of moocows that I detest above some of the rest. ranting
January 18, 2009
"Whaaaah! You like the OTHER ONE better than me! Whaaaah!" How many times did this cow laugh-off her daughter's feelings that they liked her sibling more than her?

It never occurred to this slob that the bulletin-board questionnaire was never meant for her eyes. Had it been stuck to the wall at home, the jealous cow might've felt entitled to point it out. But, like a teenager herself who evesdrops on other people's conversations and hears something she doesn't like, the resulting 'hurt feelings' are NOT anyone else's problem.

If I were that daughter, I'd go to Dad and tell him what a weird thing his wife did. Bet he'd be impressed that his 'supermom' wife is such a pathetic crybaby.

- - - - - - - -
"The death of creativity is a pram in the hallway"
- Cyril Connolly
January 18, 2009
Yuor comments are great, Amethyst. If this woman feels so marginalized, she needs to get a job and get back out there among the adults. Clearly her real shock lies in the fact that her own life is passing her by while she wait for accolades- that aren't coming.
January 18, 2009
Hell, even a kid can see the banality of an existence where the biggest worries are coming up with new dinner recipes, planning birthday parties, and being home by 3 pm every day. It appears to me like the daughter doesn't worship at the altar of Mommy, and Mommy is having a real problem with that.
January 18, 2009
I don't find the girl's choice so odd because isn't it still true that kyds tend to like their opposite-sex parent more than their same-sex parent? (I did.) I remember hearing that 30 years ago when I was growing up and I am not a psych expert.

So what's the big deal here? A lot of huffin' and puffin' about.........NUTHIN'!
January 18, 2009
I felt blessed to be with my new baby, but I was also terribly lonely. I had sacrificed not only my career as a teacher, but also all my friends and my social network.

Lady, you better hope Mike doesn't dump you for a 25 year old. You'll be on welfare or working at Waldemort. My advice is to get recertified and find a teaching job ASAP.

As for the birthday party planning, gee, you bought a cake, hung up some balloons and maybe called in a clown. Yeah, that's right up there with organization Obama's inagural ball.
Neopatra
January 18, 2009
Here's a clue: the kid's father is her role model because he educated himself, got a job, a career, worked his ass off, and made himself a life. Meanwhile her mother decided it was easier to stay home, let her mind rot, be the live-in servant, let her husband pay all the bills, and whine when she didn't get a frikkin' medal for it.
I think the daughter has her priorities in order. Her mother is a TERRIBLE role model, and I'm glad the daughter recognized it. Maybe she has a fighting chance.
Anonymous User
January 18, 2009
Here's the biggest thing in my book:

If you expect recognition for being a decent parent, you're NOT A DECENT PARENT.

It's like charity. If you wouldn't give the money if no one knew you were giving it, it's not charity. You're just looking to buy positive public opinion otherwise.

A lot of so-called "parents" have kids because they want a human being that is "required" to love them unconditionally.
January 18, 2009
The girl realizes SAHMooing is a ridiculous thing to do with one's life when you could be at a successful job that involves actual work and that PAYS. SAHMooing is charity work, essentially. No one wants to work for free! The girl is smart, which I assume is a trait she learned from her father. I think Moomie is offended that her daughter might actually be smarter or have greater life aspirations beyond calving.

Yeah, Mommy feeds her and clothes her (all of which is paid for by the father...Mommy just delivers the goods), but when all you do is sit on your ass at home and run the vacuum cleaner and make dinner, there's not much to look up to in terms of role models.

If Mommy wants to be a role model in her daughter's eyes, she should do something worthwhile with her time. Go back to teaching, or otherwise get an actual job, maybe. Learn some hobbies that the daughter can maybe try too (knitting, painting, cooking *together*, etc.) If anything, this girl's mother is the anti-role model: She's showing her daughter what NOT to do with her life, much like what my mother has done for me (like not needing to rely on having a man around to live financially).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login