Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Essure failure rates

Posted by Cambion 
shelly
Re: Essure failure rates
July 13, 2011
I have the Essure and yea it was painful after wards but well worth it i had it over two years now and i have no complaints i understand anything can fail on anyone but thats the risk u have to take!!!! i love the essure and wouldnt change it for the world!!!!!
Anonymous User
July 13, 2011
I'm afraid to get sterilized because I used to have really severe periods (like the flu where I would puke, shake and have to spend the first day in bed) which are being helped by hormonal birth control. I really would like to have them just take my damn uterus and leave my ovaries but no one is going to do that on a 23 year old.

I thought essure was going to be perfect for me (in office, I am a law student so taking time off for surgery is not an option) but now idk if I even want to be sterilized.
LauritaR
July 14, 2011
LadyLuck....get the MIRENA IUD!!!! It is AWESOME. It has all the period-reducing effects of the Pill but with the EXACT SAME EFFECTIVENESS RATE AS STERILZIATION, 99.5%. Seriously.thumbs upwink
July 14, 2011
I know all methods of sterilization have their failure rates...tied tubes can come untied, IUDs can fall out, fertilized eggs can (very rarely) implant in the abdominal wall or onto organs, and Essure coils can come loose and float around in your groin. An IUD may be easier to get compared to a tubal or Essure since You Might Change Your MindTM according to many doctors, but there is the risk of allergy with the copper one.

Each woman has to weigh the pros against the cons for each method and choose which one's right for her, I suppose. Personally, I like the easier access to the IUD, but not the hormonal or expulsion aspect. I like Essure because of the scarring, but not the risk of it coming loose and getting lost among my organs. I like how really permanent a tubal sounds, but I don't like that I would have to scream, fight and argue over and over again and hope for the off chance a doctor does what I ask them to do.
LauritaR
July 14, 2011
even a tubal is 99.5%....the only 100% is hysterectomy (and maybe vasectomy).
For the other .5 (which is really lightning-strike odds), it's called abortion. Which is exactly what I would do. But why not get THE highest protection you can and of course what works best for you. I was going to get Essure or a local tubal myself, but I found out that IUDs are the SAME exact effectiveness, no major surgery, and you have lighter periods..best of all worlds to me.
LauritaR
July 14, 2011
....and expulsion is VERY VERY VERY rare. The IUD does not go anywhere...it is in your uterus, closed off by the cervix. I asked all these questions too, totally. I was totally freaked out and wanted to know eeeverything. Also, I was told that if it happens God forbid then it would have been in the time soon/recently after insertion, or if someone has just given birth, NOT to those who have NOT. that would be us. smiling smiley
July 15, 2011
look at the # of views
July 15, 2011
look at the # of views.
Anonymous User
July 15, 2011
My only fear with IUD and Mirena in particular is the fact that they won't give it to me if I haven't had a kid. The whole checking the strings to make sure it didn't fall out freaks me out. The pill, while synthetic and probs not that good for me at least won't migrate in my body or fall out. Idk, sometimes I think that transwomen have the best of it all! lol
LauritaR
July 15, 2011
LadyLuck...you should go to a different doctor who will give it to you...that should have nothing to do with it...I haven't either, nor will I EVER thank God. There will be a doctor who WILL "HOOK YOU UP"! smiling smiley......literally lol....the IUD is so effective that they insert Paragard as a "morning after" contraception...innnteresting huh? I'd rather have it in there all the time!!!!! well Mirena that is, 'cause of periods. And the hormones are only "local" to the uterus...no side effects! Everyone is diff. though as to what works for them. I was on Loestrin 24 (the Pill) and it was cool but I would still get so paranoid. What finally made me get Mirena was because after I used spermicide (aka cyanide lol) with the Pill, that insert (Encare) gave me such a horrible allergic reaction which led to an infection..they were all telling me that you can use the Pill by itself and you can trust it, etc. but I was saying, I need to a tubal or Essure for my peace of mind, this is ridiculous already!!...and then I found out even more about the IUD. I'm so grateful. And with the strings, docs say diff. things...you can check if you'd like (which I like!) but it's ok if you don't feel them sometimes because at certain times of the month they can curl around the cervix. and then another time you can feel them again, etc.
LauritaR
July 15, 2011
Dr. George Weinberger, L.A., CA. (310) 553-2777 thumbs upwink
July 15, 2011
I have a Paragard. I have never been pregnant nor had a kyd. I never check mine. It has never given me any problems. In fact my doctor recommended it because I told him I wanted to get fixed, and we both agreed a Copper T might be my friend because I decided to avoid surgery - no sense in being cut open in a hospital, those places are germy!

Again, I have never had any issues with my Paragard. I don't ever bother to check on it. My boyfriend can't even tell it's there. I have had it since December 2009. I won't lie and say insertion didn't suck balls because it did. The cramps I had during my period for the first four months were hell without a heating pad and lots of Advil Liquigels. Is it worth it?? Hell yeah - my boyfriend and I can have spontaneous, passionate sex without anything interrupting anything, and the Paragard is hella effective and NO HORMONES which is what I wanted since I can't handle hormones, plus I don't have to do anything for the next nine years.

Any doctor who tells you they won't give you an IUD because you're nulliparous is an asshole - you should be able to find one who doesn't have his head planted in his ass who will do it. My gyn is the best in my region and his placements are so good that he has almost no expulsions amongst his patients - and he's up on all the latest developments. Ask your general practitioner for a reference for who is the best gyn in your region.

Anyone who can't find a doctor who will fix them due to being too young, get a copper T. It's as effective and can be left in well over 10 years. Those of us who got ours in our 30s can keep it until we're too old to squat out a brat, by then the doctor should be willing to accept the obvious.

Anyone living in the Puget Sound region, PM me and I'll give you the name and number of my doc.
LauritaR
July 15, 2011
yes make sure you take a Motrin 800 mgs. and ALSO get the "numbing" agent/shots for the cervix, and your doc. will probably do that anyways...he said he was going to do that even before I asked. ends in "caine"...lidocaine? Something like that. During, I felt like it was a "hard-core" Pap smear, way more intense (not painful, because of the meds) but super intense, and a weird sensation because the uterus is so HIGH UP. Some cramping in that immediate area during but felt like "period" pain. Afterwards, it just felt like a really awful period, and there was bright red blood so I had a liner/pads down. Then it's been on and off "wackadoo" spotting and cramping sometimes, but that's totally normal at first, and take Motrin 800 if you have to. Just got it a few months ago, in April. Period is a little more than I had on the Pill, but it's still verrrrrry light, and only a day or two. Sometimes it goes away totally and then comes back for an hour or two, and that's it. I actually prefer to seeee it so that's OK with me!! I do know that with Mirena it will get even less and less.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.