Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

another useless idiotic study

Posted by mercurior 
another useless idiotic study
January 21, 2009
link have pics of babies.

Women can distinguish 'cute' babies
Scientists believe that they have uncovered the reason why women are more likely to coo more over babies than men - and it is all down to hormones.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/scienceandtechnology/science/sciencenews/4306406/Women-can-distinguish-cute-babies.html

Young women were acutely sensitive to a babies' "cuteness", including chubby cheeks, large forehead, big round eyes and button nose, during tests for a new study.

Women who had already gone through the menopause and men generally were less able to distinguish between babies.

Researchers believe that the difference could be the hormones which a woman's body makes during child-bearing years.

Women on the pill, which artificially raises hormone levels, were also more sensitive to variations in how attractive a child looked, the study found.

Psychologists at the University of St Andrews, generated a series of images of the same baby manipulated to appear more or less "cute", by tweaking features generally thought appealing.

The findings showed that the older women who took part in the experiment, who were aged between 53 and 60, struggled to tell the difference between the pictures as much as men did.

"Because average age at menopause is 51 years in Britain, these findings suggest the possible involvement of reproductive hormones in cuteness sensitivity," said Dr Reiner Sprengelmeyer, from the University of St Andrews, who led the study with colleagues from the universities of Bern, Bielefeld and York.

"Given that cuteness is considered an indicator of being young, helpless, and in need of care, we [believe] that the ability to detect small variations in the degree of cuteness may have evolved to guide the allocation of necessary maternal resources to the infant," he added.

The researchers now plan to carry out further research on whether women suffering from post-natal depression are as sensitive to the cuteness of children as other women.

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
Re: another useless idiotic study
January 21, 2009
To me, both babies are fugly and I'm 26.

lab mom
January 21, 2009
the study was the people we asked ina specific area, who fitted the criteria..

*********************************************************************************************************************************

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
January 21, 2009
I just "love" these surveys and studies that give the impression that their test subjects were just a random selection perhaps based only on age or gender or whatever, when that's rarely the case. When I hear, "four out of five doctors recommend Bayer aspirin", or when they qualify it even more and say, ..."........to their patients who take aspirin", it just makes me laugh. Did they possibly locate doctors who oppose aspirin, but then gave them a case of samples for his heart patients and said, you'd recommend Bayer, IF you recommended aspirin, right?" What are these "doctorates" in anyway? I remember one popular health and fitness "expert" who touted herself as "DR" whatever her name was for years and years and years, as if to give off the impression that she was an MD. Then, after someone made a stink about her using the title "DR" when in actuality she was a journalist turned fitness freak who had a PHD in English (I believe it was) she STILL managed to keep the title of "DR" on her many infomercials where she peddled her books and tapes, but in small print under her name it read, (not to imply that I am a medical doctor), or something like that.eye rolling smiley

I am absolutely positive that I could do a survey of 1000 people in my community that was honest in every way, except of course not if you count the implication that they were randomly chosen, and another one the same exact day that was completely contradictory by selecting a different 1000 people. It would be a true statement in BOTH cases to say, 1) "Nine out of Ten citizens surveyed in a small rural Southern town think that cigarette smoking is a sin and should be banned" and 2)"Nine out of Ten citizens surveyed in a small rural Southern town think that cigarette smoking is not sinful and should not be banned". While BOTH statements are true, the first 1000 people surveyed were selected from the active member rosters of Baptist fundamentalist churches and the other 1000 people were selected from among our many tobacco farmers in the area as well as the many tobacco outlet owners. Surveys, polls, studies, etc......are only as believable as the sources, IMO.
January 21, 2009
I think baybees are ugly. I didn't even think my own nephews were cute as baybees.

Give me a fat, furry, chubby little critter any day over one of these lumpen flesh loaves.
January 21, 2009
you should watch yes prime minister KK. this is interesting

opinon polls

January 21, 2009
babies are not cute, but furry baby animals are.

T wo
H ousehold
I ncome
N o
K ids
E arly
R etirement
January 21, 2009
mercurior
you should watch yes prime minister KK. this is interesting

opinon polls

It takes 45 minutes to download youtube, or I would watch it! (long story)
January 21, 2009
ok just for you kk transcript of the clip

Sir Humphrey demonstrates how public surveys can reach opposite conclusions]
[survey one]
Sir Humphrey Appleby: Mr. Woolley, are you worried about the rise in crime among teenagers?

Bernard Woolley: Yes.

Sir Humphrey Appleby: Do you think there is lack of discipline and vigorous training in our Comprehensive Schools?

Sir Humphrey Appleby: Do you think young people welcome some structure and leadership in their lives?

Sir Humphrey Appleby: Do they respond to a challenge?

Sir Humphrey Appleby: Might you be in favour of reintroducing National Service?

Bernard Woolley: Er, I might be.

Sir Humphrey Appleby: Yes or no?

Sir Humphrey Appleby: Of course, after all you've said, you can't say no to that. On the other hand, the surveys can reach opposite conclusions.

[survey two]
Sir Humphrey Appleby: Mr. Woolley, are you worried about the danger of war?

Sir Humphrey Appleby: Are you unhappy about the growth of armaments?

Sir Humphrey Appleby: Do you think there's a danger in giving young people guns and teaching them how to kill?

Sir Humphrey Appleby: Do you think it's wrong to force people to take arms against their will?

Sir Humphrey Appleby: Would you oppose the reintroduction of conscription?

[does a double-take]

Sir Humphrey Appleby: There you are, Bernard. The perfectly balanced sample.
…..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login