Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Obama reverses Bush abortion-funds policy

Posted by Techie 
Obama reverses Bush abortion-funds policy
January 23, 2009
I'll be honest, I do not like any members of our Democratic and Republican parties. For a long time, I have been thinking that we need more third party candidates.
On a better note, there is 1 good thing mr.Obama did that I approve. Thank you sir.
He mentions that he will aid family planning groups at home and abroad. He has his had on straight when it come to that.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090124/ap_on_go_pr_wh/obama_abortion_ban

I have also copied and pasted the article:

WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama on Friday struck down the Bush administration's ban on giving federal money to international groups that perform abortions or provide abortion information — an inflammatory policy that has bounced in and out of law for the past quarter-century.

Obama's move, the latest in an aggressive first week reversing contentious Bush policies, was warmly welcomed by liberal groups and denounced by abortion rights foes.

The ban has been a political football between Democratic and Republican administrations since GOP President Ronald Reagan first adopted it 1984. Democrat Bill Clinton ended the ban in 1993, but Republican George W. Bush re-instituted it in 2001 as one of his first acts in office.

"For too long, international family planning assistance has been used as a political wedge issue, the subject of a back and forth debate that has served only to divide us," Obama said in a statement released by the White House. "I have no desire to continue this stale and fruitless debate."

He said the ban was unnecessarily broad and undermined family planning in developing countries.

"In the coming weeks, my administration will initiate a fresh conversation on family planning, working to find areas of common ground to best meet the needs of women and families at home and around the world," the president said.

Obama issued the presidential memorandum rescinding the Bush policy without coverage by the media, late Friday afternoon. The abortion measure is a highly emotional one for many people, and the quiet signing was in contrast to the televised coverage of Obama's announcement Wednesday on ethics rules and Thursday's signing of orders on closing the Guantanamo Bay prison camp and banning torture in the questioning of terror suspects.

His action came one day after the 36th anniversary of the landmark Supreme Court ruling in Roe v. Wade that legalized abortion.

The Bush policy had banned U.S. taxpayer money, usually in the form of Agency for International Development funds, from going to international family planning groups that either offer abortions or provide information, counseling or referrals about abortion as a family planning method.

Critics have long held that the rule unfairly discriminates against the world's poor by denying U.S. aid to groups that may be involved in abortion but also work on other aspects of reproductive health care and HIV/AIDS, leading to the closure of free and low-cost rural clinics.

Supporters of the ban say that the United States still provides millions of dollars in family planning assistance around the world and that the rule prevents anti-abortion taxpayers from backing something they believe is morally wrong.

The ban has been known as the "Mexico City policy" for the city a U.S. delegation first announced it at a U.N. International Conference on Population.

Both Obama and Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton, who will oversee foreign aid, had promised to do away with the rule during the presidential campaign.

Clinton said Friday evening that for seven years Bush's policy made it more difficult for women around the world to gain access to essential information and health care services. "Rather than limiting women's ability to receive reproductive health services, we should be supporting programs that help women and their partners make decisions to ensure their health and the health of their families," Clinton said.

In a related move, Obama also said he would restore funding to the U.N. Population Fund (UNFPA). Both he and Clinton had pledged to reverse a Bush administration determination that assistance to the organization violated U.S. law known as the Kemp-Kasten amendment.

Obama, in his statement, said he looked forward to working with Congress to fulfill that promise: "By resuming funding to UNFPA, the U.S. will be joining 180 other donor nations working collaboratively to reduce poverty, improve the health of women and children, prevent HIV/AIDS and provide family planning assistance to women in 154 countries."

Thoraya Ahmed Obaid, executive director of the U.N. Population Fund, said: "The president's actions send a strong message about his leadership and his desire to support causes that will promote peace and dignity, equality for women and girls and economic development in the poorest regions of the world."

"We are confident that under the new president's direction, the U.S. will resume its leadership in promoting and protecting women's reproductive health and rights worldwide," Obaid said in a statement issued at U.N. headquarters in New York.

The Bush administration had barred U.S. money from the fund, contending that its work in China supported a Chinese family planning policy of coercive abortion and involuntary sterilization. UNFPA has vehemently denied that it does.

Congress had appropriated $40 million to the UNFPA in the past budget year, but the administration had withheld the money as it had done every year since 2002.

Organizations and lawmakers that had pressed Obama to rescind the Mexico City policy were jubilant.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., said the move "will help save lives and empower the poorest women and families to improve their quality of life and their future."

"Today's announcement is a very powerful signal to our neighbors around the world that the United States is once again back in the business of good public policy and ideology no longer blunts our ability to save lives around the globe," said Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass., chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee.

Population Action International, an advocacy group, said that the policy had "severely impacted" women's health and that the step "will help reduce the number of unintended pregnancies, abortions and women dying from high-risk pregnancies because they don't have access to family planning."

Anti-abortion groups and lawmakers condemned Obama's decision.

"I have long supported the Mexico City Policy and believe this administration's decision to be counter to our nation's interests," said Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky.

"Coming just one day after the 36th anniversary of the tragic Roe v. Wade decision, this presidential directive forces taxpayers to subsidize abortions overseas — something no American should be required by government to do," said House Minority Leader John Boehner, R-Ohio.

Rep. Mike Pence, R-Ind., called it "morally wrong to take the taxpayer dollars of millions of pro-life Americans to promote abortion around the world."

"President Obama not long ago told the American people that he would support policies to reduce abortions, but today he is effectively guaranteeing more abortions by funding groups that promote abortion as a method of population control," said Douglas Johnson, legislative director of the National Right to Life Committee.

___

AP White House Correspondent Jennifer Loven contributed to this report.

Ineptocracy (in-ep-toc'-ra-cy) - A system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety,
deserve neither liberty nor safety" ..... Ben Franklin

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants, it is the creed of slaves” ..... Paul Revere

“Sometimes the greatest evils are committed by the silence of good people” ..... Edmund Burke

So, if guns kill people, I suppose pencils misspell words, cars drive drunk, and spoons make people fat.
Re: Obama reverses Bush abortion-funds policy
January 23, 2009
Good. I thought it was clear already that there are too many people in the world as it is. Is that so difficult to understand?
January 23, 2009
Good move on Obama's part. It's about time that someone saw that the world has too many people as it is and has taken a step towards at least a step towards a solution. One of the first steps out of poverty is to limit family size. I can sympathise with the childed hving kyds if that is their thing and they are responsible about it. Having one after another, especially when you cannot afford them, is irresponsible and selfish.
January 24, 2009
clematis
Good. I thought it was clear already that there are too many people in the world as it is. Is that so difficult to understand?

Understand? I think even the least educated person can see that the world will not be able to sustain the population growth we have. Truth has been butchered by corporation driven media and corporation funded church. We have not been allowed to speak about overpopulation. Somehow, somewhere, somebody is making money on breeding. It is not us. It is a small number of very rich people. The breeding population is nothing more than a herd of sheep that does what shepherd says.

The trolling breeders around here do not understand that the joke is on them. They choose to birth people for slaying. They do what sheep, cows and pigs do. Except I respect animals because they are forced to breed. Human breeders are a form of a self initiated destruction who have been spoiled by the greatness of America and it's people. Breeders have not yet paid the price for their arrogance and selfishness. Their minds are too shallow to understand the extent of damage they have done to others.

No one, I mean not a single human being can justify having more that 2 kids in today's world. There is 1 excuse: a failed sterilization procedure. There is a remedy: Abortion. I could care less they can afford those kids at any point and time. People still use water, land, fossil fuels and fill landfills. Our Earth is not able to recover if we overpopulate it.

I can only support 1 type of tax payer funded medicine: Sterilizations and abortions for failed sterilizations. All who have received tax payer funded services must later be certain to contribute to the system just like anyone else.

Abortion clinic picketers are to be rounded up, sterilized and be forced to pay 50% of their income for public programs. No tax exemption for any organization that remotely suggests that population control is not necessary as their projected damages are far higher than those caused by cars and fossil fuels.
January 24, 2009
MerlynHerne
Good move on Obama's part. It's about time that someone saw that the world has too many people as it is and has taken a step towards at least a step towards a solution. One of the first steps out of poverty is to limit family size. I can sympathise with the childed hving kyds if that is their thing and they are responsible about it. Having one after another, especially when you cannot afford them, is irresponsible and selfish.

Many rip Obama apart for being from an African country. I think it may be good, because he could have experienced poverty and overpopulation himself. I've traveled the world as well and I can tell you - people are populating themselves out of existence. Something has to be done.

Even if people can afford those kids, too many is still bad. What if something happens to parents? Taxpayers pick up the tab. Businesses choose to take or not take risks every day. Why couldn't taxpayers?
January 24, 2009
Techie
clematis

Understand? I think even the least educated person can see that the world will not be able to sustain the population growth we have.

Yes, absolutely. Sorry, I meant, "is that so hard for the pro-breeders to understand?" Not anyone here. Didn't mean to come off as combative. I do worry about overpopulation...there's a limit to what our relatively scant land area on the planet (30%, compared to the oceans) can produce to feed us all.
January 24, 2009
clematis
Techie
clematis

Understand? I think even the least educated person can see that the world will not be able to sustain the population growth we have.

Yes, absolutely. Sorry, I meant, "is that so hard for the pro-breeders to understand?" Not anyone here. Didn't mean to come off as combative. I do worry about overpopulation...there's a limit to what our relatively scant land area on the planet (30%, compared to the oceans) can produce to feed us all.

No pun was intended. I was mainly trying to hint that a breeder's mind is worse than a mind of an uneducated person. I did agree with everything you said.
January 24, 2009
Many religious fanatics, mainly the "quiver full" types, have an odd view regarding overpopulation, IMO. They truly do not believe that the world is overpopulated, per se', because they believe that the ones who literally starve to death are somehow being erased from the earth as a part of God's bigger plan because they are not Christians. They will bend over backwards to fund programs for third worlders, IF they are open to Christian churches being built in their villages and are agreeable to converting to Christianity and raising their children as one of "God's Warriers". They beliveve that each child they have was specifically placed in their womb, by GOD HIMSELF, for them to raise it to be a "Warrier for God" (in the literal sense) to be used to serve in "God's Army" (in the literal sense) in the end of times after the Anti-Christ makes his presence known.

They believe that overpopulation, global warming, and just about anything related to there being TOO MANY PEOPLE on the planet is hogwash that was created by the media, which they think is ran by Jewish people, Atheists, and Satan Worshippers, among others, in an effort to thwart "God's Army" from being born. This is one reason that they oppose birth control in any form and glorify ALL pregnancies, even when the mother's life is at risk, as "God's Will". I didn't read this anywhere, although the subject may be published somewhere, but I SAW it with my own two eyes, heard it with my own ears, and grew up in and around these people from infancy until I escaped at around age 17. They do NOT publicize many of these opinions and have some sort of an unspoken feeling of being "special" or chosen" to carry on and out God's plan. It is a pasty faced, empty minded, blank stare that those people can get and it's downright frightening.

It's actually some pretty scary shit once you realize that they are dead serious, willing to kill in the name of their God, and that they are steadily growing in numbers and power, It's also scary how they have this delusion that THEY and they alone, can interpret "God's Will", and that they can and DO carry it out.
January 24, 2009
kidlesskim
Many religious fanatics, mainly the "quiver full" types, have an odd view regarding overpopulation, IMO. They truly do not believe that the world is overpopulated, per se', because they believe that the ones who literally starve to death are somehow being erased from the earth as a part of God's bigger plan because they are not Christians. They will bend over backwards to fund programs for third worlders, IF they are open to Christian churches being built in their villages and are agreeable to converting to Christianity and raising their children as one of "God's Warriers". They beliveve that each child they have was specifically placed in their womb, by GOD HIMSELF, for them to raise it to be a "Warrier for God" (in the literal sense) to be used to serve in "God's Army" (in the literal sense) in the end of times after the Anti-Christ makes his presence known.

They believe that overpopulation, global warming, and just about anything related to there being TOO MANY PEOPLE on the planet is hogwash that was created by the media, which they think is ran by Jewish people, Atheists, and Satan Worshippers, among others, in an effort to thwart "God's Army" from being born. This is one reason that they oppose birth control in any form and glorify ALL pregnancies, even when the mother's life is at risk, as "God's Will". I didn't read this anywhere, although the subject may be published somewhere, but I SAW it with my own two eyes, heard it with my own ears, and grew up in and around these people from infancy until I escaped at around age 17. They do NOT publicize many of these opinions and have some sort of an unspoken feeling of being "special" or chosen" to carry on and out God's plan. It is a pasty faced, empty minded, blank stare that those people can get and it's downright frightening.

It's actually some pretty scary shit once you realize that they are dead serious, willing to kill in the name of their God, and that they are steadily growing in numbers and power, It's also scary how they have this delusion that THEY and they alone, can interpret "God's Will", and that they can and DO carry it out.

Most religions, Christan included, are attempting to build "their own army". Church is financed by it's embers, the more members they have, the more money they will bring in, the richer the pope will get.

Church, just like a corporation, is about money, lots of it. Outbreeding any competition is an ultimate goal. They all do it. Very few care about well being of people, most are about taking cash in for right now. Priest has to have that Mercedes SUV, his wife wants a BMW X5. Church members will provide.
Anonymous User
January 24, 2009
As someone who is pro-choice, why should my tax dollars go to support those who are anti-choice?

Also, remember that with a Democrat in charge, someone in power might give a damn about those who have already been born.
January 24, 2009
"...today (Obama) is effectively guaranteeing more abortions... as a method of population control," said Douglas Johnson, legislative director of the National Right to Life Committee.

Population control. They say that as if it's a bad thing.

- - - - - - - -
"The death of creativity is a pram in the hallway"
- Cyril Connolly
January 24, 2009
a lot of these quiverful and rapture ready groups, want the end of the world, then they can be taken upto heaven and saved. so by breeding they are creating an extra antixhrist chance, and so what if a billion people die of hunger thats ok as the saved will live in paradise.

some of the more radicals actively persue this, to bring about the end of times.

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
Anonymous User
January 24, 2009
Techie
..., his wife wants a BMW X5.

I have a BMW Z4..but it's just my play toy grinning smiley
January 24, 2009
str8six
Techie

Those are fun cars. I am glad that you have one of those because I know you did not buy it with money donated by church members in the name of god. Priest's wife probably laughs at the members behind their back while she shops at expensive stores and gets a $200/hour massage from an exquisite place.
Anonymous User
January 25, 2009
Techie
str8six
Techie

Those are fun cars. I am glad that you have one of those because I know you did not buy it with money donated by church members in the name of god. Priest's wife probably laughs at the members behind their back while she shops at expensive stores and gets a $200/hour massage from an exquisite place.

Indeed they are! I grew up working on muscle cars with my brother, it's a little fancy if you know me, but I just couldn't help myself. That top down, two seat-er straight six curb-hugging animal gets me off!!

And yes, I paid for it myself, and...gasp...it's paid for.
January 25, 2009
str8six
Techie
str8six
Techie

Indeed they are! I grew up working on muscle cars with my brother, it's a little fancy if you know me, but I just couldn't help myself. That top down, two seat-er straight six curb-hugging animal gets me off!!

And yes, I paid for it myself, and...gasp...it's paid for.

You just had to have the 3.0L straight 6, didn't you? They do run good, especially the manual trans versions. Careful with that thing.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login