Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Kids and Home Movies

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Kids and Home Movies
January 25, 2009
I was riding the bus a few days ago when I noticed a conversation between a few people sitting near me. Someone was looking at digital cameras in a Best Buy flyer. "This one looks good, and it's not that expensive." Someone else says, "It's a good idea to get a camcorder. When you have kids you can record their first steps, first day of school and birthday parties."

First person says, "Actually I don't plan on having kids."
Second person: "So why are you so interested in home movies, then?"

The first person says that he thinks it would be cool to film vacations, hanging out with friends etc. Since I didn't know these people, I kept quiet. Inside my head I was like WTF? I know lots of parents like to videotape their kid's dance recitals and Little League games and whatnot, but why do home movies have to be exclusively limited to children? If a group of adults want to videotape themselves having fun for posterity I don't see anything wrong with that. Last time I checked there was no law saying that people can't appear of film after they've grown past the cute little kid stage.
Anonymous User
Re: Kids and Home Movies
January 25, 2009
when i first thought of getting a camcorder all i could think of was straping it to the tank of my bike and hitting my favourite road.
Re: Kids and Home Movies
January 25, 2009
My parents didn't buy a camcorder until after the first grandbrat was born in 1999. They also didn't buy a movie camera with that old 8 mm reel to reel until after I was born and they had to pawn (the old "pawn for spawn") something to have been able to afford it back then. I don't suppose that anything that we (their own kyds) did was important enough to put on video or film for the over 20 years or so that camcorders were on the market, until they had a second generational replicant. although I do remember them borrowing a camcorder for one of our weddings and a musical performance in the early 80's. There are probably less than five videos/films of anything that my two sisters or I ever did combined,(spanning four decades) , yet there are shelves and shelves, and boxes and bags of tapes and DVD's of those two grandbrats who have only been alive for 10 and 7 years. Mother finally had ALL of the 8mm transferred to VHS a few years back and it only took up about half of one tape. I am sick to death of home movies because it's basically just every day crap like dancing, brushing teeth, them watching TV, playing, eating, etc.....It's boring enough to have to watch in real life, much less watch the replays, skip-searches, fast forward and rewind replays.

I asked to borrow their camcorder once to film something which was important to me and that's when I found out that my parents had just given it to my sister since they had "the children" and all. MANY MANY people think that camcorders and other types of photographical equipment are only necessary IF someone has kyds. Those same people don't give a shit if an adult doesn't have any heat or anything to eat either, so I don't suppose that I should be too surprised,
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login