Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

WTF is all this worshipping at the altar of the Millennials?

Posted by CrabCake 
WTF is all this worshipping at the altar of the Millennials?
January 27, 2009
I'm so sick of hearing that term, "Millennials." Anyway, I was reading an industry rag at work yesterday. There was an article about how to attract and retain Millennials. I can't find it online, but essentially it had all the bullshit about how they need to be challenged and paid well and, most revolting, "respected." All this right out of the chute and being new on the job. Even worse, the article was written by an older person, not a spoiled brat.

I'm 48. When I first started working way back in the Dark Ages, like most of us here I would guess, I took many a CRAP job with SHITTY hours and pay because the mantra back then was that you had to pay your dues to EARN such things as promotions, better shifts and perks, etc. etc. It is absolutely sickening how all of that has gone out the window in favor of molly-coddling the Entitlement Generation.

Online, I found this letter in response to that article, which of course was exactly what I was thinking as I read the original article.

Millenials Need to Put in Their Time

To the Editor:

I guess in my career I made a big mistake: I worked my way up, paid my dues, worked the off shifts, the overtime hours, on-call hours and performed all the grunt work we old timers were foolish enough to put up with.

As a millennial, I could have skipped all that. I would then be able to tell the boss no thanks on that overtime, thanks anyhow on that 11-7 shift, count me out on that call schedule, and still be expecting a promotion within my first year.

I guess that's how it goes when a generation grows up having everything handed to them. As their parents, we handed them the latest and greatest toys, video games and cell phones. Now, as their supervisors, we are doing it again. Are we so afraid they will leave we are willing to give them everything to get them to stay? Realistically, how often can millennials expect to hop jobs and still have some place to go? Until someone somewhere says enough already, all us old timers are going to be left covering the off shifts, putting in the overtime and taking all the call.

I feel the technologists in my generation worked hard to get where we are today. Yet sometimes, it feels like all the perks are coming to the newer employees without consideration for the needs of your older tried and true employees. Some of us have been with the same institution for a good portion, if not all, of our careers. I guess I'd just like some one to show some respect for that.

Now, this is not to say that there aren't slackers in every generation. There are plenty of "older" workers who are lazy and feel entitled simply because they have been on the job for a billions years. I work with some like that. But it's the unfounded "respect" we are expected to shower on these infants that really, really chaps my ass. spanking with a whip on the ass
Re: WTF is all this worshipping at the altar of the Millennials?
January 27, 2009
Uh, I'm a "millennial," (who comes up with this?) and I didn't get SHIT handed to me, and neither did my husband (another "millennial," apparently. I've never heard of this term). He and I must be working the wrong jobs.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
"Not every ejaculation deserves a name" - George Carlin
January 27, 2009
I don't even know what a millenial is, but I suspect I am not one.
January 27, 2009
I have never even heard that term before, but I recognize the behavior. A LOT of just out of college or even highschool entry level workers have always acted as if certain jobs were beneath them and exude the attitude that they should be able to skip all of the bullshit that everyone else had to endure in order to become "boss". I realize that some people get red carpet treatment because of who they are, but for the most part EVERYONE is expected to "pay their dues" in most any given field whether it be factory work or Wall Street. This sounds like nothing more than age old behavior often exhibited by selfish, lazy, and lower intellect types, but with a trendy new name attached. The name "Millennials" sounds like it should be referring to kyds who were born in 2000 until present, not the current 18-25 group because they would have been born in the mid 80's- early 90's. I guess it's referring to HS/college graduation years, but it sounds really stupid and like a Star Trek wannabe to call people that.:usr

What futuristic term are they going to start calling people who graduated in the 1975- ish era in America, "Bicentennials? Maybe it's going to just be PRE Millennials, Millennials, and POST millennials. It's just stupid sounding to me because it lends credence to the fact that this generation is somehow more important than the one before or after it, which is foolish. It was a phrase that was no doubt coined by a breeder.:bdid
Millenials are people born between 1979 and 1994. They can also be known as Generation Y.
January 27, 2009
Logically, wouldn't Millennials have to have been born during the Millennium? I'm thinking then that the oldest of them would be about 9 now, and certainly not ready to work full time.

"It truly is the one commonality that every designation of humans you can think of has, there's at least one asshole."
--Me
January 27, 2009
Oh right. Those "indigos" again, with a new word to make them even more speshul.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"I have learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is easy and fun as hell"

:eatu
January 27, 2009
Alchemy
Millenials are people born between 1979 and 1994. They can also be known as Generation Y.

Heh, that would make today's wave of snowflakes Generation Z. For Zeroes.
January 27, 2009
Alchemy

Where in the world do they get that people between the ages of 15-30 and who were not born in the new millennium are called Millennials? That doesn't even make sense. 15 y/o's are'nt even in the work place yet and most 30 y/o's are from the old school of working their way up the ladder. It doesn't make any sort of philosophical sense, isn't logical or even chronologically correct, and part of the "group" so called, hasn't even entered the workforce yet. Did they just grab a name and age group out of a hat?shrug I have never heard of generation "Y" either. What is that supposed to mean and is it synonymous with "Millennials"?confused smiley If there is a "generation Y" group, then what does that make the rest of us?
January 27, 2009
I read some article saying they're called the Millennials because they are coming of age in the millennium. Whatever.

As far as generations go, there were the Baby Boomers, then Gen X and now Gen Y. It's on Wikipedia, I believe.
January 27, 2009
I looked on Wiki and save yourself the bother. It's another word for the "Indigo" bullshit.

"I have learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is easy and fun as hell"

January 27, 2009
Figures.
January 27, 2009
Even the word, "generation" makes me think of 10 little bears rolling over in bed.eye rolling smiley

And the aged gets pushed out of the bed, of course.
January 27, 2009
Alchemy

I'm certainly not in that group (way too old), although I kinda wish I was

- The human gene pool could use a little chlorine
January 27, 2009
god i havent thought of that for ages, now its stuck in my head,

thanks banshee (mutters there were 10 in the bed and the little one said roll over roll over so they all rolled over and one fell out hit the floor and gae a shout, please remember single bed are made for 1,2,3,4,5, 6,7, 8, 9. LOL)

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
January 27, 2009
We have "millennials" here at work. In a word? Useless.
January 27, 2009
KidFreeLuvnLife
We have "millennials" here at work. In a word? Useless.

Those are the "remedials".

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login