Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What not to feed your dog

Posted by Amethyst 
What not to feed your dog
February 07, 2009
Baby boy 'killed by family dogs'

A baby boy has died after a possible attack by two family dogs. The three-month-old child was taken to Prince Charles Hospital in Merthyr Tydfil after the attack in the early hours, say Gwent Police.

Officers say a Jack Russell and Staffordshire bull terrier are thought to have caused the injuries.

A member of the family who was looking after the baby is being treated for shock before being questioned by police.

Chief Inspector Jim Baker said: "This is a tragic incident for the family and the community. Gwent Police family liaison officers are currently supporting and assisting the family through this difficult time. Although the exact circumstances of the baby's death are yet to be established, we would like to reiterate the advice given to dog owners that dogs should never be left unsupervised with young children at any time."

Jack Russells are terriers. They kill rats, that's what their breed was bred to do. They're small dogs, but they clamp on and do not let go until the rat's spine is broken. Staffordshire bull terriers are also terriers but they're more like bulldogs -- they look like american pit bulls. They disable bulls (yes, big bulls like you see on farms). That's what their breed was bred to do -- clamp on to the face of the bull and not let go even if the bull is tossing its head around with the bull terrier attached. It wears the bull out and damages it so that a single man can kill it more easily without assistance.

These people let their dogs 'play' with a three-month old? I guess you get what you ask for, then.

Merthyr Tydfil (pronounced mer-thehr tid-fil) is a very down-at-heel nasty area in Wales which used to be home to coal mining communities before everyone stopped buying coal and the mines were shut down in the 80s. Unemployment, poor education, and breeders are all rife in Merthyr.

- - - - - - - -
"The death of creativity is a pram in the hallway"
- Cyril Connolly
Re: What not to feed your dog
February 07, 2009
and everyone knows little dogs are more vicious than big dogs. i have see a jack russel, attack an alsation. little mincemeaters on 4 legs.

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
February 07, 2009
Of course for their carelessness, neglect, and stupidity, they are being rewarded with free medical treatment for "shock", have the sympathy and outpour of love from the community, and are to be pitied by all. The only ones who I pity are the helpless infant who experienced terror and horrific pain while he was being ripped to shreds by the dogs, and for the dogs themselves who were only doing what came naturally to them and who will no doubt be killed. WHY do people keep leaving their baybees unsupervised around animals? As much as I adore my cats, THEY HAVE TEETH AND CLAWS, they get jealous, they are territorial, and I have no doubt in my mind that at least two out of my six insiders would purposely attack and possibly try and kill any small creature that I brought into this home. I have another one (12 lbs or so of cat) who has a habit of laying on people's heads while they sleep, so I am quite sure that she would find an 8 or 10 lb baybee body a comfy little "pillow" and inadvertantly smother it to death.

This almost always happens with dog owners too (NOT the good dog people) for some reason, "He won't bite, he won't scratch...."Why can't they admit that their dogs can and WILL bite given the right set of circumstances? I know NUMEROUS people who will holler out at their locked gate entrance as people stand in fear while their Pit Bull has his teeth bared, is jumping up at the fence clawing, has that deep gutteral growl going on, and is salivating, "Oh come on in! He won't hurt you! He is just a big baybee!"". Then, if you refuse to enter until the dog is restrained or contained, then they laugh at you. This happened to me quite often when I appraised residential properties. I have some bite mark scars on my right lower leg where a Pomeranian came out of nowhere and attacked, latched on, and would NOT stop biting and growling until he was physically removed by the owner (barking, growling, and kicking) Of course he had "NEVER" done anything like that before, yeah right. eye rolling smiley I ALWAYS asked in advance if there were any dogs on the property so I could tell them to either restrain Fido or I wouldn't come out. These bastards had said "no", and when I called them on it AFTER the attack, they said they didn't think that "Mr. Powder Puff" was worth mentioning because "their dog" doesn't bite.:sbx

Even (or especially) a playful puppy or energetic kitten is capable of doing some MASSIVE unintentional damage to an infant with their paws and teeth. Pets/animals and infants/small children do NOT belong in an unsupervised setting together. When a tragedy occurs such as this in 99% of the cases it is the parents' faults and they should be prosecuted. IMO.
February 07, 2009
I have always wondered what goes through people's minds when I see them let a dog or cat lay right next to a baby on the floor. Or a dog sleeping with a young kid in bed. No matter how much you trust the animal, they still are an animal, and are capable of biting or clawing the kid if he/she makes a wrong move. Not smart, IMO.

Jack Russells are nasty little buggers. I've yet to meet one that was very friendly.
February 07, 2009
dogs generally are doing what we built them for. protection, defense.

i remember once, it was a very hot summer here, i had a paddling pool out, and was nekkidwink i was about 4 or 5, and i was playing roughly with my dog and no not like that.. and he turned round and grabbed me by the penis. i froze.. I got into trouble. he didnt damage me, or anything.

my mum said it would have served me right.

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
February 07, 2009
According to the local news website, it happened at 12.15am this morning.

Shocked neighbours Commercial Street said the baby had been staying with his grandmother at the time. Heather Organ (yeah unfortunate name!) said she was watching television when she heard "screaming".

"I came out and ...When the door opened, two dogs ran out. At the time I didn’t realise what had happened so I picked up the Jack Russell and ushered the other one (Staffordshire bull terrier) off the road. The grandmother came out and she was screaming ’The baby is dead! He is dead!’ There was no blood on the Jack Russell but with the black one (Staffordshire bull terrier) I couldn’t tell."

"When I entered the room the baby was obviously dead. The baby had a severe injury to his neck and with that the police arrived. It was dreadful. There was blood on the floor."

"I know one neighbour tried to give the baby the kiss of life so you can imagine what state he is in now."

She thought the boy was the only child of his parents who were married "a year or so ago".

Kiss of life? Oh dear.

Little infants, the way they kick and cry, do trigger an attack response in some dogs, unfortunately. Granny hasn't got any sense. Ah, and don't think granny will be a cute dotty old lady like Mrs Santa Claus in a skirt and apron with her silvery hair pulled back into a bun. Considering this is Merthyr, granny will almost certainly only be in her 40s, with 'fried' cheap blonde hair from a bottle, possibly tattooed or pierced, and the parents of the baby will only be late teens, maybe 20-21. Commercial Street will be like all the other Commercial Streets in former mining towns - tacky little shops, a tatty old newsagent's shop, a few rough pubs and icky takeaway food counters.

- - - - - - - -
"The death of creativity is a pram in the hallway"
- Cyril Connolly
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login