Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mothers controlling marketers

Posted by Rose Red 
Mothers controlling marketers
February 10, 2009
Avoid Social Media Mistakes With Moms
by Lolita Carrico, 7 hours ago

The world of marketing and public relations has changed drastically over the past few years. With tens of thousands of blogs to monitor as well as the rise of social media tools like Twitter and Facebook, brand managers have a lot on their plate to, well, manage.

And, many companies are failing. Miserably. And publicly.

It's no secret that moms are a powerful and active online force. In the past few months, Wal-Mart, Disney and Johnson & Johnson are just a few big companies that have managed to set off fireworks among moms in the blink of an eye.

For example, over a weekend in November, moms on Twitter launched a PR nightmare for J&J's Motrin brand in response to an 'offensive' ad campaign. Word spread like wildfire through the blogosphere, Facebook and YouTube, yet marketers at Motrin didn't get wind of the uproar until they were in the office on Monday. In that time, a mountain of negative press and perception resulted.

So, how can brands manage their perception in the social media age and avoid major mistakes?

Join the conversation: The most common blunder is for a brand to jump on the social media bandwagon and then fail because they attempt to connect in unnatural ways -- in other words, they only push their messages. Social media is about conversation and connection, so no one wants a spammy, one-way relationship. Social tools also offer fantastic ways to garner feedback from consumers -- talk to them, ask questions, and listen. Zappos and Ford are two companies that are connecting with consumers in relevant, effective and multilaterally beneficial ways.

Hire an advocate: Kim Moldofsky, a consultant and blogger, recommends that brands targeting moms hire a "Social Media mom" -- an active, connected blogger who can keep them abreast of trends and hot topics. LeapFrog, Lands' End and Method have empowered mom bloggers and made connections within their online communities in organic, spam-free ways.

Choose advocates wisely and educate them: Disney and Wal-Mart have created groups of bloggers - such as Wal-Mart's 11moms or Disney's MagicMoms who promote the brands via social media. Many have openly aired concern about the apparent lack of diversity when the groups were first created.

So, when putting together a consumer panel, make sure "your advisory panels look like your consumer base," Moldofsky advises. Also, educate the members about issues and hot topics. For example, after the Black Friday incident at a Walmart store where a worker was trampled by the crowds, questions and criticism were directed to many of the 11moms on Twitter and on blogs ... and many of the women were ill-prepared to respond.

Bottom line? Social media is changing the way brands communicate to their audiences. Create a strategy just like any other marketing initiative, but apply the fundamental principles of social media to really connect with your consumers and learn from them.
Re: Mothers controlling marketers
February 10, 2009
i did marketing as part of my qualification, you have 2 types or marketing, theres the market the pre exisiting, or create a market.

both have benefits and drawbacks.

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
Ih8MOObloggers
February 10, 2009
Rose Red
Avoid Social Media Mistakes With Moms

It's no secret that moms are a powerful and active online force. In the past few months, Wal-Mart, Disney and Johnson & Johnson are just a few big companies that have managed to set off fireworks among moms in the blink of an eye.

Ah yes, the moo bloggers.

Like I tell all my clients, moo bloggers are a waste of resources. The flap with Johnson and Johnson? The moos were mooing and lowing about how J&J were not going to allow their loaves at a moo conference they were going to. A moo conference paid for by J&J, at a HOTEL, free meals, free air fare.. THE WORKS, for a bunch of ungrateful welfare whores and SAHMS that sit on their computers all day blogging over at live journal or whatever the fuck. J&J wanted the moos full attention at the moo conference, they were conducting BUSINESS, and they got a black eye over just asking the goddamned whores to leave the brats at home. SICKENING the entitlement of these twats.
Matush
February 10, 2009
You know, I once recommended to a friend of mine who works in PR and whose client is under attack by moms: Target the childfree!
February 10, 2009
No wonder almost EVERYTHING are going down in QUALITY.eye rolling smiley
February 10, 2009
Are these the same biatches who can't even keep a decent clean house because they're so bizzy?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login