Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

But who will look after you when you're OLD!?!11eleventy-one!

Posted by CherryBlossom 
But who will look after you when you're OLD!?!11eleventy-one!
March 19, 2009
Revenge from beyond the grave: Mother leaves £20k to hospice... and nothing to daughters who tried to evict her from her home

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1163197/Revenge-grave-Mother-leaves-fortune-hospice-instead-daughters-tried-evict-her.html

They say that revenge is a dish best served cold.

But few would go as far as Megan Swanston, who waited until after her death to get back at her daughters for trying to throw her out of her home.

Instead of sharing her £20,000 estate between them, it has emerged that she had changed her will, giving all the money to the hospice which cared for her and denying the three of them a penny.

The document, made public following her death at the age of 84, represents the widow's dramatic revenge from beyond the grave.

In it, she states: 'I declare that I have not made any provision in my will for my daughters because of the way they have treated me during my lifetime.'

The feud dates back to the death of her beloved husband Willie, a retired Lieutenant Commander in the Royal Navy, in 1994, after which she received an extraordinary ultimatum.

Her youngest daughter, Elaine Nixon, then aged 40, wrote that she and her golf professional husband were suffering financial problems and so had made the 'difficult' decision to sell her mother's house.

The terraced cottage had been Mrs Swanston's home for 13 years, but it had been bequeathed to her daughters by her father-in-law - an Edinburgh industrialist - after a falling-out with Willie.

Mrs Nixon informed her mother that she and her husband were having a 'terrific struggle' to meet their £500-a-month rent.

'I know that I have always said that it is your house until you die, and at the time I meant it,' she wrote.

'But circumstances have changed, mum. For weeks I have been trying to think of an alternative solution, but, short of winning the pools, there isn't one.'

After receiving no response, a second, more formal, warning was sent by Mrs Nixon, saying the dispute can be settled 'amicably' or 'you can choose to be awkward, which it appears you will'.

It concluded: 'Whilst we do not wish for any unpleasantness whatsoever, please be in no doubt that we will do whatever is legally necessary to obtain what is rightfully ours, with or without your approval. Yours sincerely, EC Nixon.'

The pensioner, a former Wren, was given eight weeks notice or told she would face eviction, while her daughter gave her the number of the local housing office so she could arrange a council flat.

Furious, Mrs Swanston vowed to defy the deadline and subsequently disowned both Elaine and her other two daughters, who had planned to split the proceeds.

In a bitter attack, she raged: 'My husband Willie and I gave them everything they ever wanted or asked for - and they repay me by seeking to turn me into a bag lady on a park bench, with just my dog for company.'

Her daughter hit back, saying her parents had squandered money on cruises and property when they should have been saving for their retirement.

'They lived off the fat of the land, and my father had plenty of time to accumulate vast amounts of money,' Mrs Nixon said.

But Mrs Swanston was unrepentant, describing her youngest daughter as 'spoilt' and insisting that none of her daughters were poor.

She added that the eldest, Valerie Hunter, had a taste for expensive suits, while the middle girl, Lorraine Talbot, ran an exclusive shoe shop.

The battle ended up in court where a judge berated both sides for 'washing your dirty linen in public' and pointed out that the case risked costing almost half the value of the house.

Eventually, in 1998, a compromise was reached, under which the house - in Oldham, Greater Manchester - was sold for £60,000 on condition that Mrs Swanston could remain as sitting tenant until her death.

There she remained until last year when her health deteriorated and she moved into Dr Kershaw's Hospice in nearby Royton, and last September she prepared her posthumous revenge by rewriting her will.

Stating that she revoked her previous wills, she bequeathed her entire £20,000 estate to the hospice, cutting out her daughters because of how they had treated her.

Following her death in December, it went to probate, and the details were revealed yesterday.

Solicitor Malcolm Abel, executor of her estate, said: 'The history of what happened in the past is well-documented.'

Mrs Nixon, who now lives in West Yorkshire, said she did not even know her mother had an estate.

'We moved on a long time ago,' said the 55-year-old. 'None of us has anything to say.'

Asked whether she had behaved disgracefully towards her mother, she replied: 'People who know me and my family know exactly what kind of people we are.'

Her sister Lorraine, 61, also refused to comment yesterday at her shop in Newcastle-under-Lyme.

But a family friend said the will won't have surprised any of them: 'There was no love lost between Megan and her daughters after what happened. Megan completely disowned them.'

The friend added that none of the daughters visited Mrs Swanston at the hospice, and the only relative at her funeral was a nephew.

Ha, good for the old girl - best revenge ever! Nasty cunts got what they deserved...
Re: But who will look after you when you're OLD!?!11eleventy-one!
March 19, 2009
Works both ways- my mother is out in the cold after creating a servant of me all throughout childhood, among other things. She can sell her precious things when the chips are down. I'm not feeding her in the nursing home.
Re: But who will look after you when you're OLD!?!11eleventy-one!
March 19, 2009
That is rich. I can thoroughly understand the will.

On the other hand, if they did not invest for retirement, some of the problems could also lie with the old lady.

I still think that is rich. Would love to be a fly on the wall.

With todays attitude that contracts do not mean what they say, it is possible the brats could contest it.

two cents ¢¢

CERTIFIED HOSEHEAD!!!

people (especially women) do not give ONE DAMN about what they inflict on children and I defy anyone to prove me wrong

Dysfunctional relationships almost always have a child. The more dysfunctional, the more children.

The selfish wants of adults outweigh the needs of the child.

Some mistakes cannot be fixed, but some mistakes can be 'fixed'.

People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one. Leo J. Burke

Adoption agencies have strict criteria (usually). Breeders, whose combined IQ's would barely hit triple digits, have none.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login