Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I was a little disturbed by Dirty Jobs the other night. Warning, cow parts discussed.

Posted by Seacreature 
Mike started the show out by explaining that he'd decided to try something new in terms of looking for more 'Dirty Jobs' to check out. SOooo, he started going through all the letters from the kiddies, of course. He came across one little boy who suggested he google the word "barf". Well, that opened up all sorts of weird jobs. I think it was Barf World or something that came up. It's a company that makes raw pet food diet out of ingredients that consist mainly of cow parts.

So we get to see Mike at the processing plant, where he has to do the usual helping with nasty shit. You have to be a special type of person to work at a place like this. The owner is a woman who must have a steel stomach. One man was very happy chopping the rib cages off of cow spines all day. They have to cut cow stomachs into parts that are ready to be ground up. The workers also have to SMELL the stomachs and other parts to make sure they're not bad. They already reek, but you know meat...when it's bad it's REALLY REALLY BAD. They also get to sort out and chop up various other parts...liver, kidneys, tongues, hooves (these they stuff with ground cow stomach)...ugh.

The part that upset me was when Mike held up a skinned cow head, eyeballs and all. He was holding it up and waving it around. It made me sick. It reminded me of other gross jobs he visits, places where they abuse poultry, fishing boats... In one episode was on a boat and they were pulling up semi-deep water fish. The poor things literally turned inside out on their way up, not being able to 'decompress' and all. It's so sad. He just laughs it off and moves on. Heh.

I guess my point is that Mike Rowe probably doesn't give two fucks about animals...it kinda sucks to watch. I'm another one of those 'rabid animal lovers'. Was that KFLL who said that? Hehe...rabid. Then again, I eat meat. I can't bring myself not to eat meat, it just doesn't work for me. I just hate to see the modern processess. It's gross and disgusting. I think I'm gonna pay attention to the preview next time and not watch it if there's any meat processing or any dirty job involving animals. It's too upsetting.
I also love animals, but I also am a fan of meat-eating. I've seen videos and photos of the kinds of things animals endure in slaughterhouses, and I know that random animal parts end up in ground meats. I know all this stuff and while it churns my stomach, I still love eating meat. Hell, I almost feel bad eating veal knowing it's the meat of a blind calf.

In terms of making my own meat dishes, I am totally an oddball. I get sick to the point of nearly fainting when I have to skin chicken...last time I did this, I almost threw up into the casserole dish I had by me. Needless to say, when I buy chicken now, I spend the extra few bucks to get boneless, skinless chicken. But when I make burgers, I often am having so much fun kneading and playing with the ground turkey that I forget to actually put it in the skillet and cook it. grinning smiley
i am a carnivore for the most part.. the rarer the meat the better.. i would eat it raw but for the health reason..

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
I don't eat meat. Well, maybe human babies but not real meat. :baybie1
Hi Seacreature! Yep, that was me!! LOL

I think Mike Rowe needs to start having a little compassion for the animals and related-animal things he encounters. If kids are writing to him, it's clear they're watching, and by him showing a little respect just might rub off on the little assholes.

Ya know, call me weird, but I'd have no problem watching that shit if it were human bodies, but when animals are involved, I just go off the deep end.
KidFreeLuvnLife
Hi Seacreature! Yep, that was me!! LOL

I think Mike Rowe needs to start having a little compassion for the animals and related-animal things he encounters. If kids are writing to him, it's clear they're watching, and by him showing a little respect just might rub off on the little assholes.

Ya know, call me weird, but I'd have no problem watching that shit if it were human bodies, but when animals are involved, I just go off the deep end.

Ditto. That said, I'd fuck the taste right outta his mouth. that is all.
AAAAAH!!!!!! Damn, so would I.

Rose Red

waving hellolarious Yea...I'd like to do 'dat, too... Heeeee...blushing

Yes, KFLL! I could look at dead people and babies on rotten.com...but seeing dead animals upsets me to no end. That's why I couldn't handle Faces of Death or whatever that was. They showed horrible things happening to animals, I can't handle it.

And Cambion...I'm with you on the chicken skin...BLEECCH! But I DO love squishing a meatloaf together! That was one thing my mom always had me do when I'd help her in the kitchen. "Honey, wanna squeeze the meatloaf?" "YEAAHH!!" I was a very weird kid... Ah, but you guys understand!
OMG, Mike Rowe...hubba hubba...!!..blushing
Seacreature
I guess my point is that Mike Rowe probably doesn't give two fucks about animals...it kinda sucks to watch. I'm another one of those 'rabid animal lovers'. Was that KFLL who said that? Hehe...rabid. Then again, I eat meat. I can't bring myself not to eat meat, it just doesn't work for me. I just hate to see the modern processess. It's gross and disgusting. I think I'm gonna pay attention to the preview next time and not watch it if there's any meat processing or any dirty job involving animals. It's too upsetting.

I think the workers just get desensitized to it. If the critter is dead once it gets to you, all it is is something to cut up into appealing portions of meat. Now, the person whose job it is to kill the animal .... errr, I confess to not understanding that mindset. This is a sentient being whose life you are getting ready to snuff out via a large air gun or chopping blade. But maybe the person who does that is able to just zone it out. I mean, if you see the Sarah Palin turkey video, the guy behind her, bleeding the turkeys, looks like he probably whistles while he works and was told to can it so as to not override the sound on her video :cool

Back to Mike Rowe, if you thought his reaction to cattle butchering was macabre, look at how he handles the other end of the life cycle: inseminating turkeys! Mike Rowe - Turkey Jizzer

Myself - meat lover, animal lover, realist. I live in the country and am surrounded by animals that I might see on my plate next year. In the spring, I delight in seeing the new Boer goat kids bouncing around the pasture, the newborn calves nuzzling their mothers for milk .... but I know and accept that they will disappear in a few months or next year, destined to be a Mignon or steak on someone's plate.
KidFreeLuvnLife

Yeah..and that goes for the people working the jobs he encounters, too...sometimes he's just a bit too cavalier with comments like (as with dump trash sorting guy) "But nobody should work this job..." and I saw the worker's face fall a little. Hey, if the sorting guy's doing an honest day's work he's as good as anyone. Mike Rowe has one of the best and most interesting jobs in television IMO...mebbe he should keep his wonderful humor but tone down any slams on the jobs of those who haven't been quite so fortunate as him.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login