Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

vacation/travel brochures

Posted by CF-europe 
CF-europe
vacation/travel brochures
May 14, 2006
It might conflict with your personal lifestyle but nudist beaches or nudist holiday destinations are pretty childfree. At the most only a handfull of toddlers, nothing older then 10 or 11 becaus then they don't wanna go anymore with mom and dad, wonder why lol. Also, the parents never let their tolders wander off (might be nudists are better parents, might be the parenths just pay better attention to their children because there are lots of naked people around, don't know)
So for a good CF holiday destination, go nude!!
Re: vacation/travel brochures
May 14, 2006
I've watched a few shows regarding nudist colonies. I was surprised to read how many families own apartments, cabins, or homes on these properties. The children do seem better behaved. The teenagers of both genders do not have the sexual issues as the "textile people" (nudist terms for clothed people) have. Sexual assaults are not as common at nudist colonies as in the "real" world. Pedophiles do try to be a part of these communities; however, people are screened and only allowed as "day visitors" for most nudist colonies for quite some time before being allowed to buy or rent a home.
Sherz
May 14, 2006
At least those brochures give fair warning of what you would have to put up with if you visited their destination. My husband and I tend to try to visit places that children would consider boring, sometimes that still doesn't help! Going places during the week, rather than a weekend getaway helps cut down on the sprogs. This summer my husband and I went on a little 3 day trip (Tues.-Thurs.) to a mountain resort that is also a conference center. It was great because the majority of people there were mostly business people. The pool wasn't sprog infested. The only time I heard the annoying sound of a baby crying was one night at dinner, but this family must have just been there for dinner and not staying in the resort. Hope you find someplace nice!
Boogie Man
May 14, 2006
Here's a childfree idea:http://www.ecruise.co.uk/shipdet.php?id=178
Anonymous User
May 14, 2006
Catdaddy and I visited the Moosehead Lake region of Maine last summer, and we enjoyed it very much. It's not especially breeder-friendly, because there are no amusement parks and such, as you would see along the southern Maine seacoast. This is a place for nature/outdoorsy stuff, something which many breeders and brats do not appreciate.

It's not 100% brat-free. Whatever you do, do NOT stay at a place called The Birches. We had to go there for the moose safari (where they take you out on a pontoon boat to see moose; that's the main reason we went there, because I wanted to see a moose). Near where the moose boat was, they had a shitload of cabins, all occupied by the Breedersons and their screaming brats.

When I made reservations for the moose safari, I was asked if I wanted to also make reservations for dinner afterwards, at the restaurabt ob the property. I opted not to, wanting to make dining decisions when we got there.

And it was a damned good thing I didn't! We'd had a couple of beers in this place before the boat trip...it was something like 3PM and the place was quiet. We thought, maybe we could eat here afterwards, if they have a table.

But when we returned from the trip, we had to pee, so we went in the restaurant to use the restrooms. And the place was INFESTED with breeders and obnoxious sproggen. We were more than happy to go elsewhere.

We stayed in Greenville, which is a little town right on the south end of the lake. The Birches is a bit of a hike from Greenville, and we found that the Breedersons pretty much stayed at that end, and seldom came into town.

If you go, you MUST stay at the Pleasant Street Inn. http://www.pleasantstinn.com/ No sprogs under 14 are allowed...in fact, we saw no one under 21 there at all! If you want quiet, this is the place for you. The innkeepers are the nicest guys, and the breakfasts are to die for!

Also, you have to go to a place called The Black Frog...an easy walk from the Inn. http://www.theblackfrog.com/bf_home.html This place is so much fun! Just look at the menu!

When we were there, it said on the menu that anyone who was willing to skinnydip in the lake (the back of this place opens out onto a pier on the lake, easily viewable from the atrium and the bar areas), in full view, would get the *Misteak on the Lake* sandwich for free.

I don't think they expected anyone to take them up in this, but one night, someone did. Three someones, actually...two women and a guy. And we saw it all...the full monty. Everyone thought that this was funny...and there were no breeders were around to scream and cover Snotleigh's eyes so that s/he would not have to see...horrors...NUDITY!

Yep, folks are definitely less uptight there, than they are in your Sanitized Breeder Vacation Resort!

We had fun up there, and I hope we can go back soon!
CFBoston
May 14, 2006
You all really came through! Thanks to everyone for the suggestions - they are very much appreciated!
I'm not sure we would attempt the nudist vacation though! winking smiley
I agree with you Sherz. Visiting tourist destinations during the week definitely cuts down on the amount of children. We had gone to the National Aquarium in Baltimore on the Saturday before Memorial Day last year, and I don't know what we were thinking. (There was also a game at Camden Yards that day too). We'll go back after the construction on the aquarium is completed - during the week though! (I also heard that the science museum in Baltimore is a must see). A conference center is a great suggestion, and I never would have thought of it - thank you so much!
"The most intimate ship in the P&O fleet, Artemis beautifully recreates an authentic cruising experience. Charming, friendly, comfortable and child-free, she features all the reassuring comforts of home." Key word here is "child-free!" We have always wanted to go on a cruise as well - neither of us have ever been. Thanks BM!
catmommy9 - Since we live in MA, this is a great suggestion for a long weekend trip - thanks!

I agree with what Catmommy said about inns. Many inns and B&Bs do not allow guests under age 14 or 15, so you're guaranteed time away from brats.

DH and I like to find inns and B&Bs that are off the beaten path when we travel. When we went to Boston a few years ago, we stayed at a small B&B in an ethnic neighborhood on the outskirts of the city. This was the neighborhood where DH's father grew up in the 1940s and 50s.

We did have to take the subway to get to downtown Boston, but we didn't mind the short ride because the neighborhood itself had character and lots of great little restaurants. Our B&B didn't allow children, and we were the only guests when we were there, so we had a peaceful stay. The only children we saw during the week were children who lived in the neighborhood, and they were in school most of the time, since we were in Boston in mid-September.

Which leads to another idea for avoiding children when you go on vacation - go in September instead of during the summer if you possibly can.

For the last few years, we've scheduled our vacations for mid- to late-September. Rates on inns and hotels and some tourist attractions drop after Labor Day. And families with children don't usually vacation in mid- to late-September, since many children are in school and/or are busy with soccer games and other activities that start in September. Many schools do have "fall break" now, but that's not usually until October.

DH and I went to New Hampshire's White Mountains and lakes region for vacation two years ago, and the only other tourists we saw were tour groups of retired people, plus a few other couples without children like us. The little motels where we stayed were practically deserted, and the motel and restaurant owners really welcomed us because business is usually very slow between Labor Day and the start of the ski season. We've also gone to the Grand Canyon in September, during the week instead of on a weekend, and not been overwhelmed by crowds.

Sherz
May 15, 2006
CFBoston, The Maryland Science Museum is nice, but I will warn you it is very child oriented, and full of sprogs on field trips! I've taken students there on trips,and my group wasn't the only one there. The aquarium is really nice. I've been there several times. The very best time I went was the weekend before Christmas a few years ago. Everyone was Christmas shopping, and the aquarium was practically empty.
I have to agree about timing the vacation properly. I went on a driving vacation last year through S. Dakota to Devils Tower in Wyoming on the week after Labor day. There were lots of places that during the summer would probably be sprog hell - Mt. Rushmore, Wall Drug...what have you, but were completely sprog free. The campgrounds I stayed at were also sprogless.
Anonymous User
May 15, 2006
I also agree with Sherz about doing some trips during the week. Catdaddy and I are baseball fans, and we like to go to Cooperstown, NY every year.

But we will probably NEVER go during Hall of Fame Induction Weekend, or ANY time during the summer, as I hear that sprog infestation is at its highest then. Instead, we go in October.

But this year, we will NOT stay over Columbus Day weekend again. Sadly, it is impossible to find a CF B&B or inn anywhere within walking distance of the Hall of Fame and stuff. There is a place we like and have always stayed at, the Cooperstown Bed & Breakfast http://cooperstownbandb.com but last year, it really sucked. They had booked out the whole house, except for the room on the ground floor, for a group coming into town for a wedding. Little did we know that there were many, many young sprogs involved. And they were very obnoxious sprogs, at that. We could not enjoy any of the common areas of the house because they were there, jumping all over the furniture, shrieking, and hogging the TV. I would not even come out for breakfast most days because I could not stand the noise. And we could still hear the noise from our room.

Usually, this place is pretty quiet.

Other than that, we really like this inn, and the innkeepers, but never again will we go over any holiday weekend. This year, we will drive out on the Sunday before the Sunday before Columbus Day, and leave before the holiday weekend famblees come into town.

Besides, you NEVER want to go the Hall of Fame on any weekend, unless you like getting mowed down by SUV strollers.
May 17, 2006
The absolute worst Breeder Hell is Ocean City, New Jersey. Their brochures ALWAYS feature sprogs.

Unfortunately for me, it's also my favorite place on Earth, because I used to go there with my Mom and Grandma all the time for our Summer Vacation. (But, see, I was very well-behaved as a child.)
CFBoston
May 18, 2006
Medusa: We both love the New Jersey shore as well. My gf is from Verona, and my mom from Hainesport. My mom grew up going to Wildwood, and my gf, Cape May. Strong ties to the area.
My girl and I went to Cape May on the Saturday after Thanksgiving last year when all the Victorian homes were decorated for the season. We also climbed the 200 steps to the top of the lighthouse - the view is incredible on a clear day! AND (the best part) it was so cold that day - no kids! winking smiley
Sherz: Thank you for the heads up on the Maryland Science Museum. We had wanted to see the Titanic Expo there while visiting over Memorial Day last year, but we couldn't get close to the exhibits in the aquarium because of the kids pushing and shoving, so we didn't even attempt it.
KidFreeLuvnLife
May 18, 2006
SO and I LOVE Provincetown, Massachusetts. Nothing but childfree couples, gay and hetero, and NO BRATS!!!!
Anonymous User
May 21, 2006
Catdaddy and I have decided to not take a long vacation this summer, but to do several shorter trips. We are going back to the place at Moosehead Lake, the Pleasant Street Inn http://www.pleasantstinn.com that I mentioned several posts back.

I am excited about this, as it will be QUIET. One of the innkeepers told me that the weekend AFTER the July 4 weekend is especially slow, as most of the sheeple will have already spent all of their money by then. So I booked us for a long weekend, July 7-11.

Something new this year: packages that can include a moose safari. As opposed to having to drive all the way to the breeder/brat infested Birches resort, now they have a guide who will come to pick us up by van about half a block away from the inn. We will be driven to some remote pond where moose hang out, and we'll then go by canoe to see them. These trips accept only 6-8 people, and I'm pretty sure that small sprogs aren't allowed, considering how easy it would be for them to fall out of a canoe by jumping around and all. Who needs that kind of lawsuit bullshit?

We'll also take the Katahdin lake cruise again http://www.katahdincruises.com/ . That boat was nearly sprog-free when we were on it last year, and they let you bring your own beer on board.

The breakfasts at this place, as I said before, are to die for. They do dinners on request, with advance notice. We didn't do this last year, because we'd not been there before and were not sure what to expect. But now that we know what the place is like, we booked a dinner for this trip. This is NOT cheap...something like $40 per person...but it will be yummy and quiet and GUARANTEED TO BE SPROG-FREE! How many times have any of you gone to a nice restaurant with a date, spouse, or other s/o, spent some good bucks for a nice meal, only to have it ruined by the Breedersons? Happens all the time, but not THIS time!

And of course, we look forward to visiting the Black Frog again. Maybe we'll see more nekkid people jumping into the lake...LOL!

Now, if I can toot my own horn a little...my big hobby is rubber-stamping and other papercrafting. A craft magazine I read. Scrap & Stamp Arts, was looking for African themed cards for publication. The room we stayed in at the Pleasant Street in was called *the Safari Room*. Click here: http://www.pleasantstinn.com/Pages/PSI-Rooms.html , scroll down to *tour Room 6* and you'll see what it loks like.

Anyway, I made five different African cards that were inspired by that room, and sent them to the magazine. And they published THREE of them!

Page One:
Page Two:
The full spread:

I send these links to the innkeepers, and they told me that not only would they like a copy of the magazine, but they would like to keep it in that room...with a little note from me explaining how the room inspired the cards. How cool is that?

Finally, a PSA to anyone who might be considering going to this place. Do NOT go between now and June 17! The town of Greenville is having some *Moose Mainea* famblee festival crap during this time. From what I gather, it's about the same time every year, so keep this in mind. Although the sprogs can't stay at the Pleasant Street Inn, they will likely be all over the little downtown for this thing, and you can forget about peace at any restaurant.

It's probably nowhere near as bad as the more heavily populated tourist places in Maine, but we still prefer to avoid breeders and sprogs as much as possible.

Especially if we are driving a long way to get away from the ones around here!

I am SO looking forward to this trip! smiling smiley
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.