Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Fury as High Street pharmacy offers bulk-buy morning-after pill

Posted by Anonymous User 
Daily Mail

Women can bulk buy the morning-after pill over the internet from today - but critics claim it will promote promiscuity and encourage risky sex.

Visitors to Lloyds Pharmacy's online store will be able to buy up to three emergency contraceptive tablets without seeing a doctor or pharmacist.

The company says the move will allow women to stockpile the drug at home to use when their normal contraception fails, or after they have had unplanned and unprotected sex.

It insists it will do 'everything it can' to ensure the drug is not sold to girls under 18, but can only ask customers to promise not to pass the pills on to a friend or family member.

Campaigners said the easy availability of emergency contraception would encourage women to have unprotected sex, safe in the knowledge that they could pop a pill from their bathroom cabinet the next day.

Dr Peter Saunders, of the Christian Medical Fellowship, accused Lloyds of putting profits above women's health.

'It's is extraordinary and reckless,' he said. 'If you think there's the option of emergency contraception, it will encourage you to have unprotected sex and that will fuel the epidemic of sexually transmitted diseases.'

The morning-after pill, often sold by the brand name Levonelle, contains a high dose of the hormone progestogen. It has to be taken within 72 hours of unprotected sex, and is most effective within 24 hours.

It is available free from GPs, family planning centres, hospital casualty departments and young people's clinics. It can also be bought from pharmacists without the need for a doctor's prescription.

Under the existing rules, women have to ask for the pill directly from a doctor or pharmacist - an uncomfortable interview that may act as a deterrent to promiscuous behaviour, say critics.

Tory MP Nadine Dorries said the move by Lloyds could increase women's risk of sexually transmitted disease.

'It is creating a more laissez faire attitude to sex because they have a stockpile at home - and that could increase the risks of disease,' she said. 'I am in favour of the morning-after pill as a way of reducing the number of abortions, but I am uneasy about this scheme.'

The pill works by stopping ovulation, preventing fertilisation or by stopping a newly fertilised egg from implanting in the womb. Although doctors

and the courts say the morning-after pill is a form of contraceptive, some pro-life campaigners argue it is a form of early abortion.

Lloyds is the first major pharmacy chain to offer the morning-after pill before women have had unprotected sex. It is selling a single pill for £28, a pack of two for £52 and three for £75. Clare Kerr, head of clinical services, said: 'Time is of the essence with the morningafter pill.

'The treatment is up to 95 per cent effective when taken a day after sex, but that reduces to 85 per cent in the following 24 hours and dips to 58 per cent after 48 hours. Our pharmacists tell us that many women are unaware of the fact that effectiveness reduces.'

When applying for the pill, women fill in a medical questionnaire which is then passed to a GP service for approval. Women have to apply by credit or debit card and the drugs will only be sent to the card holder' address. They have to confirm they are 18 and over, and that the pill is intended for them, but there are no checks.

The online service is the first time a major high street chain has guaranteed that women can buy three pills online.

Labour MP Geraldine Smith said it took Britain closer to the era of abortion on demand. 'I think there's a difference between contraception and the morning-after pill which is abortion in the extremely early stages,' she said. 'If you make it very easy to get hold of these pills then it's something you do without a second thought.'

Rebecca Findlay of the Family Planning Association however welcomed the move.

She said: 'It shouldn't be used as a regular method of contraception, but just as women have headache tablets in case they get a headache, they will have emergency contraception available at home.'
Re: Fury as High Street pharmacy offers bulk-buy morning-after pill
March 23, 2009
What a great idea! It will save a lot of women stress and sleepless nights.
March 23, 2009
What a great idea, whose time has come! Think of all the stress and sleepless nights it will cure! This pharmacy is ahead of its time. Why should women be made to feel ashamed to buy something that will help to lead productives lives? (no pun intended!)
March 23, 2009
no one listens to "Dr Peter Saunders, of the Christian Medical Fellowship, accused Lloyds of putting profits above women's health"

and nadine dorres mp is an idiot

http://blog.dorries.org/blog.aspx

http://www.dorries.org.uk/Default.aspx

her email address

dorriesn@parliament.uk

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein

Women can bulk buy the morning-after pill over the internet from today - but critics claim it will promote promiscuity and encourage risky sex.

Because the alternative is a much better idea. eye rolling smiley
March 23, 2009
Just more RR bullshit to want to punish women for refusing to live their lives the way the RR THINKS they ought to. Yanno, you have sex you should be punished for doing so by having to carry a parasite to term and have your life ruined. I think Lloyd's idea is a blessing to the ladies everywhere. More power to 'em!
Most doctors tell women to keep a "back up" contraception method. This includes plan B. It's considered a good health practice to keep plan B around just in case. I don't see a problem here.

If plan B is considered abortion, then women's bodies abort all the time. Many women have fertilized eggs not implant in them and go through their system naturally.
March 23, 2009
http://www.bloggerheads.com/archives/2008/05/10_reasons_not_to_trust_nadine_dorries.asp

theres some more readings about her

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2008/may/19/women.gender

(In more than 30% of domestic violence cases, the abuse started during pregnancy.)an interesting fact from last may.

could it be som of those men didnt want a child..and couldnt find a way to say it..(not that i am condoning it,but its an interesting question)

*********************************************************************************************************************************

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
Wah wah wah. Seriously?

1. One shot of these things cost 28 quid? It's not like people are going to be scarfing them like M & M's at that price.
2. Speaking from experience - the morning after pill can screw you over royally. It's months before all your hormones get back into whack. These are not the sort of thing that you want to be messing with any more than you have to.
3. An emergency contraceptive in the cupboard is a bloody sight cheaper than an unwanted social problem.

Holy shit, people are stupid.
March 23, 2009

'It's is extraordinary and reckless,' he said. 'If you think there's the option of emergency contraception, it will encourage you to have unprotected sex and that will fuel the epidemic of sexually transmitted diseases.'

No, you stupid ass, it will prevent pregnancies. You never hear of this right to lifers offering to adopt or care for these unwanted pregnancies.

- The human gene pool could use a little chlorine
I have seen a Plan-B type product available all over Europe in drugstores, grocery stores and even convenience shops. Why does the UK have to put up such a fuss? For Gawd's sake, Plan-B should be made available to any woman that needs it at a government subsidized cheap price. A few Euros/Pounds/Dollars is a lot cheaper than trying to raise a resource-wasting shitloaf.
March 23, 2009
but more births means more beleivers, abnd more tax. (it doesnt make sense but thats what they link things too)_

March 23, 2009
What's this? PROGRESS?! Let's see how long it takes the head-in-the-sanders to fuck it up. I hope they don't. Really, the worst STD you can ever get is pregnancy.
Seacreature
What's this? PROGRESS?! Let's see how long it takes the head-in-the-sanders to fuck it up. I hope they don't. Really, the worst STD you can ever get is pregnancy.

Your post promted me to google "pregnancy is an STD", and apparently, it's a song! A funny one, at that! You can find the lyrics here. I'll post them on here, though.

Bulging stomach, stretchy skins

Babies born with dorsal fins

Drunk teens, anal tears

Pregnant women falling down stairs

Your mom is drunk and loose!

Eat my pill or eat my gat

Ill slap you with my golden strap

Filthy sex drunken stupor

should have jazzed in her pooper

Pregnancy is an STD!

Drinkin' Gin and blackin' out

suckin' clit that tastes like trout

Ludes and Acid Triamenic,

rides to the abortion clinic

You were an accident!

I got a cure for this disease,

Say 'kick me in the stomach please'

All you want now is my cash!

Because I slipped a load in your monster gash!

Pregnancy is an STD!
March 23, 2009

Bulging stomach, stretchy skins

Babies born with dorsal fins

Drunk teens, anal tears

Pregnant women falling down stairs

Your mom is drunk and loose!

Eat my pill or eat my gat

Ill slap you with my golden strap

Filthy sex drunken stupor

should have jazzed in her pooper

Pregnancy is an STD!

Drinkin' Gin and blackin' out

suckin' clit that tastes like trout

Ludes and Acid Triamenic,

rides to the abortion clinic

You were an accident!

I got a cure for this disease,

Say 'kick me in the stomach please'

All you want now is my cash!

Because I slipped a load in your monster gash!

Pregnancy is an STD!

BWAAAHHH!!!!waving hellolarious That is GREAT! Thank you!
How many centuries is it going to take till society stops feeling the need to punish women for having sex?
'Cause if you ask me, that's what all this uproar is about.
It's an interesting idea, punishing women for having sex. These are the kind of people who believe that men have a right to sex. So if all he women who have sex are punished for it, then who are the men going to have sex with? This raises an even more interesting question- Do these people think that the only 'sex' women should be having is being raped? But then they blame the women for that, too. shrug
AngryReptileKeeper
These are the kind of people who believe that men have a right to sex. So if all he women who have sex are punished for it, then who are the men going to have sex with? This raises an even more interesting question- Do these people think that the only 'sex' women should be having is being raped? But then they blame the women for that, too. shrug

DING DING DING we have a winner!!!!
March 24, 2009
Shmonster
How many centuries is it going to take till society stops feeling the need to punish women for having sex?
'Cause if you ask me, that's what all this uproar is about.

That was my exact reaction to this article, too.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login