Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Abortion & Religion

Posted by Anonymous User 
Re: Abortion & Religion
March 26, 2009
str8six
Everyone here knows I'm a Christian. Whatever you choose to believe or not believe in is your own business. However, I do find it ironic that (since most here are not Christians), you purposefully leave out the letter 'o' in God (Muslamah), or how you [also] disrespect Christian beliefs by typing the word God backwards or calling it a 'myth'. That is the same disrespect you're referring to regarding the disrespect of the belief, or non-belief, of your choice. It's not a one-way street. I've never read here where someone wrote: "Pa-an", or "Ju-ism" or "Mu-lim". You act as though if you type the whole word out, or properly, you're somehow going to wake up the next day and be a Christian!

I just want to point out one thing: *I* have never EVER disrespected ANY belief or non-belief of ANYONE here, calling them stupid or dumb, and I don't intend to start. Yet I have to constantly hear most on this forum incessantly bashing and degrading a religion I believe in. But I don't complain about it because my beliefs are solid and unequivocal. I guess that's why it doesn't bother me.

My understanding is that omitting the o in God is, to observant Jews at least, a sign of respect and humility, because a mere human is not worthy to utter a name that holy. Hence you see Jews spelling that name "G-d." Don't know if that is true for Muslims as well.

I have been guilty of typing God as doG and slamming Christianity. However, this is similar to the "autistic--awwtistic" debate. There are many good Christians like str8six who don't seem to impose their own beliefs on others, and I liked str8six's saying "I love God--it's His followers I can't stand" (paraphrased). For such folks, their belief enriches their life and guides them to be good people. This is analogous to the term "autistic" being used for people suffering from a genuine disability--no disrespect is intended.

Then there are those self-called Christians who show up at the funerals of soldiers to inform the grieving family that "God hates fags," or bomb innocent workers at an abortion clinic, or pass state-wide laws that restrict the lives of those who may not be Christian. Those are the only believers I have an issue with, and who irritate me to the point of mocking their seemingly hypocritical religion with sometimes childish epithets like "doG," out of frustration and indignation. This is analogous to the term "awwtistic" being used for "fake" diagnoses of probably normal kids whom the parents just aren't dealing with properly--it's a mocking term, because the mockery is warranted.

As an atheist, I have every right to believe as I wish just as Christians do. If I think Christianity is a myth, as I do, I'm not going to sell my beliefs short or lie--I have a right to express my opinion--just as Christians do, in line with their beliefs. There are no sacred cows, atheism included--we have certainly come under our share of invective, and a complete lack of respect from some believers. That's OK with me--I have my own life to live and I am confident in my beliefs, just like str8six. Just as I don't expect believers to muffle their freedom of speech by tiptoeing around the topic of atheism out of "respect," I don't have to either about religion, else I'd be selling myself short and compromising my freedom to say what I want.

In the meantime I think we can all continue discussions without bristling at any perceived slight to one's belief or non-belief. Like str8six said, if you're confident in your own beliefs, the remarks of others don't affect you. That's true in my case at least.

That's my tediously heavy and tiresome post for the day, anyways. Time to lighten up now and go make some carbonara.

Edited: whoopsie, Muslimah beat me to the Jewish usage detail.
Anonymous User
March 26, 2009
I don't remember asking for an apology Muslimah. And by the way, you're welcome for your right to speak, worship and believe as you please.

Great post clem, and I concur Thank you
March 27, 2009
st8six, I am no expert on Islam, but I do know that pious Jews do the same, writing the word as G-d, not out of disrespect but because the tradition is that to write the full name out is to show disrespect.

I don't care if Christians write whatever, but I will not sell my beliefs short either.

BTW, pagan was a word used in the Roman Empire, calling those who still worshipped the Gods and Goddesses, many of whom lived in the country "Pagan", a perjorative that would roughly translate as "hick". Those who worship the Gods and Goddesses have reclaimed the name as not something to be ashamed of, but in pride in what they believe.
March 27, 2009
pagan was any other faith that the romans didnt like.. its like saying everyone who doesnt worship christianity are pagans, because there is only 1 god. i am simplifying, i know this because my brother has a degree in ancient history, relating more to the roman era than any other. i will get him to explain it as a scholar does.

(and note i dont use the capital form), JHVH, Names have power, i dont beleive in GODS and GODESSES, so for me they have a little g, because there are so many out there, if you read small gods by terry pratchett. its eye opening if a little humourous.

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
March 27, 2009
Muslimah
Sanguinius
I can see a storm coming... lurking

No storms. I do not have time for bull$#it. If the person has issue with me, there is the PM feature. I will not fight it out here. I posted my one post to that person and that is it. I have a life of my own than to fight with someone online.

i hope you realize that if you are a Muslim or if you become a Muslim, then you change your religion, you automatically go to hell, no questions asked

If yer dumb enough to believe in hell.
March 27, 2009
Muslimah
str8six

Leaving the "o" out of G-d was never a disrespect or fear of Christianity. I am not afraid of your faith or fear I will become one. If a person is happy with the faith s/he is in, that is his/her business. In many faiths, the name of G-d is not spelled out...including Orthodox Judaism. I am not going to say I am sorry because I was the same way when typing out Hare Krsna instead of "Krishna" as that is common with them as well.

my father, a conservative Jew, left the "o" out of God because he felt it was wrong to write the Lord's name.
March 27, 2009
Rose Red
Muslimah
Sanguinius

No storms. I do not have time for bull$#it. If the person has issue with me, there is the PM feature. I will not fight it out here. I posted my one post to that person and that is it. I have a life of my own than to fight with someone online.

i hope you realize that if you are a Muslim or if you become a Muslim, then you change your religion, you automatically go to hell, no questions asked

That's right; Muslims (and Catholics) "believe" in hell.

Are you calling Ms. Muslimah "dumb"?
March 27, 2009
Nope. Just stating that I don't believe in hell. You want a fight, sign in.
March 27, 2009
Rose Red
Nope. Just stating that I don't believe in hell. You want a fight, sign in.

I am signed in. Can't you tell? Try reading.
March 27, 2009
Rose Red
Muslimah
Sanguinius

That's right; Muslims (and Catholics) "believe" in hell.

Are you calling Ms. Muslimah "dumb"?

Rose is not calling me "dumb"...LOL! She is a friend of mine. While I believe there is some sort of payment for bad actions, I honestly believe "hell" is other people in this life.
Anonymous User
March 27, 2009
MerlynHerne
Those who worship the Gods and Goddesses have reclaimed the name as not something to be ashamed of, but in pride in what they believe.

I'm not ashamed, but when asked what my religion is, I often get this really fucked up look when I say, "Pagan." This is especially an issue in workplaces or when being introduced to people for the first time. And, really, it's none of anyone's business to ask about religious status. I got a kick out of J.D. Salinger's "Catcher in the Rye" when Holden Caulfield said, "Catholics are always trying to find out if you're Catholic." Tongue-in-cheek humor. I mean no disrespect, by the way.

I just wish that there would be less of the whole fear stigma about Paganism. True story, I shit you not: about ten years ago I drove down to Cairo, IL (a "bible-belt" in southern IL) to visit with a friend. She and I went to the local bar to have a few drinks and play some darts. Two guys walked in and wanted to play against us. One of them noticed my pentacle and started to back away from me (think Vampire movies.) He then approached my friend, pulled her to the side and said, "You shouldn't be a-hangin' around with that heathen - she's a worshipper of the Devil, that's why she's wearin' that star-thing around her neck." My friend, bless her dear heart, said, "No, asshole, you've got it wrong! She is NOT a Satanist. She happens to be one of my best friends and one of the nicest folks you could ever know. Don't disrespect something you know nothing about." The two guys wound up leaving the bar - I guess they were askeered that I wuz gunna put a Satanic curse on them or something. Jerks.

This is why, though I am proud to be Pagan, I tend to be careful. I don't HIDE my pentacle, but I do fear the bigotry, not to mention the mentality and what some people might be capable of doing. Down in Southern IL, I was kind of scared because they're still in that mentality and mindset that anything that's different is bad. Hell, they freely use the "N word" when referring to black people - a word in which I adamantly detest.

People can believe what they want to believe, but my opinion is that if you don't understand something, don't disrespect it. Also, don't look me in the face and say, "I don't believe in that shit." It just pisses me off on so many levels and honestly, it turns me off from Christianity all the more.
Anonymous User
March 27, 2009
Rose, I don't believe in hell either, for the record. I like to use the word hell for being stuck in a gridlock for two hours on the Dan Ryan during rush hour. waving hellolarious
March 27, 2009
That is horrible, maidentheusa! I always loved the pentacle for what it represents. Five-pointed stars are on so many things. Most police officers have the same symbol but different meaning for their fraternal order groups. I looked into paganism but it was not for me but I enjoy the imagery and being around pagans. It is scary to have to deal with bigotry while refusing to hide who you are as a person. I wore headcoverings long before I returned to Islam but I am not dumb enough to think the rest of the world is enlightened. I get looks at Wal-Mart at times and one group I go to is not keen on anything non-Christian. Even a Jewish man felt he had to hide his Star of David for a long time.
March 27, 2009
maidentheusa
Rose, I don't believe in hell either, for the record. I like to use the word hell for being stuck in a gridlock for two hours on the Dan Ryan during rush hour. waving hellolarious

that there is worthy of some epic cussing.
Anonymous User
March 27, 2009
Muslimah, sadly, that was not the only situation whereas I was a victim of bigotry. There are many more stories, but I really found that particular situation to be very disturbing, not to mention frightening.

I have a few friends who get rattled when they see Muslim women with their head-coverings. I don't get all the fuss over it. If that is what your religion dictates you to do, that's the way it is. People get all bunged up over things that should not concern them.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login