Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Women at 30 'more likely to put relationships above career than a decade ago'

Posted by Anonymous User 
Daily Mail

Women approaching 30 might once have modelled themselves on the feisty, ambitious heroine of the film Working Girl - willing to do whatever it takes to get ahead in business.

But it seems today's 30-year-olds are more likely to get their inspiration from hopeless romantic Bridget Jones.

Finding a man and settling down is the top priority for two-thirds of women born in 1979, a survey has found.

The poll of 1,800 women approaching the milestone birthday found that 70 per cent considered it to be the right time to put their relationships and personal lives ahead of their careers.

More than 80 per cent said they thought it was the perfect age to get married.

But while love was a priority, only one in five of the women polled said they expected to be more attractive to the opposite sex, the Turning 30 report for Elle magazine found.

A third of the women thought they would more unappealing and the same proportion said entering their fourth decade 'filled them with dread'.

The survey bucks the trend of the past decade, which has seen women prioritise their career well into their thirties. This has led to a rise in women having their first child in their late 30s and early 40s.

The number of live births to mothers over 40 almost doubled between 1997 and 2007, from 12,914 to 25,350.

Avivah Wittenberg-Cox, author of Why Women Mean Business, said it was good to redefine goals. 'Women don't necessarily want to get to the top,' she said.

'They want to be excellent at everything they do, as mother, daughter, wife, girlfriend, professional and volunteer.'

Last year when Jennifer Love Hewitt was 29 she was quoted as saying: ‘I'm so excited!

‘It's my dream age. I don't know why but, literally, since my 12th birthday I've wanted to turn 30. There's nothing more graceful or elegant than the beauty of a female when she has figured out who she is.’

Ten years ago it was a different story with women making a conscious decision to put off settling down to concentrate on their professions.

‘I remember turning 30 and making a conscious decision to put off having children and settling down,’ said 40-year-old Jayne Laurier, an IT consultant director from Leeds.

‘I almost felt it was disloyal to even consider relationships and having a family. They were way down on my to-do list.’
Not at all surprised. I am 31 and my female age peers around me are either 1) married, no kids "yet"; 2) married with kids; 3) in a relationship with Baby Mamma Drama from the guy's ex; 4) single mom; or 5) gay. No one seems to be single or CF in my world. I love being in my thirties and have grown a lot since my twenties but still don't feel the urge to "grow up" and produce spawn like people told me I would my whole life.
I was pretty happy to be 30 with no strings attached. It's great to not have obligations that keep you from doing what you want.
And the third bear rolls over in the bed.eye rolling smiley

This generation is probably copying from ideal "models" rather than discovering who they really are, as usual. This means they're hurrying to live up to this ideal by getting into relationships so they can sprog before they're 40 or something.

If not, we have a whole generation of children with Down Syndrome on the way even as we speak.=P
Disclaimer: This DOES NOT pertain to CF women.

Sounds like feminism in reverse. Women say they want this and that. Seems to me women have no idea what they want. Majority have their minds shaped by media and wish to do what is "cool" at that point and time.
I think a lot of them know they aren't smart enough to use their brains to their advantage, so they use their pussies instead. All they have to do is trap some idiot and they are set.
Kaye
I think a lot of them know they aren't smart enough to use their brains to their advantage, so they use their pussies instead. All they have to do is trap some idiot and they are set.

But you see, idiots, too, are now starting to run on fumes. Bad economy demands hard work and valuable employees. Breeder idiot men usually do not work all that well, do not do a lot and cannot figure stuff out to save their buts. They are just not that good at working with anything other than their ejaculation duct.

They get let go with lay offs and cut backs. They cost more to insure too. So, many are now out of a job or work for less. End result is less cash for moos. Especially useless ones.

Ineptocracy (in-ep-toc'-ra-cy) - A system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety,
deserve neither liberty nor safety" ..... Ben Franklin

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants, it is the creed of slaves” ..... Paul Revere

“Sometimes the greatest evils are committed by the silence of good people” ..... Edmund Burke

So, if guns kill people, I suppose pencils misspell words, cars drive drunk, and spoons make people fat.
Tech- True, but a lot of pretty, dumb girls (think, trophy wives) breed with highly capable and intelligent men. These are the women I was thinking about when I wrote my post, once they trap Mr. Moneybags they are set for life.
Kaye
Tech- True, but a lot of pretty, dumb girls (think, trophy wives) breed with highly capable and intelligent men. These are the women I was thinking about when I wrote my post, once they trap Mr. Moneybags they are set for life.

Certainly. What I mean was there are fewer money bags to go around now. Many of them were in mortgage and banking, many are working for much less now. Those trophies will age as soon as plastic surgeries become less affordable. In fact, it's already is happening.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login