Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

1508 - discipline=fat kids

Posted by Nour 
Nour
1508 - discipline=fat kids
June 05, 2006
What a steaming pile of crap:

***In addition, if a parent demands that a child exercise, it may result in an aversion to exercise, it said.***

Gee, if anybody DEMANDED I do anything, I would naturally rebel. Wouldn't it be better if the parent SET AN EXAMPLE by exercising and eating a balanced diet? Guess what, breeders? If you don't give in and buy Fudgesicles and Doritos, then the kids can't eat them! More kids are unhealthy because the parunts allow them to be.
Re: discipline=fat kids
June 05, 2006
Wow - if I wasn't feeling like crap right now, I would have mustered up a laugh at that so-called study. My mother never disciplined me (well, wasn't allowed to) and I was obese up until I was 16.

"And living in a home with high expectations for self control but little sensitivity can be stressful, it added, and overeating can become "a stress response."

What a load of crap - since my mom couldn't spank me or strike me in any way to punish me, she could only scream at me. Being screamed at like you've just burned down your house and pissed on the ashes also produces "a stress response", which also can led to overeating. Just what we need - a "scientific reason" for parents to let their kids be shrieking hellcats.
June 05, 2006
i am big coz all my dads relatives were on the big side, its a genetic thing, my mums side men were always tall, there is a genetic component to being fat, thats ignored

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
Nour
June 05, 2006
I agree, merc. My great aunt is big as an ox, but doctors report that she's perfectly healthy. Normal cholesterol levels and all that. She's just big.
June 05, 2006
i am perfectly healthy and that scared my dr. blood pressure normal 1 point above, cholesterol, normal, everything normal.. wink.. i bet the doctors were shocked she was normal.. i know mine was..

*********************************************************************************************************************************

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
Re: 1508 - discipline=fat kids
June 05, 2006
My brother and I were disciplined as kids growing up, and all three of us are skinny minnies. We're not fat. This is another one of those studies that makes you wonder if the researcher did do a whole lot of researching, or there is bias.

lab mom
June 05, 2006
Nour Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I agree, merc. My great aunt is big as an ox, but
> doctors report that she's perfectly healthy.
> Normal cholesterol levels and all that. She's just
> big.

Yes, you'll also find plenty of skinny minnies who have the highest cholesterol. It's a proven fact. winking smiley smiling smiley grinning smiley DO NOT ever feal bad about bein' big. EVER.

lab mom
June 05, 2006
I have a hard time believing discipline has all that much to do with it, unless breeders are using excersise and healthy eating as punishment, and if that's the case, there's way bigger problems to be dealt with than Sprogford's weight. Simply deny a kid stuff, and more likely than not, they'll succumb to it when they're out of your influence. If you actually took the time and energy necessicary to teach the kid why they should excersise and eat right, and they'll be more likely to follow your advice, for the most part. Kind of like, eventually most people will have sex, it's more a matter of how much one knows before hand that determines how likely a person will be to get through it with no ill effects.
Fattie
June 05, 2006
mercurior Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i am perfectly healthy and that scared my dr.
> blood pressure normal 1 point above, cholesterol,
> normal, everything normal.. wink.. i bet the
> doctors were shocked she was normal.. i know mine
> was..

Actually, there have been studies done that show if a person is "fat" but eats right and excercises has better health than a person who is "skinny" but has a shitty diet and a non-existant exercise program.
As for the study claiming that discipline=fat kids, that's a load of crap. Like Merc, I come from a big family as well. In fact my grandmother and aunt both had their metabolisms tested and both of them were shown to have slower metabolisms compared to the general population. Mine is fast now due to the fact that I'm training for a trail 1/2 marathon this September.
Besides genetics, the other reason why I suspect kids are fat is because of LACK OF discipline. I'm addicted to "Honey We're Killing the Kids" on TLC (http://tlc.discovery.com//fansites/honey/honey.html). The reason why the sprogs ON THAT SHOW are overweight is because moo and duhd are too lazy to fix their sprogs real food and feed them overprocessed crap. Plus the sprogs "excercising" consists of using the remote for the TV and controller for the video games.

June 06, 2006
i know larger women dont suffer osteoporsis as bad as the thinner types, my aunt is always dieting she is in her late 60's and she is on pills for wieght, pills pills pills, and she has brittle bones,

i go off a little of what you fancy does you good, sometimes i like junk food, but i dont eat it all the time, thats just silly, i sometimes fancy watermelon, so i buy some.. and so on..

but there is a lot of instantaneous feeding in a lot of families.. processed food for breakfast, lunch and dinner, i dont eat much processed food, proper meals that are cooked, which i feel are healthier than all, these chemicals.

i knew i would never be thin, but that was ok, i was bullied about it, until they saw me bench press 600lbs with my arms, and over 800 with my legs and saw i was very strong too. then they started to leave me alone.. but a lot of the fat people the metabolism is different, one size does not fit all, but they are trying to make it so.

fattie you bring up a good point, i do exercise, ok not as often as i should as i have 2 broken ankles and when i walk i am in near constant pain, but.. i still exercise, (the breaks are hairline and they healed broken so instead of one bone stopping your ankle from going over theres now 2 so my ankles are bad and before anyone says its my weight i used to be thinner than i am now and i slipped on some mud and due to hospital incompetence they were never fixed).

we never had tv's in the room when i was a kid, or games, parents are using these things as baby sitters, its easier for something else to take care of and look after the kids, if the parents had to do it,then.. who would be to blame.. THEM not tv or games orwhatever

June 06, 2006
Fattie you are absolutely right. My dad's whole side of the family is thin and fit and appears to be the picture of health but in every branch of that family tree there is heart disease, stroke, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, cancer, and aneurysms.

I've also read that even if you have low cholesterol, you can still have a propensity to build up plaque on the walls of your arteries if you have a family history of vascular disease. The only way this can be detected is through an ultrasound.

The study on fat kids is total bullshit.
Lynn
June 06, 2006

>>Besides genetics, the other reason why I suspect kids are fat is because of LACK OF discipline. I'm addicted to "Honey We're Killing the Kids" on TLC (http://tlc.discovery.com//fansites/honey/honey.html). The reason why the sprogs ON THAT SHOW are overweight is because moo and duhd are too lazy to fix their sprogs real food and feed them overprocessed crap. Plus the sprogs "excercising" consists of using the remote for the TV and controller for the video games.<<

I can't stand that show because the so-called "nutritionist" is so clueless about what "healthy eating" is. She's always making the families eat tofu and wheatgrass, and it's too much for most people to go straight from eating overprocessed junk and fast food all the time to eating that stuff, which is too exotic for former fast-food junkies.

I want to shake that nutritionist and tell her that there is a happy medium - like lean, broiled or stir-fried chicken, beef or seafood with fresh vegetables, and fresh fruit for dessert. The trick is to eat food that is as close to its natural state as possible, which means avoiding packaged foods most of the time. You can still have tofu and wheatgrass if you like them (and I do have them occasionally), but you can also eat very healthy without ever having them.

I grew up eating non-processed food and very little fast food because my mother actually took the time to cook, and although I had a few years of eating canned stuff and boxed meals right after I graduated from college, I started cooking from scratch and returned to eating freshly prepared food about 12 years ago. I even started growing my own herbs for cooking.

I want to tell any Moo who claims she "doesn't have time" to cook that IT IS NOT HARD OR TIME CONSUMING to bake or grill lean chicken or fish, and slice and grill some vegetables at the same time. Or toss together some pasta with some grilled vegetables and add a few herbs and spices. Or stir-fry some beef, vegetables or shrimp. Or turn some lean ground beef or ground turkey into hamburger patties and grill them while you cut up fresh tomatoes to put on the hamburgers. I can make most of these meals in 30 minutes - less if I've already cut up the vegetables ahead of time. It's also not time-consuming to make your own soups and stews with fresh meats and vegetables if you use a crock pot.

As for exercise - parents set the example. My parents often told my sisters and me to "go outside and play" and they put a nice swing set in our large backyard so all of our friends came over to play with us. (Our home became a neighborhood hangout) We spent a lot of time outside playing, particularly in the summer when we were allowed to go outside after dinner and play before it got dark.

I think too many parents are lazy about making make their kids put down the TV remote or the video games and go outside and play - or maybe they're too fearful about their kids playing outside without their supervision (If that's the case, the kids can always stay in the fenced backyard).

Fortunately, that doesn't seem to be the case in my neighborhood. I see kids riding their bikes, walking around the neighborhood and playing in their front yards and in the park without any adults around - just as I did when I was a kid. Sometimes I think the fears about kids being abducted are just hysteria on the part of the parents and an excuse for them to not make their kids go outside and exercise.

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.