Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Owned, IVF Does Increase Genetic Risksyawning smiley

Posted by WaterLily 
Re: Owned, IVF Does Increase Genetic Risksyawning smiley
November 03, 2010
yurble
Just read http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-11673690 which reminded me of this topic.

Fertility problems in parents cannot explain why babies born through IVF treatment face a higher risk of cerebral palsy, say Danish scientists.

The University of Aarhus found babies of couples who struggled to conceive naturally had similar risks compared to those who conceived quickly.

But they found that the risk doubled in babies born with the help of IVF.

Other potential causes, such as the treatment itself, should be investigated, the scientists say.

UK experts said despite the low risk the issue needed to be taken seriously.

The safety of IVF and similar fertility treatments has been closely scrutinised since the first "test-tube baby" in the 1970s.

As the number of IVF babies rises, initial worries about developmental problems have faded, but there remain concerns over higher rates of cerebral palsy.

There are several possible reasons, including the increased risk of complications in multiple pregnancies, which until recently have been much more frequent in IVF pregnancies.

Doctors had also suspected that the underlying reasons for infertility might play a part, but the latest research casts doubt on that.

They don't people to know that deformed eggs may be the sole reason for the defected babies. If they let infertile know whats really going on, IVF docs would loose the mega $$$$$$$$$$$$$ they make off the infertile.

lab mom
November 04, 2010
Exactly. If the doctors did that, they'd be killing the goose that's laying the defective Golden eggs....
November 04, 2010
WaterLily
yurble
Just read http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-11673690 which reminded me of this topic.

Fertility problems in parents cannot explain why babies born through IVF treatment face a higher risk of cerebral palsy, say Danish scientists.

The University of Aarhus found babies of couples who struggled to conceive naturally had similar risks compared to those who conceived quickly.

But they found that the risk doubled in babies born with the help of IVF.

Other potential causes, such as the treatment itself, should be investigated, the scientists say.

UK experts said despite the low risk the issue needed to be taken seriously.

The safety of IVF and similar fertility treatments has been closely scrutinised since the first "test-tube baby" in the 1970s.

As the number of IVF babies rises, initial worries about developmental problems have faded, but there remain concerns over higher rates of cerebral palsy.

There are several possible reasons, including the increased risk of complications in multiple pregnancies, which until recently have been much more frequent in IVF pregnancies.

Doctors had also suspected that the underlying reasons for infertility might play a part, but the latest research casts doubt on that.

They don't want people to know that deformed eggs may be the sole reason for the defected babies. If they let infertile know whats really going on, IVF docs would loose the mega $$$$$$$$$$$$$ they make off the infertile.

Edited post.

lab mom
November 04, 2010
nobunaga
Exactly. If the doctors did that, they'd be killing the goose that's laying the defective Golden eggs....

Ka-ching. Thank you

lab mom
Anonymous User
November 05, 2010
I am annoyed by babies and the women obsessed with them as much as anyone. But there has been a correlation shown between certain types of cancers and having kids late or not at all. Since it's not experimental data, it's only a correlation: It could be that there's some genetic factor that's prevalent among smarter/more educated people (who have kids later) that also leads to cancer. On the other hand, I don't see it as a scare tactic: I just think they need to control for more variables so that we can get an idea of how not having kids/having them late really affects the chances of cCancer.
November 05, 2010
FluffyPersian, (love your avatar, btw),

I've known and seen too many who have had kids, and get endometrial, ovarian and breast cancer, to guess that those attempting a correlation (or haphazard guess) toward no kids = higher chance of cancer, to be hogwash. shrug confused smiley

lab mom
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login