Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

'former award-winning journalist' describes her life of poor decisions, depression, and drug abuse

Posted by yurble 
When I followed KABA's link in the hungry trains thread, I got the columns of one Kara Machado in my sidebar. I'm sure you would all love to hear about her exploits, which are described as:

Former award-winning journalist Kara Machado, who gave birth to her third son earlier this year, chronicles her battle against drugs, depression and evil colleagues in CLIFFVIEW PILOT's first-ever serialized report.

I've summarized, with a few quotes to illustrate points. I'll save the commentary for you...

Part I: Down in a hole
She has her second son, finishes her BA, loses her job, and moves to live with her mom and brother.

Part II: Meeting Charles Manson
She has a fascination with meeting Charles Manson, and eventually succeeds, and then gets creeped out by him. It doesn't seem to fit in with the rest of the monologue.

Part III: I am what you make me
She meets a guy named John, and hooks up with him. He moves in. He cheats on her. She kicks him out. She sleeps with him again, while he was seeing another girl. She lost her job because she was showing up late and taking too long to complete assignments. She acquires a druggie BFF.

Part IV: Worse to worst: I'm raped, my boy is beaten up
Someone puts something in her drink, and she is raped. She takes the day off work...then goes to the bar and hooks up with someone.

Shaken, stunned, saddened, I cleaned myself up -- and went out.

Don’t ask me how, or why, but there I was, back in the bar, attached to yet another no-good shit-talker.

And as I headed home later on, the CHP pulled me over. Yes, I admitted, I had been drinking. But I was slurring my words, probably because of all the chemicals running through my brain.

I argued with him, all the way to a jail cell. He argued back -- bless his heart -- trying to get me to realize that I could have gotten in a heck of a lot more trouble, that he was actually cutting me a break with a DUI.

And y’know what? That cop probably saved me from what could have been the same fate as the night before.

I called my editor the next morning. I told him what happened, and got to stay home again.

I really tried to lay low and concentrate on work after that. I kept the partying to a minimum. I cut out the recreational drug use.

I still got fired.

Her brother beats the crap out of her son. The brother ends up serving a few months in jail, but she says she's forgiven him because that's what God wants.

Part V: Idaho dreamin'
She gets back together with John, who decides he wants to move to Idaho to be near his family. She decides she is going to join him. Before she leaves, she goes through more drama, such as the utility company shutting off the water. She takes a trip to Idaho and gets knocked up with her third son. She returns home, and prepares to move to Idaho. Meanwhile, her relationship with John deteriorates, and they have regular arguments over the phone.

At some point, I got this bright idea: I’d trade my car for a motor home. Then I could have a place of my own and not have to depend on John or his family. I drove the 45 miles north of town to make the exchange, and the clunker barely made it back.

When I tried to return the hunk of shit, the guy told me he’d put more into fixing it up than I did into the motor home. If I wanted my wheels back, he said, I’d have to fork over another couple hundred bucks.

Curses. Fucked again.

Part VI: No place to live, with two boys already and another on the way
She moves in with John at his grandmother's place, but they aren't getting along. She moves out.

Before I left, I confronted John, who said he would be more concerned about the baby than me if I left. He called my two boys brats. Then he had the nerve to suggest I simply hand the baby over to him and let him be a single parent.

I decided the best thing to do was leave and raise my baby on my own, while staying close enough for John to visit.

Part VII: This close to death, saved by redemption
She's completely broke. Lots of strangers help her. A woman buys her a meal at McDonald's after seeing her scrounging for coins in her purse.

Child support was on its way, but we barely had enough to buy the kids a meal when we reached Boise. It meant we had to spend the night in the car in the Walmart parking lot.

I called my aunt and asked for a few blankets. My uncle reluctantly agreed that we could stay with them before we even left California, but he gave me such shit over it that I told him to forget it.

She gets child support, and finds a nicer hotel to stay in. She gets an apartment. She finds a private school she wants to take the children to, and the principal arranges something for them even though it is too late for scholarships. The unfurnished apartment is furnished with the help of church members and the school principal. They find a cheap TV and cable is included in the rent price. A cousin in California helps with the utility and food bills. John decides to get some education, but is constantly tempted to get involved with the women he meets there. He calls her and asks her to come pick him up so he won't be tempted, but instead she has to go to the hospital, because her pregnancy is going badly:

Physically, I was out of whack. I couldn’t breath right, my legs and ankles were so swollen and my uterus wasn’t snapping back into shape. Eventually, I ended up in the ER -- in tears, taking jagged breaths.

Before I could even sign in, a hospital employee scooped me into a wheelchair and got me onto a table. My pressure was spiking so high that blood spurted all over the place when the attendant tried to connect the IV.

I spent the next week in the Labor area, with a morphine drip. Had I waited any longer to go there, one of the attendants said, I probably would have died.

The nurses said they’d never seen a post-pregnancy like it. They later admitted they were scared for me. Turns out I had pneumonia and post-partum preeclampsia.

While she's getting her health back she gets even more help. She decides not to return to journalism and decides to go for a realtor's license. When she misses a few classes and the teacher offers some encouraging words, she breaks down in front of the class and tells them her story, and is given much sympathy. She is trying to save money for her realtor's license, although she has already been helped out by having some agency pay for her fingerprinting and exam.

But she got some other help, too:

I know it’s cliché, but Facebook helped me out of my shell by reconnecting me with people I’d lost while drowning in my troubles. Once I found them again, it was like no time had passed. They are genuinely good people.
Why do losres like her get to write columns? Is it a warning to others, a pity party, or a morality play so we can all go "tut-tut" and feel superior to her poor decision making skills?

Either way, I want to set fire to this hack writer.
Miss_Hannigan NLI
Why do losres like her get to write columns? Is it a warning to others, a pity party, or a morality play so we can all go "tut-tut" and feel superior to her poor decision making skills?

Either way, I want to set fire to this hack writer.

Judging by the last article, she sees it as a warning to others. I see it as an example of what precedes those CL posts, with a dash of FB for the bizzy moo justification.
There's not anything that she has been through that couldn't have mostly been avoided by NOT getting knocked up and shitting loaves.The vast majority of her troubles, after the drugs and booze, is without a doubt churning out baybee daddyless kyds. I have NEVER understood it when women just KEEP getting knocked up after the first one was such a disaster. At least when a childfree has bad relationships that need to end there isn't a kyd to worry about and life after a bad mate decision can go forward without a hitch. Toss a kyd (or two or three) into the mix and all of the unsavory side drama related to it and it's ALWAYS a problem. If they don't care about themselves or have any self respect, can't they at LEAST give a damn about the poor kyd's life?

Over and over they ALWAYS say, "I'd do ANYTHING for my kyds" or"My kyds are the MOST important thing in the world to me!!!!". I wish that for once that they would try walking the walk instead of just talking the talk. These women either need to learn to use birth control or put the dick down! (like Chris Rock says)

------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- -------
If YOU are the "exception" to what I am saying, then why does my commentary bother you so much?
I don't hate your kids, I HATE YOU!
What irks me is that we're supposed to admire these idiots who fall into the gutter and manage to pull themselves together. What about people like me who stayed in school, held down a job, never did drugs, drank in moderation and didn't have illegitimate kids? Where's my kudos for not screwing up my life in the first place?
I think all the money, all the awards, the praise and the tax breaks should go to people who haven't fucked up their lives. Wouldn't that be a refreshing change?

"Here's a donation of real money because you didn't fuck up your life, are living in a reponsible way, and deserve to continue forward doing good stuff in an abundant way."

Newspapers should be filled with news about how people have accomplished things OTHER than breeding. Praise and tribal support for people who are high functioning. Not this obsession with giving everything to the losers.

I was looking at some pics of people living in Sarah Palin's freakshow of a town in Alaska and I realized that that gene pool up there is very, very small. Then I realized that the same genetic problems evident in those moonlike faces are very common even where I live, if you go out and people watch at the stores and the malls for a while.

I wonder how much inbreeding really has created the problems we're having these days? Including the prevalence of "autism" etc. Right now EVERY single set of parents I know who has two or three kids has as least one autard. What the fuck is going on with our gene pool?
Oh, gag me with a wooden cooking spoon! :Violin
I stayed in school, I don't smoke, I know when to put the fucking glass down, I've never done drugs, I have my own bussiness, and I've never gotten knocked-up. Where's my fucking column??
Using a condom doesn't require a degree in engeneering!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
" ... what's one more once you've already got two shedding on the couch?"
I doubt she won the Pulitzer. Maybe a prize in high school for writing fiction. A small high school.

Sorry, but this story sounds like a bunch of hoo ha to me. Too many inconsistencies, and besides, it's hard to follow. When was the kid born? Why was she on a morphine drip in the labor unit and not in ICU where most places would admit her if her blood pressure was that high? And I've never heard of blood spurting out of the IV due to hypertension, but then again, I'm not a hack writer who makes shit up.

It really hurts my eyes to read bad writing. I should know better and give up when I realize it's crap.

Thank god for FB. It's like a big warm blanket on a cold winter day, isn't it? Sheesh.
cew
Sorry, but this story sounds like a bunch of hoo ha to me. Too many inconsistencies, and besides, it's hard to follow. When was the kid born? Why was she on a morphine drip in the labor unit and not in ICU where most places would admit her if her blood pressure was that high? And I've never heard of blood spurting out of the IV due to hypertension, but then again, I'm not a hack writer who makes shit up.

James Frey did it a bit more successfully, didn't he?
I can't locate what her prestigious "awards" were in or for, but I did run across this article that she wrote regarding her visit with Charles Manson.eye rolling smiley

http://www.cliffviewpilot.com/news/58-kara-machado/1719-kara-machado-meeting-charles-manson

------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- -------
If YOU are the "exception" to what I am saying, then why does my commentary bother you so much?
Dumbass
It meant we had to spend the night in the car in the Walmart parking lot.

CLASSY! thumbs upwink
Wow, what a trainwreck. If I'd made that many stupid choices in life and had kids with different dads and all the other shit she brought on herself, I sure as hell wouldn't be writing about it. I might, but it would be private. I wouldn't bare my dirty laundry to the world. Now in addition to drug addict, alcoholic, and slut, we can add attention whore to that list of accomplishments. I don't believe for one minute that she's got her act together and is now "cured." These sorts of choices are a personality type. She's going to keep sabotaging her life and the lives of those around her until she goes too far. What a loser. Too bad for her kids.
Sorceress
I don't believe for one minute that she's got her act together and is now "cured." These sorts of choices are a personality type. She's going to keep sabotaging her life and the lives of those around her until she goes too far.

She seems to currently be a God addict. (I'm not talking at all about the type of person who is religious, but the sort of person who puts 'God bless' at the end of a CL post, and spouts off about how others should learn from her evil past and stick to the straight and narrow.) She obviously has an addictive personality, whether she's fixating on religion, drugs, men, or murdering maniacs.

I did notice that she never mentioned who the father(s) of the first two were. She'd already had 2 before she finished her undergraduate degree, and appeared to be single when she graduated, although no doubt it took her far more than the customary 4 years to complete her degree, what with all that reproducing. I don't believe for a minute that the third one is her last one, unless the medical problems she described destroyed her ability to have more.
yurble
She seems to currently be a God addict. (I'm not talking at all about the type of person who is religious, but the sort of person who puts 'God bless' at the end of a CL post, and spouts off about how others should learn from her evil past and stick to the straight and narrow.) She obviously has an addictive personality, whether she's fixating on religion, drugs, men, or murdering maniacs.

Oh of course. Addiction is addiction, after all. She's got some idea that confessing her "sins" and encouraging others not to do what she did is making God happy and will make up for all the lives she screwed up along her selfish path.
kidlesskim
I can't locate what her prestigious "awards" were in or for, but I did run across this article that she wrote regarding her visit with Charles Manson.eye rolling smiley

http://www.cliffviewpilot.com/news/58-kara-machado/1719-kara-machado-meeting-charles-manson

Well, that was much ado about nothing. And may I ask why a mother of three would be interested in meeting a cretin who ordered the death of a poor, 8-month pregnant Sharon Tate? Ish. Manson should have been executed decades ago. This shallow "writer" is a waste of photons.
I have to wonder WHY she was interested in getting Manson's attention and determined to outsmart him. The man may be a lot of things including insane, murderous, vicious, etc......but stupid and easily outsmarted isn't on the list of adjectives that I would have used to describe him. She lied to him and then wrote that article that in my opinion was condescending to and mocking of him. Does a MOO of three really want Charles Manson, who STILL has insane nutcase cult followers in DROVES on the outside, angry with her? You'd think that she would have a little more concern for her kyds' safety than that since EVERYONE knows what he is capable of having other people to do for him.confused smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login