Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

#1608-Preserve it for MY fyooture

Posted by guest 
I love these! The Onion always manages to hit the nail on the head. When breeders talk about the future, we all know they only mean *their* future. I love the last part

"We cannot, in good conscience, lay such a burden on tomorrow's generations of Melfords. My children are the future. And at the end of the day, isn't it family—my family—that truly matters?"
CFScorpio
Re: #1608-Preserve it for MY fyooture
June 28, 2006
That was funny! I forwarded it to my "Ishmael" group. "Ishmael" is a book by Daniel Quinn about sustainability and saving the world.
Anonymous User
June 29, 2006

I know The Onion is satire, but the idea that some breeders are wasteful consumers without any regard for the Earth's resources is very true.

My DH and I have recycled for many years. Our community now has curbside recycling once a week, but even before we got that, we were taking our newspapers, bottles, etc., to the recycling center. And I take plastic grocery bags back to the store to be recycled and hangers back to the dry cleaner to be recycled. As a result, we usually have only two or three bags of trash each week.

Our curbside recycling day is Thursday, and it's also trash day. When I'm on one my runs around our neighborhood on Wednesday evening or Thursday morning, I notice that some people have set out several bags of garbage - but not the blue recycling bins that the town provides for free to everyone.

And the bags of garbage usually have newspapers, soda and juice bottles, cans, etc., that can be recycled. I've even seen people set out stacks of newspapers for the trash, instead of putting them in recycling bins.

The homes that seem to ignore recycling usually have kids' toys in the front yards and swingsets in the backyards - that is, homes with children. I guess the lazy breeders can't be bothered to set good examples for their kids and stress the importance of taking care of the environment by not being wasteful. Laziness is probably the same reason I see people using riding mowers on yards that aren't that big and could be easily mowed with a push mower.

June 29, 2006
The satire of the Onion always rings true! Those with children are always bleating the line of, "MY family....MY family...." They don't care about anyone else. It is always about them. This reminds me of when moos are on the telly news when the story is in regards to school overcrowding. Well, the problem is right there...with them. If these women did not breed so much, there would not be all of these sprogs in the schools. Of course, Moomie always thinks it is the other people's fault for having children or society's problem for not having more schools.
Anonymous User
June 29, 2006
This article is the BEST - I needed this one!

It seems to always be the rich SAHM's who suddenly get on the Earth- concious bandwagon because they're bored or it looks good to have a cause, but it's always after they've got what THEY want: (big famblees, cars, summer homes, etc).

Why didn't they care about the Earth BEFORE they had kids or accumulated so much?

And they're the last ones who'll change by giving up anything. They just make themselves feel good by getting all dressed up & driving to the next black tie benefit dinner in their SUV's.
June 29, 2006
That was so hilarious! Though, unfortunately, entirely too close to the truth.

I loved the math best - like "my 1,625 descendants". Because breeders really do NOT get this. They're all whining, "But we're ooooonly haaaving twoooooo!" They just refuse to look at the big picture down the line (i.e. overpopulation). They do NOT think they are part (hell, the CAUSE!) of the problem.
June 29, 2006
The Onion origniated in my home town and I know many of the writers. Many of them are childfree.
Feh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Onion origniated in my home town and I know
> many of the writers. Many of them are
> childfree.
>

I suspected as much. Much of what they write sounds like it's written by someone/people without kids. And like many articles, they managed to sneak in a bit - okay a lot - of truth in this one. 1,625 descendants - ha! I love it.
Anonymous User
June 29, 2006
How cool, Feh!

We need lots more magazines with a childfree bent.

This one was also hysterical:

Is Anyone On This Bus Interested In Disciplining My Son?
http://www.theonion.com/content/node/49603
Iv67, that was hilarious, and soooooooo true. I love The Onion!
hello grumpy, (lv67 :-) )

that article is so true, with riding the train i see these little brats running wildly with SAHMoo looking and not doing anything. now i have a weapon to combat the screaming little brats its called "EAR PLUGS".... :-) (wish i had a baseball bat for them too) Batter up!
Anonymous User
June 30, 2006
guest Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> hello grumpy, (lv67 :-) )
>
> Hahahaha! (this Guest is my DH- sv66) I opened my big mouth & told him about this website! lol.
June 30, 2006
welcome lv67's DH. wink..

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
June 30, 2006
They had a story once entitled something like "FDA Proves SIDS Caused By Mothers" and went on about how mothers cause SIDS because they don't love their babies enought. It was hilarious, they got alot of complaint letters.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.