Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Abusive parents

Posted by india_darshan 
Abusive parents
July 03, 2006
Sometimes, I see a really nasty kid and wished his/her moo or daddio would give a good whack. However, Feh is right how slapping and beatings do not work in most cases. A lot of times, parents only smack a child to prove something. I read a letter in today's paper that made me think a lot on this issue since I am sort of "iffy" on physical punishment.

A woman wrote in saying she took a flight from Minneapolis back to Orlando. It was time for the seatbelts to be put on. A quiet little girl of about four did not do as the instructions asked. The father slapped the child's knee and then slapped her hard across the face. The little girl cried pitifully. That did pull at my heart. A kid of four years old will most likely not understand a flight attendant's instructions. Hurting the child as well as embarrassing her in front of the other passengers is wrong and amounts to abuse!

People talk of "family values". How does slapping a child until she cries a "value"? Yet, so many people believe that breeding makes someone a quality person. I don't think so...
Grace
Re: Abusive parents
July 03, 2006
India, my experience is that my parents spanked my brother and me when we were under 6 years old and only for specific incidents of misbehavior. It didn't happen very often because we got the message the first time and didn't repeat the offending behavior. I don't think there is anything wrong with spanking as a form of discipline for small children. I think that beating with a belt or slapping across the face crosses the line between discipline and abuse. I think the problem is when the parent spanks or slaps out of anger and frustration instead of using spanking as a punishment for specific bad behavior. Some parents believe that if you spank your children, you are teaching them that it's okay to hit people. I don't believe it. I guess that makes me pro-spanking.
July 03, 2006
Grace Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> India, my experience is that my parents spanked my
> brother and me when we were under 6 years old and
> only for specific incidents of misbehavior. It
> didn't happen very often because we got the
> message the first time and didn't repeat the
> offending behavior. I don't think there is
> anything wrong with spanking as a form of
> discipline for small children. I think that
> beating with a belt or slapping across the face
> crosses the line between discipline and abuse. I
> think the problem is when the parent spanks or
> slaps out of anger and frustration instead of
> using spanking as a punishment for specific bad
> behavior. Some parents believe that if you spank
> your children, you are teaching them that it's
> okay to hit people. I don't believe it. I guess
> that makes me pro-spanking.

Same here.
Also, I've seen plenty of parents that abuse their kids, who should of NEVER been parents in the first place.
July 04, 2006
I'm also pro-spanking because, most of the time, kids don't understand the value of words, and sometimes they need to be whipped across the ass to make them realize what they're doing is wrong. But there are people who just wail their children to relieve child-induced stress, anger, or whatever else...and that kind of behavior is not something I advocate. People who beat their kids to a bloody pulp fall into the same category with those people who shake babies out of frustration or irritation.

As we all know, children are a huge source of stress, among other things. Sometimes I can't blame parents when they beat the crap out of their kids - if something is annoying you that badly, you're going to want to take your frustration out on the source, right? Like I said before, I don't advocate beating kids...but these people are ones that should never have had children. I believe I myself would fall neatly into the category of "I beat my kids to relieve the stress they cause me"...especially considering I don't use alcohol or drugs as an outlet for my stress like some people.
July 04, 2006
I would say I am pro-spanking, too, because many children do not understand words or "reason". Grace, you are right how slapping a child across the face is wrong. What the father did on the plane was wrong because he was showing the rest of the passengers that he was out-of-control. A spanking is fine because that will teach a child how to behave properly if s/he has done something unacceptable.
Sherz
July 04, 2006
I'm pro-spanking for certain situations. When the child is too young to really understand your words, such as a toddler playing with an electric socket. A smack on the hand, and telling them that the socket can hurt them helps them to associate something that is a danger with pain. When time out, taking away priviledges, or items, isn't making the point, I think a spanking can be the last resort. I don't think spanking should ever be a first resort if the child's offense is hitting. It seems ridiculous to say, "No hitting," and then spank the kid! I don't think anyone, for any reason should smack someone in the face. The hand or bottom seems to be the only correct place for a swat. I also think once a child gets to be a certain age, that spanking doesn't work as well as taking away items and priviledges.

I was spanked, and I never felt like a child abuse victim, and I'm almost normal! smiling smiley
July 04, 2006
Sherz, you and Grace are absolutely right. Spanking was a thing of my generation. I came out okay despite getting a few of those. It is also true how spanking does not work after a certain age and how hitting in the face is not appropriate. The child not putting on the seat belt in the plane should have been dealt with differently than King Daddio slapping the child hard.
July 04, 2006
the problem is people who are anti smacking think theres no difference between a slap across the legs and a punch.. i was slapped across the legs 3 fingers didnt leave a mark, but it was a short sharp shock.. and it stopped me..

a slap across the face is wrong. unless its in certain special cases like hysterics etc..

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.